PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel's legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

makoute

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Seeing how Cassel has the ability to move, would it benefit the team to have him run more.

The more he runs, the more risk of injury.

When you have Randy Moss and Wes Welker, having a mobile QB shouldn't really be a necessity.

If he learns when to run and when not to it could provide a nice dimension to our offense if used sparingly and not as a habit. Against Miami he took off on a play that had no chance to get the 1st and ended up fumbling. So maybe with experience they'll prove handy. He did have a nice 3rd down run against KC.

It might more beneficial if they roll Cassel away from pressure once in a while to go down the field or take the yards in from of him when rolling out.

Matt's married to a volleyball player ... I think she should help train him to jump and pass more like a volleyball striker. :p

run the option. miami's college plays worked

Seeing how Cassel has the ability to move, would it benefit the team to have him run more.
Fair enough question. Some pundits have recommended he be used that way noting that rolling out young QBs cuts the field in half and reduces the reads they need to make.

I believe Josh has faith in Cassel's ability to read the defense and wants to keep him in the pocket to develop his skills there rather then limit him to a more easily defensed half field.

Matt has played four more or less complete games at NFL speeds since high school, he does read slower than Tommy at this point. Reiss posted stats for the first three games which showed Cassel is doing well on third downs, and still struggling in the red zone - I consider that a positive sign of his progress and believe patience from the coaches, improved blocking, and better rapport with the receivers will be rewarded as the season unfolds. Mix in better run blocking and things could get really fun.

The more he runs, the more risk of injury.

When you have Randy Moss and Wes Welker, having a mobile QB shouldn't really be a necessity.
yes htats the point we will then have oconell playing

I don't know if anybody else noticed this, but he seemed to run into pressure rather than away from it.

This is a disturbing thread title. :D

But really, he's not going to develop pocket presence by running away. I bet he gets marked down for it if he does when there are visible better options available.

run the option. miami's college plays worked

That may be a good idea, McDaniels play calling is getting stale, time for more innovative play calling. Does not have to be the option just different plays. Cassel could be more successful if his legs are added to the offense, worth a try.

I was hoping to see a bootleg in the last game, it would be totally unexpected and be good to use in a 3rd & short or near the goal line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes