PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carr vs Lucien

Status
Not open for further replies.

varjao

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Unless BB makes a move, one of the two will get the last WR spot. I think it's a little too late for trading for a seasoned WR with a bit of a name, so any trade would actually be for what many here call, a JAG. Or a castoff that didn't make the 53 of other team.

Actually it could be Carr x Lucien x WR cut from other team or traded to the Pats, but for now let's work under the assumption that there's no trade.

Between the 2, I'd rather give Carr a shot. Lucien I think can make it to the PS, Carr can as well, but I think there is a chance he get's claimed. If that happens so be it, you have to take risks, so this "better chance to make it to the PS" should not be a decisive factor.

I couldn't watch last night's game, so what I say is based on training camp reports and the first 3 pre season games. I think Lucien doesn't fill any void on the offense, we already have intermediate and deep threat guys, we need to look for someone who can fill Jules role, and that can be Amendola (so you need another WR to fill in for Amendola's role anyway) or Carr. There's the RB's but let's keep the discussion under WR so right now because there will be a #5 WR on the roster. No way they go with only 4 with Mitchell banged up and Dola's history.

More, it's a small sample, but I think Carr did show more of that X factor that can make a player successful or functional on this league. Right now Lucien has shown to me that he is one of those players that you pray to never see the field in regular season games and get's disappointed when he's there and nothing works. Remember Josh Boyce? He was a great pre season player.

So my choice is Carr and the reasons are above. We will probably get an answer tomorrow.

Lucien would help the team the most, but foster has gotten so much playing time this preseason, I'm gonna bet he's at most risk of being picked up by another team.

Lucien is the guy you don't want to see in a regular season game? Would you feel better about Foster? I honestly want Bolden carrying the ball before foster.

I saw the thread title an my immediate reaction was, "Crap! I'm not up for a math quiz today!"

I was able to watch the game last night and I was impressed by Lucien and Foster. I hope both make the 53. With Mitchell a question mark for Wk 1, I vote for Lucien.

I found it interesting that JG was praising Carr greatly yesterday - about how he had shown well, had tremendous work ethic. Maybe because he was asked, maybe because he was lobbying for the future. They seem to have a rapport.

IF the choice is between Carr and Lucien, I would take Lucien.

I'm not certain that either Carr or Lucien are particularly roster-worthy at this point. OTOH, while some percentage of the 1000+ players who will be waived or cut will be WRs, there's no guarantee that any of them will be any better at the #5 WR spot, even on a temporary basis until it's certain that Mitchell is sufficiently healthy. Even so, a lot of the "better" WRs who may be waived won't make it down to the Pats claim priority. It's not a free-for-all smorgasboard, y'know. There is a queue. So, it seems to me that there's about a 50-50 chance that the Pats keep one of Carr or Lucien through 4pm tomorrow. It's probably also about a 50-50 chance that one or both get claimed off waivers if the Pats don't keep them through this weekend.

Personally, I lean very slightly toward keeping Carr because I feel like he may have more upside than Lucien. Just a feeling, though.

That "temporary basis" possibility seems to get overlooked a lot. Just because Carr or Lucien is on the 53-man tomorrow night doesn't mean that they're on the roster for the rest of the season, or even beyond week-1. Same thing applies to Foster.

I think the more interesting question is Foster versus either Carr or Lucien (or O'Shaugnessy or Hollister, for that matter), at least if you're willing to think outside the box of positional designations.

It seems to me that Gillislee, White and Burkhead will be the primary rushers this season, with the latter two running routes out of the backfield frequently. Lewis and Foster both have the chops to run a lot of routes out of the slot, and both seem to me to have shown better downfield blocking than either of the two candidates for TE #3 (as have Carr and Lucien). Both Lewis and Foster have fielded kicks. Foster fielded some punts in 2016 camp (+/- 11yd average, which is adequate). So, both maybe offer an extra dimension that neither Carr nor Lucien do. Keeping Foster around for an extra week or two wouldn't hurt, either.

Also, if the Pats decline to keep either TE #3 candidate, it's hypothetically possible to roster all the "RBs", including special-teamer Bolden, AND keep Brissett as QB3. Depends on how many of the players with "undisclosed" injuries are headed to IR.

The point to me is ensuring that there are enough viable receiving targets available each week to cover all the routes that need to be covered to implement the playbook that's been customized for that week's opponent. It doesn't really matter to me what a guy's positional designation is.

I think Carr is a better player and better fit for the offense, so between the two of them I'd go with him as a receiver. But realistically it will likely come down to who's better on ST, and even then there's a good chance neither makes it.

I slightly favor Carr since I think he offers more potential working from the slot, whereas my sense is that Lucien is a better outside guy. I am worried about Amendola's durability, hence slot skills are needed more.

I'd take both and drop a Tight end.
Hollister can sneak on the practice squad.
Foster has to make the roster for his Swiss army knife abilities.
The more you can do you know.

Unfortunately neither is a returner or playing ST at all.

I don't have the answer to the question, but in this equation it would seem among the choices mentioned, the winners of the roster lottery will be those who have the better ST's skills. To the Carr boosters, I'm not sure he has had much of a roll on ST's this TC.

As an aside, look for the Pats to be in the running for Kenan Reynolds, the former Navy QB who has ST's skills as he seeks to transition from a QB to a WR. Just a thought

I don't have the answer to the question, but in this equation it would seem among the choices mentioned, the winners of the roster lottery will be those who have the better ST's skills. To the Carr boosters, I'm not sure he has had much of a roll on ST's this TC.

As an aside, look for the Pats to be in the running for Kenan Reynolds, the former Navy QB who has ST's skills as he seeks to transition from a QB to a WR. Just a thought

In that vein, I suppose we could bring back Griff Whelan or Boyce. :)

Reynolds has the edge. He is NAVY, and he's a PR.

Besides the need at wr, Jules and Cyrus were the top 2 prs. It's a no-brainer BB will see if he can find a vet somewhere who can do both. Returns are too crucial to entrust to rookies. Chung and dola can both do it, but major injury risk with Danny. Cooks jumps out, but too valuable as a wr to risk it.
Lucien and Carr to ps.
Hopefully, a capable vereran becomes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes