PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the Line hold up?

When we played the Cowboys on Oct 1, we ran for a total of 53 yards for a 2.3 average per carry.

When the Bills played the same Cowboys on Dec 17 they ran for 266 yards for a 5.4 yards per carry. And that includes the three kneel downs.

Are their players that much better? Well, maybe at LT and center with Dion Dawkins and Mitch Morse.

The key difference, however, is their excellent OL coach, Aaron Kromer.

Brian Baldinger calls him “a masterful teacher.” Kind of like Dante, no?

When we played the Cowboys on Oct 1, we ran for a total of 53 yards for a 2.3 average per carry.

When the Bills played the same Cowboys on Dec 17 they ran for 266 yards for a 5.4 yards per carry. And that includes the three kneel downs.

Are their players that much better? Well, maybe at LT and center with Dion Dawkins and Mitch Morse.

Yep, it's beyond obvious now that Klemm was the wrong hire, though I didn't mind it at the time... But among him, Blob Brown, the Mysterious Mister Anderson (plus Jackoff Jones, JC Jackoff et al), Bill's managing an IR list less than he is running an insane asylum that would make the ol' looney bin in Mattapan proud.

How in the world did you look at the Brown-Mafi-Andrews-Onwenu-Lowe line and conclude that Brown and Andrews are the two guys that the Bills maybe have better players than?

To answer the thread’s title, Can the Line Holdup?””, No.

Not with Lowe at LT—What happened to Mr Anderson ?—and Ferentz at LG.

Evan Kazar admits in his post Broncos piece on Patriots.com that Ferentz is not an nfl lineman. Anyone disagree with this?

I don’t.

The Patriots OL was blowing people off the line as it reeled off 4 good weeks of running the ball right before Zappe took over. 107 5.6ypc, 167, 147, 148, all over 4.5 ypc. This total includes 60+ yards lost due to sacks.

As soon as Zappe took over, we've had 3 weeks of teams loading the box, often 8 men in there, they are run blitzing, pass blitzing, sending 7 against our 5 OL frequently.

We're not running any more because teams know it's one of the best things the offensive line does.

But by keeping only one safety back deep, teams are giving up intermediate passes against Zappe. As long as he can get the ball over the linebackers, we're having great success. Teams are playing 4 DBs against the Patriots.

This is why Zappe is seeing some relative success throwing the ball.

Just wait until teams adjust by dropping back more. Zappe will struggle. However, I will say that the Broncos did adjust their D in the second half, and they had fewer men in the box. Zappe moved around the pocket enough to keep plays alive

To answer the thread’s title, Can the Line Holdup?””, No.

Not with Lowe at LT—What happened to Mr Anderson ?—and Ferentz at LG.

Evan Kazar admits in his post Broncos piece on Patriots.com that Ferentz is not an nfl lineman. Anyone disagree with this?

I don’t.

It's a national ****ing embarrassment.

The very first play of the game from scrimmage, and who gives up the strip sack? ****ing Thanksdad, who makes Ryan Wendell look like Thuney. To quote former president Carter: Thanksdad is a disgrace to the human race.

Did he take even one more snap at LG afterwards? I don't believe so; even ****ing Billy knew that, if he actually wanted to win this ****ing game - which he should NOT have anyway - then he had to get Thanksdad's ****ing weak, incompetent ass the **** outta there.

We need MULTIPLE new OLmen for next season, especially at Both Tackles if Onwenu isn't re-signed... And a New GM. No more of Blob Brown, Reilly Reiffer, The Mysterious Mister Anderson, Conor McDoormat... And Especially NO MORE THANKSDAD!

Last edited:
The Patriots OL was blowing people off the line as it reeled off 4 good weeks of running the ball right before Zappe took over. 107 5.6ypc, 167, 147, 148, all over 4.5 ypc. This total includes 60+ yards lost due to sacks.

As soon as Zappe took over, we've had 3 weeks of teams loading the box, often 8 men in there, they are run blitzing, pass blitzing, sending 7 against our 5 OL frequently.

We're not running any more because teams know it's one of the best things the offensive line does.

But by keeping only one safety back deep, teams are giving up intermediate passes against Zappe. As long as he can get the ball over the linebackers, we're having great success. Teams are playing 4 DBs against the Patriots.

This is why Zappe is seeing some relative success throwing the ball.

Just wait until teams adjust by dropping back more. Zappe will struggle. However, I will say that the Broncos did adjust their D in the second half, and they had fewer men in the box. Zappe moved around the pocket enough to keep plays alive
I agree with this. I think that there's not a ton of tape on Zappe out there which is leading to some success (and the teams they've played with him as a starter have been middle of the pack to not very good). Once teams adjust (and the Bills and Jets should) he's not going to have as much success.

The very first play of the game from scrimmage, and who gives up the strip sack? ****ing Thanksdad, who makes Ryan Wendell look like Thuney... To quote former president Carter: Thanksdad is a disgrace to the human race.

Did he take even one more snap at LG afterwards? I don't believe so; even ****ing Billy knew that, if he actually wanted to win this ****ing game - which he should NOT have anyway - then he had to get Thanksdad's ****ing weak, incompetent ass the **** outta there.

UPDATE: Thanksdad did play LG during the series after the strip/sack... The following series, their third, is when Mafi replaced him.

I laughed. Then I cried. The truth hurts. Classic.
ThanksDad is a classic, but I actually laughed out loud at work over Conor McDoormat. Captain and I generally don't see eye to eye on a lot of things but that IS funny. Credit where it is due.

In case it isn't blindingly clear already, Trent Brown isn't coming back next year. I guess I can go into why but I'm not going to waste my time.

We can't rely on a rookie to helm that LT position, so there will need to a vet. Maybe's Dallas's Smith will come available.

In case it isn't blindingly clear already, Trent Brown isn't coming back next year. I guess I can go into why but I'm not going to waste my time.
I can. I am bumptious that way.

He is lazy, making him prone to injuries. He reported to camp out of shape.

Billy Notgoat—Captain’s apt moniker—has continually given him special exemptions. Not held him to the same standard as everyone else.

Now we’ve progressed to the sad state of affairs that Trent Brown has all but quit on the team.

There. Got that off my chest.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back