PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can someone answer a Chad Jackson question for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any proof that Jackson has "trouble running routes"? Or any basis for the "he can't learn the playbook" BS?

These two notions really baffles me. OK, he struggled in his first year, well, there can be plenty of factors contributing to that, injuries are one of them.

Most pre-draft profiles of Jackson say he was a crisp route-runner. In fact, the notion that he is nothing more than a deep threat is way off. This is a guy who caught about 88 passes for 900 yards his senior year. He was a deep threat his sophomore year.

Heck, his prospect profiles says:

"Overall, Chad is not a game-changing speed receiver, but he has all the tools and competitiveness to become a very good starting receiver in a season or two and will consistently get open, make all the catches, and make plays running after the catch."

Likewise...

"Jackson is an extremely efficient receiver, who runs very sharp routes -- he consistently gets out of his cuts quickly and gets separation. He sells his fakes well, and he can turn defensive backs around."

He can definitely be a burner, but the aim is much more than that. The reason people want to take advantage of his speed now is because that is something that can develop faster than becoming a great all-around receiver in the Pats system.

Again, where is the proof for the notion he's a poor route runner or lacks wide receiver smarts? Because Tom Casale thinks so? Because he had a rough first year? I'm not seeing it.

I'll quickly answer that question...there is no proof, because this line of think is false.

Jackson was a good route runner in college, and was an all around solid receiver. Jackson was the captain of his HS football team (Hoover high), and was voted the team MVP. Hoover High coach Jeff Probst (who I don't like) claims Jackson is one of the best players he has ever seen, a team player, fast learner, and very coachable.

Chad was considered "The best Alabama HS prospect since Ozzie Newsome" which is not something that get's thrown around to often in those parts. Jackson's not being able to learn the system, or having attitude problems rings BS to me. Honestly, BB babied him to much last year, because he thinks so much of him.

I don't really understand why people are fighting about something we have no information on. However, since people are going back and forth regarding the ACL possibility, here's a link for those who aren't familiar with how it's taken care of:

http://www.arthroscopy.com/sp05018.htm

Now, regarding the surgical timeline and its importance, focus on the early portion of this next link:

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/aclrepain/a/acl_3.htm

I know that won't resolve everything, but I hope it helps some of you with questions.

This "bust" talk is shear foolishness on the part of posters saying such. You can't be a bust in a season. It was previously mentioned, but you can't stick a "bust" tag on a player until they have been in the league for a few seasons. Additionally, Chad Jackson battled injuries, it isn't really even a question about his football abilities, those who have seen him play previous to the Patriots know what he is capable of doing. He CATCHES the football extremely well, and can run after the catch. Chad Jackson may not see a field in 2007, maybe he'll play in 10-12 games and catch 50-60 balls, we won't know until training camp approaches. One thing I can say for certain is that he'll have the playbook memorized front to back.

One thing I can say for certain is that he'll have the playbook memorized front to back.

Most likely not.
He said that his 'focus' on his hamstring injury rehab (minor in comparison) last season prevented him from learning the playbook.

What a wasted draft pick.

Actually we invested two picks in him (a 2nd and a 3rd).

I just hope his reduced involvement over the season and the emergency signing of Gaffney does not mean he is a bust. He certainly should have been able to break into last years line up.

WR is often a tough position to succeed rookie year, couple that w/ him missing basically all of training camp with his nagging injury, which nagged him into the season, and he missed more practice time, there aren't too many WRs in the league who could have overcome all of that.

Even when he did play, while the #s weren't there, he got himself open on deep balls a few times, let him play a year healthy before we write the off. Give him and Belichick a break on this one.

I was under the impression that he tore his acl and is "most likely" out indefinetly, at least till late fall. People on this board keep talking like he will be ready to play this upcoming season and I don't think this is realistic. He is a bust!! Our biggest in a while.. thanks

I had ACL reconstructive surgery and tested out 100%, at 9 months post-op. Now I didn't play in the NFL, but played in a football and basketball league after 9 months. So, carry the one, divide by, square root.............I would say the best case for Jackson is he's PUP'd for the first four weeks, but could be out for the year. As a professional athlete, and being so young, he could surprise us though. We'll just have to wait and see.

I had ACL reconstructive surgery and tested out 100%, at 9 months post-op. Now I didn't play in the NFL, but played in a football and basketball league after 9 months. So, carry the one, divide by, square root.............I would say the best case for Jackson is he's PUP'd for the first four weeks, but could be out for the year. As a professional athlete, and being so young, he could surprise us though. We'll just have to wait and see.

Does anyone know if the timetable for a partial tear is any different?

I've roamed some sites and haven't found a real answer.

What type of physical condition were you in? Jackson is a physical freak of nature, for lack of a better term. If you were healthy 9 months later why would it take Jackson longer? From the time of his surgery to September will be nine months. I could see him either being ready for part of training camp, part of the preseason, or going on the PUP list, but I don't think he'll miss the full season. How long did they wait to perform reconstructive? They only waited 4 days before Jackson's repair. Usually you wait no less than 2 weeks before attempting repair on a fully torn ACL, and sometimes one month, so I don't think his injury was that bad. This also gives him about 2-3 weeks extra recovery time.

