PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cardinals cellphone breaks

I can't be the only one who sees the irony in a bunch of people being on a Patriots forum in the middle of the work day complaining about how players are being given cell phone breaks during work. If you're posting here at noon on a Wednesday then "people shouldn't be online and staring at a screen during the workday" is a pretty odd stance to take.

That reminds me. I just completed my 11th year of retirement.

Yeah they are.
Not important enough to be addicted to.
Not important enough to look at while driving or walking down the sidewalk

Not important enough to panic if you leave your house to go the store and forget your phone.

Not important enough for your employer to give you a break just to use your cell phone:p

Important when you need them, but no more so than other things we use in life. They are not part of us

I don’t have a problem with them cornering an untapped market and making a profit. That’s the spirit of Capitalism. Good for them. And it certainly wasn’t by accident. They all had to work hard for it. But there is no question that society is, in many ways, worse off than better off because of their contributions. A computer in one’s hand with unprecedented access to information was supposed to make society smarter. But we have never been dumber, IMO.

In any event, I just wanted you to pump the brakes before celebrating Jobs as a father. By many accounts, the man was a complete piece of garbage.

By no means am I celebrating him. I posted that excerpt from an article that discussed tech CEO's in general:

Yet these tech C.E.O.’s seem to know something that the rest of us don’t.

Chris Anderson, the former editor of Wired and now chief executive of 3D Robotics, a drone maker, has instituted time limits and parental controls on every device in his home. “My kids accuse me and my wife of being fascists and overly concerned about tech, and they say that none of their friends have the same rules,” he said of his five children, 6 to 17. “That’s because we have seen the dangers of technology firsthand. I’ve seen it in myself, I don’t want to see that happen to my kids.”

When used properly, I think smart devices are a boon- and can be helpful. But they shouldn't replicate or replace behaviors that contribute to our well-being and health, such as a healthy social life, or engaging in purposeful activities that stimulate brain activity, instead of making the brain a passive participant.

Last edited:

Not important enough to panic if you leave your house to go the store and forget your phone.

Not important enough for your employer to give you a break just to use your cell phone:p

Important when you need them, but no more so than other things we use in life. They are not part of us
That’s your opinion. That they are in the hands of almost everyone in the continental United States makes them indeed an important aspect of life. For better or worse.

That’s your opinion. That they are in the hands of almost everyone in the continental United States makes them indeed an important aspect of life. For better or worse.
Most of what I listed is truth. Certainly the comment on viewing your phone while driving is fact.

I can’t count how many cars I see appear drunk because they not only wander within their lane, they often wander over the rumble strip at 80 mph

Nothing is that important and if you search phone addiction, it’s a serious problem for society. I think all cars should have something that disables texting while driving...including while at traffic signals

Most of what I listed is truth. Certainly the comment on viewing your phone while driving is fact.

I can’t count how many cars I see appear drunk because they not only wander within their lane, they often wander over the rumble strip at 80 mph

Nothing is that important and if you search phone addiction, it’s a serious problem for society. I think all cars should have something that disables texting while driving...including while at traffic signals
None of this even remotely disputes that cell phones are, indeed, an important part of life in 2019 and beyond.

do you dance and clap while you sing this?

do you dance and clap while you sing this?
Good one IC! I’m guilty of over using my phone and it frustrates me. But if I get a text on the road, I never look at it. I use hands free and keep my eyes on the road.

It’s a big problem and all you have to is search the WWW

Good one IC! I’m guilty of over using my phone and it frustrates me. But if I get a text on the road, I never look at it. I use hands free and keep my eyes on the road.

It’s a big problem and all you have to is search the WWW

pretty sad state of affairs

How does one ignore a thread? I keep thinking someones cell phone broke and it makes me nervous...

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back