PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carter Fined $15k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buchanty

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I don't usually start new threads but I was angered by the league fining Carter for the same amount of money as Garay for hitting/tackling the quarterback. Garay's offense was by far the worse of the two, while Carter may have lowered his helmet I susepect he did so to avoid a helmet to helmet. As others have said text book tackle.

Carter even noted the difference between this and his previous fine where the former was at least 2-3 seconds after the ball had gone, this was only milliseconds.

What really gets me angry is that Carter also earned a penalty on the field (and another automatic 1st down), so effectively he was punished more than Garay, and while that is a product of referee blindness, I would have thought that the league would have taken that into consideration. It only adds fuel to the belief that Goodell and his penalizers are out to get the Pats and Steelers.

Last edited:
I'm all for protecting the leagues most valuable assets (QBs), and even I think this is getting wayyy out of hand.

Taking away a QBs confidence is so important to a defense, and if they can't be hit that's very difficult to do.

Offensively, this league is going to turn into Arena Football.

Deus must be asleep at the keyboard this morning so I will speak for him:

Worst. Commissioner. Ever.:D

Someone probably complained about it so they took a reactive approach to keep everyone happy. The league has no balls.

Last edited:
I don't know that Carter deserves less than $15k (which is .67% of what he's making this year), but Garay sure as hell deserved about 10 times the $15k he got.

Hopefully Kraft repays these guys straight cash homie with a wink and a nod.

Once again, Goodell is an idiot. A bloated incompetent egomaniacal idiot.

I feel bad for Goodell. He never was capable of his job and was placed in a position he's not qualified to have. I really do feel bad for the guy because I think he really is trying his best to do what's right. He just has the mental capacity of a drunk hermit crab.

What was the call on the field...Driving the qb into the ground?

How should have Carter tackled Rivers?

This REALLY urinates me off!

Hopefully Kraft repays these guys straight cash homie with a wink and a nod.
I don't see how that could go badly. Except the salary cap violation and tax fraud they'd be committing.

Don't tell nobody outside the family.

Wrap him in bubble-wrap before taking himn down?

I think the 2 hits send the wrong message to fans and I have no idea how the defenders take it.

First, there needs to be consistency.
Second, I think hits need to have a set minimum $$$ and a percentage of pay calculation.
The penalty should be applied by taking the greater of the 2 dollar amounts and we need to have a fairly good understanding of how penalties are assessed (it will still be subjective, but he can help himelf out by identiying a system).

Look at the "reactive" Merriweather hit last year. along with the Steelers Harrison. they each got 50K fines, but the dollars were a smaller percentage of Harrisons total compensation (meaning it has less of an impact).

First of all it was a bad call, it was a perfectly legal tackle, BUT then to have the league actually review it and fine Carter is just insane! I am not happy with the way things are going!

He should have picked Rivers up, cradled him in his arms, and layed him gently on the ground, while making sure to support the poor things head. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
First of all it was a bad call, it was a perfectly legal tackle, BUT then to have the league actually review it and fine Carter is just insane! I am not happy with the way things are going!

I can understand the penalty because from the ref's angle it might have looked like the top of Carter's helmet hit PR's facemask. But the fine I don't get at all.

I don't know that Carter deserves less than $15k (which is .67% of what he's making this year), but Garay sure as hell deserved about 10 times the $15k he got.

Carter didn't deserve to be fined at all because the penalty was bogus to begin with. That was a Textbook tackle that Carter made and he was in mid air before the ball was released. Penalizing him was BS..

I think at the time the ref said "Leading with the hairline", which I'd never heard before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down