PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Catching up with Drew Bledsoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Catching up with Drew Beldsoe

Wow, he sounds like he has such a great life. It is really sad when you compare him to Brett Favre.....Favre definitely does seem lost and like he's going to play until his limbs are forcibly removed.

Drew's life sounds both exciting and peaceful. And he has his health too! Good for him.

Good job by Borges, Glad to hear Drew is doing well. Troy Brown was talking about this article and about Drew on EEI this morning, Troy had a lot of good things say about the type of football player and person Drew was.

Nice article.

when you compare him to Brett Favre.....Favre definitely does seem lost and like he's going to play until his limbs are forcibly removed.

It is not exactly like anyone has ever gone to Drew's winery begging him to play. Drew didn't leave with an oppertunity to be a starting QB anywhere.

He had lost his job to three understudies. One being an UDFA, another a 6 round pick. He could have stayed in the NFL but he would have been a "vet backup". Or maybe at best a stop gap for a half a season while a first round rookie got his feel for the NFL.

Good to see a man who lives life with an open and forward mind. Nice article by Ron who has a great relationship with Drew. As an aside ... that 78% stat is troubling. the NFL and the players association have many great education programs for the players ... everyone needs to work harder to get that 78% number lower.

As an aside ... that 78% stat is troubling. the NFL and the players association have many great education programs for the players ... everyone needs to work harder to get that 78% number lower.

I would go out on a limb and guess that probably among players like Bledsoe and Brady who came from 2 parent families living in suburbia, somewhere in the middle income bracket and who would have gone to college even with out a football scholarship the % is well below 78%. And among the football players who came from broken homes, who lived in the ghetto, at or near the poverty line the number is damn near 100% and that no NFL program will ever change that.

Last edited:

The road to relevance started with Drew Bledsoe and not Tom Brady. I will always remember the comeback overtime win against the Queens back in the day or the overtime win against the Phoons. Those games will always stick in my mind when I think about Bledsoe.

What an impressive, well rounded human being.

I remember getting his and his father Mac Bledsoe's book about parenting more than a decade ago.

For those posters in the other thread who crowed about their "rooting for the laundry" and that "players who are in other uniforms are dead to me" - - this is what is called a true life perspective.

It was interesting to learn that the Jaguars called to see if he wanted to join them, was this ever made public knowledge back in the day?

Interesting that the Patriots 6-1 record has driven Wrong Borgia back to the Bledsoe card once again...what, there's nothing CURRENT like say, Tom Brady, to write about Wrong?

Interesting that the Patriots 6-1 record has driven Wrong Borgia back to the Bledsoe card once again...what, there's nothing CURRENT like say, Tom Brady, to write about Wrong?

Exactly, Borges is so transparent. "Hey I'll write a feel good puff piece on the guy that used to feed me inside information". His warped judgment hasn't allowed him to write a relevant article during the whole Belichick era. Like you said, nothing to write about on the 6-1 Patriots? Lazy and ethically challenged journalism.

It is not exactly like anyone has ever gone to Drew's winery begging him to play. Drew didn't leave with an oppertunity to be a starting QB anywhere.

He had lost his job to three understudies. One being an UDFA, another a 6 round pick. He could have stayed in the NFL but he would have been a "vet backup". Or maybe at best a stop gap for a half a season while a first round rookie got his feel for the NFL.

Do you always claim to know facts about situations that you clearly know nothing about? You obviously didn't read the article. After he retired he was offered the starting job in Jacksonville and a ton of money to go with it, and he turned it down.

His only hesitation came when Jack Del Rio called the following year. At the time, the Jaguars were a playoff-ready team that was an experienced quarterback away. Bledsoe was committed to moving on, but there was something about Del Rio that made him stop and thinkand then he kept walking.

“I did a lot of soul searching,” Bledsoe admitted. “It was a last chance to play and they call it ’play’ because it’s fun, but I never played for the paycheck or when my heart wasn’t 100 percent in it and I wasn’t going to do it now.

“The more I thought about it the more I realized the reason I was considering it was because the money was stupid. That wasn’t a good reason to go back.

Last edited:

It was interesting to learn that the Jaguars called to see if he wanted to join them, was this ever made public knowledge back in the day?
I don't recall that being public knowledge, though that was a while ago so I could be mistaken. However I do remember at that time Bledsoe more or less saying that if he wasn't going to start then he didn't want to play, that he didn't want to continue his career as a backup. It's possible that he saw Garrard on Jacksonville's roster and didn't want to go through another season of starting and then being replaced - although the article doesn't look at it from that angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back