Last edited:
What type of physical condition were you in? Jackson is a physical freak of nature, for lack of a better term. If you were healthy 9 months later why would it take Jackson longer?

Yah, a fragile freak of nature who took month after month to recover from a hammy. Gawd, he made the Terry Glen "she" look like Rodney Harrison.

Last edited:
I don't think any of us know the real story of what's been the story with jackson.

we can guess all we want.

fact is, he's a top prospect worth working with and seeing if he will come along. He has a tremendous upside, if he can eventually get there.

I don't think any of us know the real story of what's been the story with jackson.

we can guess all we want.

fact is, he's a top prospect worth working with and seeing if he will come along. He has a tremendous upside, if he can eventually get there.

Nuff said. The kid's only had one year and he was injured most of it. He was unreal at Florida. He needs a little time.

Yah, a fragile freak of nature who took month after month to recover from a hammy. Gawd, he made the Terry Glen "she" look like Rodney Harrison.

How long did it take you to recover from your hammy injury after you pulled it changing positions on the couch while watching the Patriots play?

How long did it take you to recover from your hammy injury after you pulled it changing positions on the couch while watching the Patriots play?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

wdkantro2
I think there is a reason we are signing these new WRs to (technically) 1 year deals; the Pats are hoping that they can buy some more time for the guy who they think will be the #1 of the future. Not saying it is true, but if they were sure his career is over, wouldn't they make more of an effort to get these other guys long term?

And IMHO; I think all the tea-leaf reading going on here about trying to extrapolate some prognosis for chad jackson based on other player's contracts is all B-S.

BB makes decisions on can we upgrade at the position right now. With all the FA WRs he has a whole bunch of guys who have talent but all had problems at previous teams for one reason or another. BB obviously doesn't know which of these guys is going to make the roster or still be on the team (not physically on IR or cut) at mid-season. So he is hedging his bets and giving a whole bunch of talented guys one year to fight it out.

My bet is that whoever survives pass camp and training camp and first month of season will have played himself into a long-term contract by October or latest November. If they like what they see they will lock him up for longer. I hope that is Stallworth; but it could very well be one of the other guys too.

Likewise trying to extrapolate CJ's medical status based on all the other players signed or not signed is reading tea-leaves as well. If you asked BB he might say; 'CJ is on IR right now and I don't discuss players on IR'. Until he comes off and can be evaluated by coaches; BB will draft / sign FAs as if he isn't even on the team. When he comes back; he can compete. If he earns a spot back; he'll make that decision at that time.

Now that I said all that; my personal tea-leaves tell me he'll start season on PUP. 6 weeks in once we see if we got anybody else headed to IR; they'll make a call about IRing CJ for rest of year or filling in the hole with him.

Yea, and the first sign of signifigant injury during his entire football career. He was extremely durable in college....

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the timetable for a partial tear is any different?

It's the same. There is no way to repair a torn ACL -- partial or otherwise. The surgery involves harvesting part of the patella tendon (with bone attached at both ends) and replacing the ACL with this tendon, by inserting the pieces of bone into holes drilled in the knee bones. The first step of the recovery is for the bone grafts to heal.

The timetables are pretty well established. Six to eight months to begin cutting and rapid stop/start running. That would put Jackson back on the field for cutting exercises/route running sometime between Aug 1st and October 1st. Add at least a month to even think about being in NFL game shape with confidence in his knee. So, from a purely physical standpoint, the earliest Jackson could see game action would be sometime between Sept 1 and Nov 1st.

Those would be the time frames for a veteran player who knows the playbook and has played in the system -- which Jackson clearly did not as of January 2007.

Last edited:
Yea, and the first sign of signifigant injury during his entire football career. He was extremely durable in college....

And now two (2) injuries in one (1) season in the pros.
Here's a clue...some fine college players can't play in the NFL.
My point...he makes Terry Glenn's 1st season look like an iron man.

Why all the man-love apologists for Jackson?

And now two (2) injuries in one (1) season in the pros.
Here's a clue...some fine college players can't play in the NFL.
My point...he makes Terry Glenn's 1st season look like an iron man.

Why all the man-love apologists for Jackson?

Why all the hate? Someone punch you in the vagina? His having injuries doesn't mean he can't play at the pro level.

I was under the impression that he tore his acl and is "most likely" out indefinetly, at least till late fall. People on this board keep talking like he will be ready to play this upcoming season and I don't think this is realistic. He is a bust!! Our biggest in a while.. thanks

Even if he is healthy, he is 5th on the depth chart - considering BB plays so many 2 TE sets, the 5th wide out plays minimally. In other words, I don't think CJs season affects the successfulness of the Pats in 07 and the 08 playoffs. Plus the signing of 3 wide receivers in FA basically says to me that SP/BB have raised the white flag on CJ in 07.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes