PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the Line hold up?

The line would have held up much better if the GM had signed/drafted an NFL quality RT and backup. If we were top extend Brown and Onwenu, the same is true of 2024.

Do we really have an awful OL. Performance has certainly says that is the case.

Is talent the #1 issue? Personally, i think that talent is the 3rd issue. Not acquiring a RT is certainly #1, and injuries is #2.

2024 (with extensions of Brown and Onwenu)
LT Brown, Anderson
OG Strange, Onwenu, Sow, Mafi
C Andrews, Andrews
RT ???

As was the case in 2023, we will need a RT and a backup RT. A veteran swing tackle would be even better than a backup RT.

Last edited:
no doubt, but the OL free agency group appears slim. the hope would have to be to see if they can get a stud in the draft, and find some vet help that can be coached up into a solid player for the scheme the Pats decide to use in 2024.
honestly, I do not feel Onwenu is back.
would Strange, Sow and Mafi be enough on the interior, with J Andrews and Russey behind them? Pats would then have to hit on the draft for a franchise type stud at T.
for me, it is troubling that Mafi and Sow do not appear to be getting better. still half a season for it to play out.

Sow does not appear to be getting better after two games into his rookie year?

Choosing whom to start on the OLine reminds me of Burdian's Ass:

Wiki: Buridan's ass is an illustration of a paradox in philosophy in the conception of free will. It refers to a hypothetical situation wherein an ass (donkey) that is equally hungry and thirsty is placed precisely midway between a stack of hay and a pail of water. Since the paradox assumes the donkey will always go to whichever is closer, it dies of both hunger and thirst since it cannot make any rational decision between the hay and water.[1] A common variant of the paradox substitutes the hay and water for two identical piles of hay; the ass, unable to choose between the two, dies of hunger.

Or maybe of Hobson's Choice:

Wiki - A Hobson's choice is a free choice in which only one thing is actually offered. The term is often used to describe an illusion that multiple choices are available. The best known Hobson's choice is "I'll give you a choice: take it or leave it", wherein "leaving it" is strongly undesirable.

The phrase is said to have originated with Thomas Hobson (1544–1631), a livery stable owner in Cambridge, England, who offered customers the choice of either taking the horse in his stall nearest to the door or taking none at all.

BO'B is supposed to be an offensive genius. Are there formations which don't require ANY O-linemen?

Anderson has yet to show he can play anything in 2024.

Brown is the only choice at LT, play McDermott at RT and pray the entire OL plays better than have yet this year.
Anderson played the first two games, and is our backup LT.

Back when I was a smoker, every so often I'd run out of cigarettes late at night. My apartment being a typical bachelor pad, I'd rummage through all the Marlboro packs strewn around the place in search of an abandoned pack with another smoke or two. I never found one.

This conversation reminds me of those times.

I think this is a tank season. Just play the most healthy and promising rookies on OL . Don't keep changing positions. Let's hope they become respectable by next year .

Draft decent OL next year if possible else continue with the same folks and trust your coaching and conditioning to make them above average . Continuity and coaching builds better offense linemen.

Incentivize their contracts with big bonuses based on performance.

I hope we draft Marvin Harrison junior and try to get the bad habits out of mac. That's the quickest and easiest path to relevance . I don't think we can find the QB of future in next year's draft .

I am shorting on Caleb Williams . Feel he might have the career of Kyler Murray. I hope we can draft and build the team with promising rooks and it means you start benching juju, Parker , t brown and others from now.

Last edited:
Can the line hold up?

John Candy No GIF by Laff

THAT SAID, I would rather see the young guys out there. I do think 1 or 2 of them will turn into decent players, lets find out.

Analytics isn’t data, no matter how you wish it was.

Analytics is confirmation bias statistics by bookworms who don’t understand the sport they’re watching, no matter how much they may enjoy it.

Go to pro football reference, they have all the basic stats you need.

We’re not launching a space shuttle here, they’re moving an inflated pig’s bladder down a field.
I like how you think effectively saying "all you need are box stats" is some compelling argument.

Though I guess pretending this o-line is good can be the equivalent of launching a space shuttle aka a modern miracle of human perserverence

Anderson has yet to show he can play anything in 2024.

Brown is the only choice at LT, play McDermott at RT and pray the entire OL plays better than have yet this year.
But will McDermott even be activated for this game? I think he’s not.

So WTF is going on with RT? Move Brown over there. It’s his natural position. Let Lowe and Anderson compete for LT.

I like how you think effectively saying "all you need are box stats" is some compelling argument.

Though I guess pretending this o-line is good can be the equivalent of launching a space shuttle aka a modern miracle of human perserverence
Box stats measure production, tangible visible production.

Analytics measure how long some bookworm stared at something until he came to the preexisting bias he began watching video with.

That you believe actual production is less relevant than some junk science… sounds like a “you” problem.

The line would have held up much better if the GM had signed/drafted an NFL quality RT and backup. If we were top extend Brown and Onwenu, the same is true of 2024.

Do we really have an awful OL. Performance has certainly says that is the case.

Is talent the #1 issue? Personally, i think that talent is the 3rd issue. Not acquiring a RT is certainly #1, and injuries is #2.

LT Brown, Anderson
C Andrews, Andrews
RT ???

As was the case in 2023, we will need a RT and a backup RT. A veteran swing tackle would be even better than a backup RT.
Who?

Broderick Jones, the guy they could have taken with the first instead of Gonzalez, he just made his first start last week to mixed results.

Sidy Sow could develop into as good at RT as any of the guys they could have drafted. Paris Johnson has been the only plug and play OT and he was out of reach.

The line has looked substantially worse because our QB is the worst starting QB in the NFL.

This season is over… they’ll return most of the line starters next season. If they have a good QB they’ll be fine, they’d be fine right now if they had a good QB.

Anderson played the first two games, and is our backup LT.
Anderson couldn’t even make it to the active list yesterday. He’s washed up, at least until he gets over being sick (if that ever happens).

Lowe was our backup LT.

Who?

Broderick Jones, the guy they could have taken with the first instead of Gonzalez, he just made his first start last week to mixed results.

Sidy Sow could develop into as good at RT as any of the guys they could have drafted. Paris Johnson has been the only plug and play OT and he was out of reach.

The line has looked substantially worse because our QB is the worst starting QB in the NFL.

This season is over… they’ll return most of the line starters next season. If they have a good QB they’ll be fine, they’d be fine right now if they had a good QB.
How'd Mac play yesterday?

How'd Mac play yesterday?
Better than the last three weeks...

0Z1G2H2.png

He still dodged a couple of potential bullets in an interception that was dropped by the linebacker and a fumble that our lineman recovered that could have lost the game. There were fewer penalties by the offense and the entire operation was cleaner, I wonder if Mac worked on his cadence to make it smoother.

In short, he was "good" Mac instead of terrible Mac... we've seen it before and watched him regress down the road. All any Patriot fan truly wanted was for him to develop and advance more, level up to become a top tier QB. You pretending he hasn't sucked the last three weeks wasn't going to get him to change. We'll see if he can sustain it, his career depends on it.

LT Brown, Anderson
C Andrews, Andrews
RT ???

LT - Draft Pick, Anderson, Wheatley
LG - Strange69, the Sow
C - Andrews x 2, Russey
RG - Onemenu, Mafia
RT - Brown, VD Low, McDermott, draft pick?

There's a difference between Left Guard and Right Guard, just as surely as there's a difference between Left Tackle and Right Tackle.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back