PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Celtics legend Bill Russell passes away

An immutable legend, a GOAT with no peer relative to accomplishment, fiercely outspoken and forward with his perspective of the social injustices that surrounded his time, sport, and place.

There is a short list of people that I reference when looking for an example of true leadership, and Russell tops that list.

Rest in power, rest in peace.

Greatest American team sport Athlete, and a better Person. RIP MR. Russell. My Father taught me about being great by comparing Russell to Chamberlin, 'Bill made all the players he played with better'.

Countless times it's stated someone was better than Bill:
Hall Of Fame Lol GIF by NBA

Last edited:
RIP to a classy gentleman. I met him in 1976 as I worked as a bellhop at Dunfeys Hyannis Resort. He and Wayne Embry arrived by cab and as I unloaded the trunk.
I noticed on top were golf clubs as tall as I am. I remember all the employees tried to get his autograph with no luck.Finally at checkout the lady desk clerk convinced him he needed to sign his bill.

Last edited:
Him, Jim Brown and Ali, 3 guys who laid their livelhood on the line for their beliefs. Everybody remembers him against chamberlain, but the one I remember fondly were against Nate Thurmond in an all star game for some reason. It wasn't until I was in high school '67 that I learned of the crap he went thru. It is unbelievable that stuff could even occurr.

A true champion. On and off the court. The world needs more Bill Russells. May he rest in peace.

I remember a quote from a retired Jerry West who was asked if he had to start a basketball team, what player would he build around. Unsurprisingly, he picked his former teammate Wilt Chamberlain. But then he added, "But if I had to win one game and my life depended on it, that person would be Bill Russell."

Him, Jim Brown and Ali, 3 guys who laid their livelhood on the line for their beliefs. Everybody remembers him against chamberlain, but the one I remember fondly were against Nate Thurmond in an all star game for some reason. It wasn't until I was in high school '67 that I learned of the crap he went thru. It is unbelievable that stuff could even occurr.
After reading a quite detailed Wiki bio I realized his life story deserves a movie treatment. Incidents in Kentucky and NC where Russell fought against racism would make for powerful scenes.

I watched him at the Old Garden as a kid.
Greatest winner in the history of team sports. Rocket Richard also had 11 but it took him a lot longer to do it.
But as great as he was as a player that pales in comparison to who he was as a man.
Many of you know I'm a Boston native who has a deep love of that city.
But Boston in the 50's and 60's was a racist town- as was most of America.
I have intimate knowledge of what was going on as my Dad was on the Frontline fighting it. So was Russell. It took guts for both of them. Big Bill was in the middle of winning Championships but couldn't buy a house anywhere in the Greater Boston area. It was all illegal,of course what all these real estate companies were doing.
It took him a long time to finally get a house.
It was a very happy day for me when Bill finally reconciled with Boston and his statue was installed. Unlike knuckleheads like Lebron,Bill actually experienced racism in Boston. But he still ended up loving the city.

The greatest winner in team professional sports history.

So awesome how he wouldn't sign autographs but would shake your hand instead.

An indomitable will.

RIP Russ

Yep; and if I had ever become a successful pro jock, I don’t think I would’ve signed autographs either… People can sell autographs, but they can’t sell handshakes… (edit: or looking at someone eye-to-eye either…)

Last edited:

Two out of three ain’t bad…

Yep; and if I had ever become a successful pro jock, I don’t think I would’ve signed autographs either… People can sell autographs, but they can’t sell handshakes…
Russ actively despised phonyness, and it hurt his popularity, but he didn't care.

Imagine if Jordan had called everyone out on their hyperbole about him.

"Hey, I try, but I'm not as good as Wilt or Kareem or Larry. Russell? Don't be stupid. I'll be lucky to be as good as Hawkins, or Lucas, or Baylor, or West."

Another thing I admired about Bill Russell: I forget where I read this, but after the Cs lost in the finals the year after they won their first championship, they were in their locker room stewing over their defeat and after a few minutes Russell stood up and said “C’mon men, let’s congratulate the winners…” So they all got up and walked to the other locker room and did just that…

What a class act.

(Sorry for the lack of details; I’m typing this on my cell phone from the Big Island and can’t easily access info on another page, but I really wanted to add my thoughts on his passing before I return home in 10 days…)

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back