PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can We Win With An Entire New Coaching Staff?

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think that many folks want all the coaches, as if that is the road to success. I do agree that this would likely get us another top 10 draft choice.

Sure, hire an "offensive minded" HC and encourage BOB to take a college job. ???

Will any of the coaches stay? Mayo and Belichick will take with them any defensive coaches that they want. Perhaps someone will want to work for another new regime in Offense, presuming that the new regime wants them, or not.
==============================
Much as posters might want such chaos, I don't think that this what Kraft will choose. I suspect that he will hire a GM we all know and hire Mayo, offer Stevie the DC role. BOB could stay, or Josh could come back. A critical position will be QB coach; we might have 3 new QB's.

Kraft's attitude toward business is not what many posters would choose. Kraft wants stability. Kraft has promised a competitive team every year. Belichick failed big time this year, FOR THE FIRST TIME. Before this, the team could have been in the playoffs with a bit of luck. Kraft will continue to sell out the stadium, but thar does take a team that competes for the playoffs very year, NOT a team that competes for the SB for a year or two and then competes for the top pick in the draft for a couple of years.

I think the best case for hiring McDaniels as offensive coordinator is you know he ain’t getting hired to be head coach of another team. So at least our new, young quarterback will have stability on offense

In terms of BB. He cannot remain as GM, just can’t happen. Need someone who will be his own person, not just do whatever bill says. Not sure if bb will agree to that. And if he does, the next question is, do we really want bill anywhere near another young quarterback after this nonsensical bs he did to Mac? I love bill i just don’t know how it could work keeping him. Cant allow him to pick players anymore

People get old. They are more rigid in their ways. I think the patriots have to move on from him.

Typically when you hire a GM, you let him hire the coach, and the coach brings in a staff that has the same vision.

So keeping Belichick’s staff would be counterproductive. You can’t bring in a coach and not let him pick his assistants.

I think the best case for hiring McDaniels as offensive coordinator is you know he ain’t getting hired to be head coach of another team. So at least our new, young quarterback will have stability on offense

In terms of BB. He cannot remain as GM, just can’t happen. Need someone who will be his own person, not just do whatever bill says. Not sure if bb will agree to that. And if he does, the next question is, do we really want bill anywhere near another young quarterback after this nonsensical bs he did to Mac? I love bill i just don’t know how it could work keeping him. Cant allow him to pick players anymore

People get old. They are more rigid in their ways. I think the patriots have to move on from him.
Agree on the BB stuff. Not on the McD stuff. It's time for a clean break from the BB era.

No. But we need improvement at ST, receivers, and OL coaching.

New coaches bring new schemes and terminology.

Its doubtful that you will win many games, if any after a complete reboot of a franchise. Furthermore, current players that remained from the previous regime may not like or adapt to the new way of business.

If you get a new HC he will require his own slate of assistants.

I’m afraid that a clean sweep replacing GM and all the coaches, plus the FO changes a new GM will make, is a path to years of mediocrity. Best case I can see is it yields a competitive team in three to five years. and that‘s just competitive, not dominant.

Best path forward to me would be to restructure the FO, keeping Bill as HC but eliminating the GM title. Replace the GM with a Director of Football Operations reporting to Jonathan to handle things like travel and gameday logistics. Run player personnel as a three member committee chaired by Jonathan, with Bill responsible for player standards (role definitions, requirements, performance) and Groh or Wolf responsible for player relationships (scouting, contracts). Plus Robert ex officio. Bill might not like it but given the choice of accepting it or being fired I think he’d accept. It would lighten his load and let him focus on what he likes and does best: building a winning team.

Teams get new front offices and new coaching staffs all the time and the team becomes successful. It isn't like if the Patriots let Belichick go, no other coach could ever bring the Patriots to the Super Bowl ever again.

Some teams just cycle through GMs and head coaches over and over again, but most of those teams have bad owners who either just don't give a crap and basically own the team because owning an NFL team is like printing money or just a moron owner who picks the wrong people or is meddlesome. I don't see Robert and Jonathan like either of those types of owners.

Last edited:
New coaches bring new schemes and terminology.

Its doubtful that you will win many games, if any after a complete reboot of a franchise. Furthermore, current players that remained from the previous regime may not like or adapt to the new way of business.

Opposed to the current scheme and terminology? The Pats are 3-11.

The Pats also have a ton of money for the new GM and head coach to bring in players who can play in their scheme and may already know their terminology.

If you’re gonna handcuff a coach and not let him pick any of his assistants you’re probably not gonna get a good coach to take the job.

Opposed to the current scheme and terminology? The Pats are 3-11.

The Pats also have a ton of money for the new GM and head coach to bring in players who can play in their scheme and may already know their terminology.
3 - 11

Because the Pats have no QB capable of competing in the NFL.

3 - 11

Because the Pats have no QB capable of competing in the NFL.
So fix that by purging the FO and coaching staffs.

makes total sense.

Given the lateral moves frequently suggested at OC, HC, and GM over the last year, I’m just going to start mentally preparing for people to suggest stealing other teams’ position coaches despite them most likely being under contract. There’s going to be a lot of disappointment if the Patriots put together a staff full of guys that were just fired, but that’s often how it works.

I have admitted being a BB ball washer. I still want him to remain. However, I just want this season to end so this discussion can end. I don't want to hear anymore. Just end it.

I have admitted being a BB ball washer. I still want him to remain. However, I just want this season to end so this discussion can end. I don't want to hear anymore. Just end it.
Oh, it'll continue if they keep him here. It'll be louder than ever.

Oh, it'll continue if they keep him here. It'll be louder than ever.
True, but at least this discussion of retention will end, and the team can get on with football decisions. Granted, if the team started slowly again, the hue and cry will resume.

I think that many folks want all the coaches, as if that is the road to success. I do agree that this would likely get us another top 10 draft choice.

Sure, hire an "offensive minded" HC and encourage BOB to take a college job. ???

Will any of the coaches stay? Mayo and Belichick will take with them any defensive coaches that they want. Perhaps someone will want to work for another new regime in Offense, presuming that the new regime wants them, or not.
==============================
Much as posters might want such chaos, I don't think that this what Kraft will choose. I suspect that he will hire a GM we all know and hire Mayo, offer Stevie the DC role. BOB could stay, or Josh could come back. A critical position will be QB coach; we might have 3 new QB's.

Kraft's attitude toward business is not what many posters would choose. Kraft wants stability. Kraft has promised a competitive team every year. Belichick failed big time this year, FOR THE FIRST TIME. Before this, the team could have been in the playoffs with a bit of luck. Kraft will continue to sell out the stadium, but thar does take a team that competes for the playoffs very year, NOT a team that competes for the SB for a year or two and then competes for the top pick in the draft for a couple of years.
You can “win” with an entirely new staff. Many times a team gets a bump in the first year of a new HC, and they almost always bring in an entire new staff, but in most cases it’s a temporary bump up to 9-10 wins and then they drop back off.
The real question is how many coaches can you name that give you a better chance of winning than bill belichick.
Ultimately you realize the fire belichick crowd are people who are not thinking about the best course for the franchise but people who want someone to be punished for the down period that happens to every franchise. Making the coaching staff worse for those playing victim doesn’t make the franchise better.

We know one answer - the Patriots CANNOT win with the current dunderheads occupying the sunny sideline at Gillette Stadium

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back