PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carbrera rumors back in 04?

jbb9s

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
What is up with WEEI always insinuating that there are nasty rumors about why the Sox did not resign Cabrera after the WS in 2004? They talked about it Sunday and said it was "not appropriate for the radio". Details? Links?

What is up with WEEI always insinuating that there are nasty rumors about why the Sox did not resign Cabrera after the WS in 2004? They talked about it Sunday and said it was "not appropriate for the radio". Details? Links?

I heard he shagged Tito's wife... or tried to. Completely unsubstantiated though. Just what I heard from someone who interned @ the station (WEEI).

He liked teenage girls ... a bit too much.

He liked teenage girls ... a bit too much.

Also heard this.
pigskinp.gif

Also heard this.
pigskinp.gif

also heard ... unconfirmed was that he was very rude to the clubhouse employees. Not sure how true that one was. People that knew him generally said he's just not a nice guy. Then again ... for the money I would take Cabrera of a few years ago over JD Drew all day long. Cabrera always gave everything he had - he was a true dirt dog.

I heard he shagged Tito's wife... or tried to. Completely unsubstantiated though. Just what I heard from someone who interned @ the station (WEEI).

Tito's? The only other link I could find of this said it was Foulke's wife......this leads me to believe these rumors are unreliable. Although it both could be true.

The simple and sad truth is that the Sox just saw Renteria as better.

I know someone who worked in the clubhouse during that time period, I oughta ask them if they heard any rumblings. I've heard about Manny having affairs w a teammate's wife, but never anything about Cabrera. Since I was a Manny homer, I didn't want to buy it, but now it seems pretty reasonable.

Then again ... for the money I would take Cabrera of a few years ago over JD Drew all day long. Cabrera always gave everything he had - he was a true dirt dog.

Cabrera has a career OPS of .716. Well below league average.

JD Drew has a career OPS of .888. Well above league average. Cabrera isn't fit to hold drew's jock strap.

The fact that Drew doesn't throw his bat when he strikes out doesn't make him a bad player, and doesn't mean he isn't trying. The team needs guys who aren't hotheads.

That, and letting Cabrera walk netted us a first round pick and a sandwich pick.

Here are the Red Sox 2005 first and first round sandwich picks. Two of these players were drafted with the picks netted because Cabrera was signed by someone else:

1 23 Jacoby Ellsbury, Oregon State
1 26 Craig Hansen, St. John's
1a 42 Clay Buchholz, Angelina College (Texas)
1a 45 Jed Lowrie, Stanford
1a 47 Michael Bowden, Waubonsie Valley HS (Ill.)

Last edited:

JD Drew has a career OPS of .888. Well above league average. Cabrera isn't fit to hold drew's jock strap.

The fact that Drew doesn't throw his bat when he strikes out doesn't make him a bad player, and doesn't mean he isn't trying. The team needs guys who aren't hotheads.

That, and letting Cabrera walk netted us a first round pick and a sandwich pick.

Here are the Red Sox 2005 first and first round sandwich picks. Two of these players were drafted with the picks netted because Cabrera was signed by someone else:

1 23 Jacoby Ellsbury, Oregon State
1 26 Craig Hansen, St. John's
1a 42 Clay Buchholz, Angelina College (Texas)
1a 45 Jed Lowrie, Stanford
1a 47 Michael Bowden, Waubonsie Valley HS (Ill.)

They let him go in 2004. They could have brought him back a number of times after recieving the draft pick compensation, including this season, when he was shopped to Boston, and Theo again passed. Clearly, there is something behind the lines that has kept them from aquiring him a second time. I've heard the underage girls, Foulke's wife rumors as well. Who knows what's true, as they are rumors, but clearly something off the field was up, cuz Cabrera was the best SS the Sox have had since Nomar, and he hasn't been back.

Comparing Drew's OPS to Cabrera's is unfair. One is a SS where offense has been historically limited, while the other is a corner outfielder where offense is expected. I think the poster was comparing salary, and maybe priority, in saying he'd rather (invest in) have Cabrera over Drew.

They let him go in 2004. They could have brought him back a number of times after recieving the draft pick compensation, including this season, when he was shopped to Boston, and Theo again passed.

Maybe its just because hes not that good? He's got a career .700 OPS. Lowrie was better than that his rookie year, and Lowrie is statistically a MUCH better defender. (lowrie: +22 Runs per 150 games, OCab: +4 runs per 150 game career).

For the record, Cabrera has been terrible defensively this year (-13 runs per 150)

Maybe its just because hes not that good? He's got a career .700 OPS. Lowrie was better than that his rookie year, and Lowrie is statistically a MUCH better defender. (lowrie: +22 Runs per 150 games, OCab: +4 runs per 150 game career).

For the record, Cabrera has been terrible defensively this year (-13 runs per 150)

Lowrie is in no way a better defender (or player) than Orlando Cabrera. Absolutely no way dude. Maybe someday he'll be (I highly doubt it), but certainly not right now. Defensive stats are far from a proven science, but if you want to use them, Lowrie has anemic range at SS. Also, I never said, nor intimated, that Cabrera was a terrific SS. I said he is the best SS the Sox have had since Nomar. Furthermore, Lowrie's career OPS is under .700, and his career BA is a paltry .237. Granted he's been hurt this year, but Lowrie is not a MLB starting SS, and I'm not sure he ever will be. He can play there, but his future is elsewhere.

Sox SS since Nomar: Edgar Renteria, Alex Gonzalez, Alex Cora, Julio Lugo, Nick Green, and Jed Lowrie.

All things being equal, I'd take Cabrera > Gonzalez > Green/Lowrie.

Comparing a OF to a SS for OPS? How do those numbers take into account how many games DL Drew misses a year? How do those numbers account for the outrageous salary that Boris rammed down Theo's throat?

Lowrie is in no way a better defender (or player) than Orlando Cabrera. Absolutely no way dude. Maybe someday he'll be (I highly doubt it), but certainly not right now. Defensive stats are far from a proven science, but if you want to use them, Lowrie has anemic range at SS. Also, I never said, nor intimated, that Cabrera was a terrific SS. I said he is the best SS the Sox have had since Nomar. Furthermore, Lowrie's career OPS is under .700, and his career BA is a paltry .237. Granted he's been hurt this year, but Lowrie is not a MLB starting SS, and I'm not sure he ever will be. He can play there, but his future is elsewhere.

Sox SS since Nomar: Edgar Renteria, Alex Gonzalez, Alex Cora, Julio Lugo, Nick Green, and Jed Lowrie.

All things being equal, I'd take Cabrera > Gonzalez > Green/Lowrie.

I agree. I don't know about unsubstantiated rumors, but Cabrera came through big time in '04. Renteria & Lugo couldn't handle Fenway pressure, and the jury is still out on Lowrie and Green. I liked Cora a lot, but he wasn't an everyday answer. Gonzo? Good glove.

I agree. I don't know about unsubstantiated rumors, but Cabrera came through big time in '04. Renteria & Lugo couldn't handle Fenway pressure, and the jury is still out on Lowrie and Green. I liked Cora a lot, but he wasn't an everyday answer. Gonzo? Good glove.

Your point about handling Fenway is a good one, and it's what made Cabrera even more attractive around here. East coast cities like Philly, NY, & Boston are tough markets to play in. Cabrera handled it with ease, when other players haven't. To me, if I have a chance to aquire Cabrera or Gonzo, at mid season, I go for Cabrera hands down. The fact that they weren't at all interested, tells me that there was something behind the scenes at play.

Lowrie is in no way a better defender (or player) than Orlando Cabrera. Absolutely no way dude. Maybe someday he'll be (I highly doubt it), but certainly not right now. Defensive stats are far from a proven science, but if you want to use them, Lowrie has anemic range at SS.

Actually, Lowrie has very good range. He doesn't move all that fast, but his positioning and jumps are terrific. Gonzo in 2006 was better, but hes not that guy anymore.

Cabrera's range is bad at this point, and frankly, was never terrific.

Again, Cabrera was great in 2004, but hes not that player anymore. ANd in case you hadn't realized, Cabrera can't hit for **** anymore.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back