PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the Line hold up?

Real fan 02

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
As camp has gone on, IMO and I'm sure in the minds of others. The offensive line is the most glaring concern on the team. The performance of the line is so vital to the offense being able to do what it needs to be able to move the ball and score.

Here are the D lines they will face this season. Will they be able to protect Mac enough? Can they allow Mac time to complete passes.. will they create holes for Rham? We will see come week one.

Please take a look at the some fronts we'll face this season. Feel free to discuss! Thanks!

Eagles: Reddick, Cox
Dolphins: Ogbah, Wilkins ( twice)
Jets: Williams, Lawson ( twice)
Bills: Miller, Addison (twice)
Cowboys: Lawrence, Parsons
Saints: Cam Jordan, Sheppard
Raiders: Jones, Crosby
Commanders: ( best defensive line we'll see) sweat, Allen, young

Colts: Stuart, Buckner
Giants: Robinson, Williams
Chargers: Bosa, Joseph-Day
Steelers: Cam Heyward, Watt
Chiefs: Chris Jones
Broncos: Allen, Browning

The better they can run the ball the better the OL will hold up. If they are running the ball the OL is dishing out the punishment, and if they are in obvious passing situations and 3rd and long all the time then they will struggle much more than they should.

The OL is bar none the biggest weakness on the roster and I think will be the downfall of the team this season. Even if fully healthy it is questionable at best. Just to pick the most obvious example: relying on Trent Brown to stay healthy and motivated. Yikes.

The better they can run the ball the better the OL will hold up. If they are running the ball the OL is dishing out the punishment, and if they are in obvious passing situations and 3rd and long all the time then they will struggle much more than they should.
I agree, a guy like rham is talented enough to make something out of nothing. But the line is going to need to create hole for him. They were a pretty good run blocking line last season.. however going against those fronts.. the commanders is probably the best D line we'll see those boys are no joke up front.

The OL is bar none the biggest weakness on the roster and I think will be the downfall of the team this season. Even if fully healthy it is questionable at best. Just to pick the most obvious example: relying on Trent Brown to stay healthy and motivated. Yikes.
I still hate that we didn’t take an OT high up in the draft. A bad OL is enough to sink a team and probably more important than any positional group aside from QB.

It is also a big potential strength. Brown is capable of being a stud. Onwenu is a good G. Strange making a year 2 jump could be one of the top Gs in the NFL
Andrews is an underrated C. RT needs to work out but worst case is McDermott who played decently at the end of last year and certainly wasn’t a liability.

Historically the Patriots OLs are greater than the sum of the parts because the system is good at hiding and accounting for weaknesses and leveraging strengths of the OL. With BOB here I would expect a huge improvement in than dynamic.

It is also a big potential strength. Brown is capable of being a stud. Onwenu is a good G. Strange making a year 2 jump could be one of the top Gs in the NFL
Andrews is an underrated C. RT needs to work out but worst case is McDermott who played decently at the end of last year and certainly wasn’t a liability.

Historically the Patriots OLs are greater than the sum of the parts because the system is good at hiding and accounting for weaknesses and leveraging strengths of the OL. With BOB here I would expect a huge improvement in than dynamic.
I'm a homer, but I'm really hoping Klemm is the heir to Scar and gets the most out of these pieces. If they can give Mac enough time, I think we're going to be so far ahead of where we finished last season.

It’s too early to tell, and I don’t see it as a glaring concern…yet.

Let’s see who emerges in camp, who is healthy.

Comments:

1.) If Trent Brown holds up for all 17 games...the line should be very solid, IMO.

2.) We do have options behind Onwenu/Strange and even Andrews should one of them go down.

3.) We can kick Onwenu out to tackle if needed.

4.) That being said, I'd like to see Anderson off the NFL like @PatsFan2 says.

5.) McDermott's play down the stretch last year and the fact that Sow is being looked at as a tackle gives me some hope.

6.) Our passing offense doesn't rely on deep vertical routes. So, if Mac can get rid of the ball quick...we should be okay. I know Mac hates the "quick stuff", but I'd like to see some Montgomery/Stevenson/Strong check down catches in pre-season.....we do have good blocking WR sizes in JuJu and Parker though...

7.) I'd like to see how Sokol or Frisker block....we might be needing them to help out on the right side.

Bottom line....if Trent Brown misses time...we are gonna be shuffling guys at tackle all year...we might even have to move Onwenu outside for good if that happens. Not an expert, but IMO...Onwenu is better utilized as a guard.

Comments:

1.) If Trent Brown holds up for all 17 games...the line should be very solid, IMO.

2.) We do have options behind Onwenu/Strange and even Andrews should one of them go down.

3.) We can kick Onwenu out to tackle if needed.

4.) That being said, I'd like to see Anderson off the NFL like @PatsFan2 says.

5.) McDermott's play down the stretch last year and the fact that Sow is being looked at as a tackle gives me some hope.

6.) Our passing offense doesn't rely on deep vertical routes. So, if Mac can get rid of the ball quick...we should be okay. I know Mac hates the "quick stuff", but I'd like to see some Montgomery/Stevenson/Strong check down catches in pre-season.....we do have good blocking WR sizes in JuJu and Parker though...

7.) I'd like to see how Sokol or Frisker block....we might be needing them to help out on the right side.

Bottom line....if Trent Brown misses time...we are gonna be shuffling guys at tackle all year...we might even have to move Onwenu outside for good if that happens. Not an expert, but IMO...Onwenu is better utilized as a guard.
Good stuff, our offense is a lot of timing routes, it's predicated off the ball being where it's supposed to be at a certain time. Need the line to protect to do so. I'm not down on the line or think they can't it's just a major concern because of of availability of guys. However it foes klemm and BOB I'm sure will have whoever is out there ready. They are tested right out the gate!

I still hate that we didn’t take an OT high up in the draft. A bad OL is enough to sink a team and probably more important than any positional group aside from QB.

The top of that Tackle class wasn’t worth the pick, and they were gone. They got a great CB prospect out of the first round. I loved their draft.

The top of that Tackle class wasn’t worth the pick, and they were gone. They got a great CB prospect out of the first round. I loved their draft.
I'm at the point of where we have who we have. The best 5 guys will be out there. I know that BOB isn't going to stand for sub Parr play from the line. So if tea pot needs to get on Trents ass now and then good! This is an important season for alot of reasons.

I'm at the point of where we have who we have. The best 5 guys will be out there. I know that BOB isn't going to stand for sub Parr play from the line. So if tea pot needs to get on Trents ass now and then good! This is an important season for alot of reasons.
BoB probably won't keep dropping Mac back 5-7 steps every passing down if the protection is ****. There are certainly ways to get the ball out quick if there are major problems. I agree though, with good health the line is pretty good outside of RT.

BoB probably won't keep dropping Mac back 5-7 steps every passing down if the protection is ****. There are certainly ways to get the ball out quick if there are major problems. I agree though, with good health the line is pretty good outside of RT.
Mac's strengths are getting the ball out quick and accuracy. So your right we don't have chase and Higgins on the outside so he won't need to make those deep drops. The play is already decided at the line.. Unless Mac checks out the play.. having a guy like rham takes so much pressure off Mac. We have an offense that can frustrate an attacking defense.. we rely on short, intermediate throws and the run game. That will test a defenses discipline like eagles who want to rush upfield. That will force them to play honest and gives us an advantage so to speak.

Yes, we are a really solid line if Brown plays 12 games.

If not, I just don't see the shuffle. We have Reiff, Anderson and McDermott (also Steuber and Sow). Yes, we are more serious trouble if TWO of our top OTs can't play, but that is the case for almost any position. Try considering playing without top 2 WR;s or our top 2 RB's.

Last edited:
Who’s our LT?

There are two many questions with this line.

Brown was awful last season and jumping pre snap on almost every play. The refs did the Pats a solid letting most of it go.

David Andrews is on the back 9. He gets pushed back in the pocket way too much.

Strange has to play better to earn the draft position he was reached for in 2022.

Who plays RT?

They will be tested very early this season.

We're not going to have these questions even starting to be answered until after the 2nd preseason game.

We don't even know who the starting 5 are going to be, or where they are.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back