PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel named AFC Offensive Player of the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Re: Matt Cassel - AFC Offensive Player of the Week

Nice rant. :D

Yeah, we definitely have some cross-over there. I remember when I had no one on my ignore list. Like 4 or 5 weeks ago!

Thanks.

I remember those days too...I called them "July". :D

Thanks.

I remember those days too...I called them "July". :D

Well you do have to admit that we had a lot more members to add to our ignore lists after that fateful day last month.....

I thought Sammy Morris should be the one winning that, Matt Cassel didn't suck, but he wasn't great either.
138 yds rushing in 1 half deserve to be honored.

Agreed, Morris fired up the whole team with his tackle breaking runs, i hope his knee heals fast.

This award was good for Cassel's confidence however so i am good with it.

I am sorry, but those who begrudge Cassel this award can not be considered a fan of the NEP.

If you didn't see in Cassel what BB did coming out of training camp, fine. Questioning before the KC game, sure you can still be a fan of the NEP. Hoping that BB signs a Vet, sure you can still be considered fan.

But when cross the line into being disappointed at the success and awards earned a NEP player because it contradicts your notion of how the team ought be managed you cease to be a fan.

If the Patriots or Cassel's success disappoints you because you care more about being "right" about Cassel than watching the team win, then you are not a fan of the NEP. No matter how long you have watch them on TV or if you have season tickets.

If the NEP win the SB and Cassel wins the MVP, the same folks biching about this award will claim some other player, but not Cassel ought have gotten the MVP and will still be claiming he should have been cut in training camp.

Any QB with a 41-7 victory under his belt and a 135 passer rating in ANY particular game is most certainly going to win POW over ANY RB who played HALF A GAME...jeezus, why does this even NEED explanation?

I am sorry, but those who begrudge Cassel this award can not be considered a fan of the NEP.

If you didn't see in Cassel what BB did coming out of training camp, fine. Questioning before the KC game, sure you can still be a fan of the NEP. Hoping that BB signs a Vet, sure you can still be considered fan.

But when cross the line into being disappointed at the success and awards earned a NEP player because it contradicts your notion of how the team ought be managed you cease to be a fan.

If the Patriots or Cassel's success disappoints you because you care more about being "right" about Cassel than watching the team win, then you are not a fan of the NEP. No matter how long you have watch them on TV or if you have season tickets.

If the NEP win the SB and Cassel wins the MVP, the same folks biching about this award will claim some other player, but not Cassel ought have gotten the MVP and will still be claiming he should have been cut in training camp.

Very well said.

It will be funny the next time he doesn't play so great and everyone on the board is calling for him to be benched again.

I'm honestly very glad that he's getting some recognition for playing well, and hopefully it continues to boost his confidence for the final stretch.

I'll admit i said the worst about him, I also said I thought I was wrong. I do have to see a couple good games in a row from him before I take back my comments though.

+1

Clapping.gif

I mean he only threw three touchdowns. There's nothing special there right?

:rolleyes:

Three TDs against no turnovers is really good; no disputing that. The numbers definately looked better than Cassel did on the field. The throw to Moss in the endzone was Matt's highlight of the game.

Still, the NFL continues to make this award a joke IMO when they give it to someone who played a good (i.e. above average) game against an atrocious defense and got a break or two (particularly the non-interception). This certainly isn't as bad as Bruschi getting the DPOTW award when he got back on the field.

Last edited:
Grats to Cassel, I don't really believe he deserved it, but he did play decent and hopefully he can build on this for next week.

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment.

I'm sorry, some of us care more about calling it as we see it than letting favoritism color our thinking. I think your comment is off the deep end. Do you feel the same way about Bruschi earning the Defensive Player of the Week a few years ago? Or perhaps you agreed with a few others that that was a stretch?

I'm sorry, some of us care more about calling it as we see it than letting favoritism color our thinking. I think your comment is off the deep end. Do you feel the same way about Bruschi earning the Defensive Player of the Week a few years ago? Or perhaps you agreed with a few others that that was a stretch?

I agree. That statement is just crazy. The fact that people quote it and say good post is disappointing.

You guys realize the vast majority of fans in the league are *surprised* (to put it kindly) about this award, Patriots fans included? Matt Cassel himself said he was surprised. The fact that people might question it does not automatically boot them out of some exclusive "Patriots fans" club. Please get off your high horses.

Last edited:
Congrats to Matty. Hopefully he keeps improving. I thought that Sammy Morris or the Titans' RBs were better selections, but good for him.

No, you care more about you preseason prediction that Matt Cassel ought be cut, then you do about either honestly assessing the team or its players.

You predicted Denver would win 31-17. Cause you had no confidence in the team and were surprised they were favored.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-contest-week-7-den-ne-page7.html#post1114222

Then despite predicting a Denver win. You were not impressed by the win despite the huge advantage on the scoreboard. You went on to explain the only reason the Patriots won is because Denver stunk.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england.../10/170616-odds-ends-victory.html#post1121363

You are letting your hatred of Matt cloud your judgment. Didn't want him on the team. And you are unwilling to admit BB was right and you were wrong.

How the hell were 3 of the 6 sacks Matt's fault? 4 of the 6 were directly the fault of Morris, Watson, Faulk, and Thomas not being able to block on a situation where the D-line tipped its hand to the blitz WAY early.

You may be right; I'd have to rewatch the plays where the sacks happened. I picked this up from PatFanKen's comments as well as my general impression after watching the game.

Last edited:
After every sack I find myself saying "at least he held onto the ball".

Take a look around the league. You guys really want a Kurt Warner on a team like this?

Cassel plays like holding onto the rock is the most important thing in the game, and it is. Like others said, it could be SO much worse.

Agreed. 10 chars

************, New Englanders would crap on Christmas, given the chance.

And many do given the focus on materialism, the long lines at stores, full parking lots, stress of buying for everyone, increase in suicide rates... You, however, seem to be focusing on ************. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe