PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the Line hold up?

So at the tackle position, are we screwed or what?

So at the tackle position, are we screwed or what?

Oh yeah.

Blob Brown & Onemenu are getting Worse by the week. Don't know if it's injuries, being mal-coached, business decisions, whatever... Don't care either. McDermott just plain sucks; no reason/excuse need be given there.
The 3 stiffs inside aren't anything to write home about themselves... Siddy the Sow I'll give a pass; but Strange69 & Andrews aren't seeing a pro bowl game - Ever - unless they're watching it on tv.

Oh yeah.

Blob Brown & Onemenu are getting Worse by the week. Don't know if it's injuries, being mal-coached, business decisions, whatever... Don't care either.
The other 3 stiffs aren't anything to write home about themselves. Siddy the Sow I'll give a pass; but Strange69 & Andrews aren't seeing a pro bowl game - Ever - unless they're watching it on tv.
So, the test of the quality a position is whether the player is or will be an all-pro. OK. I agree that Strange and Andrews (and their backups) will never be all-pros.
====================
The interior OL can be good enough with another year of playing together under adequate coaching.
==============
We have only an adequate #4 OT signed for 2024. Even if we pay $20M AAV, there is little available in free agency. Trades of a top LT just won't happen. In any case, the cost in draft choices and new contract would be large. Besides, we need THREE: 2 starters and a swing OT.

Our best case scenario is to draft two OT's AND to extend both Brown and Onwenu. We can pass on Brown if we choose a LT instead of a QB in the top of first, still drafting another OT in the 3rd (or 2nd or 4th). [Of course, Andereson might be one of the four]

Last edited:
We won many super bowls with zero All Pros on the line. Not saying we don’t need to upgrade the Tackle positions though. I don’t know where Brown’s head is at but right now I lean towards not keeping him if we double dip at OT in the draft

The approach at tackle this offseason was straight up negligence.
I like the subtle shade My Crease had in his article:

March 15, 2023: In need of bolstering their offensive line, the Patriots make 13-year veteran Riley Reiff (one year, $5 million) and fifth-year veteran Calvin Anderson (two years, $7 million) their top free agent signings. In part due to injuries and illness, they've appeared in a total of six games with two combined starts this season.

I like the subtle shade My Crease had in his article:

March 15, 2023: In need of bolstering their offensive line, the Patriots make 13-year veteran Riley Reiff (one year, $5 million) and fifth-year veteran Calvin Anderson (two years, $7 million) their top free agent signings. In part due to injuries and illness, they've appeared in a total of six games with two combined starts this season.
The Calvin Anderson situation has been weird. Had an illness for most of the summer. Came back and started a couple games earlier in the year and looked horrendous and is now back on IR with an illness. Between him, Reiff, Lowe, and that ridiculous trade for Wheatley I don't know how anyone thought there was a solution at tackle.

The Calvin Anderson situation has been weird. Had an illness for most of the summer. Came back and started a couple games earlier in the year and looked horrendous and is now back on IR with an illness. Between him, Reiff, Lowe, and that ridiculous trade for Wheatley I don't know how anyone thought there was a solution at tackle.
a healthy Brown, Onwnenu, with McDermott as the swing OT

With three rookies playing against the Chiefs, BB admitted in his snarky postgame conference that they couldn’t do much.

BTW, I was hoping not to hear Turnstile McDermott’s name. That would show he was doing his job. But his penalty nullified a TD.

Oh C'mon where have you been don't you know we still have Dante Scar who can make chicken salad out of chicken crap. :rolleyes: That said those are the exact reasons Why I want BB gone.

With three rookies playing against the Chiefs, BB admitted in his snarky postgame conference that they couldn’t do much.

BTW, I was hoping not to hear Turnstile McDermott’s name. That would show he was doing his job. But his penalty nullified a TD.

Three?

I don't think it "nullified" it. His blatant hold was the reason Zap had time to throw it. If the penalty was away from the play, I'd agree.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back