PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cam Newton Interview: "I was bamboozled"

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I think this is a unique topic, as Cam Newton's interview today adds fuel to the fire beyond his release, and suggests more to the nefarious possible nature of the Pats organization or various sleazy people inside Foxborough (not to mention toxic Boston media).

- Cam says in retrospect it was all set up, irrespective of being out 5 days, because he was only getting a dozen snaps a day. Mac would get 2nd team snaps but then go back and get 1st team snaps every day.
- Says he went to Atlanta for a medical trip to get his foot (lisfranc) checked out. Said the whole travel plan was authorized by the Patriots staff. Said he did what the Patriots approved and was surprised then he had to sit 5 days (during which time Mac had high visibility that week including against the Giants).

Echo'ing a good comment @venecol made elsewhere: "If that's true, it makes me think someone was definitely trying to paint Cam in a poor light to justify his release. They leaked to media that people were livid inside the organization about his missing practice. Wow, that's pretty sleazy. WTF is going on in that building?"

It does sound like some people in the Pats building are being sleazy (not BB or Kraft). The Ninkovich comments were total bush league. Skip Bayless' criticism was spot on here in terms of a broader narrative, not exactly the best look for Boston. And whoever supposedly leaked the crap rumor to Ninkovich, the not knowing the playbook garbage rumors, is also a human POS.

Last edited:
"Newton said the [Patriots] "did a good job with disguising it [by giving me the first reps].

He acknowledged feeling “bamboozled,” therefore, by the mandated five-day absence because the Patriots cleared the appointment, which he revealed was a checkup on the surgically repaired left foot he suffered a Lisfranc injury to in 2019.

Newton also bristled at the suggestion by former Patriot and current ESPN analyst Rob Ninkovich that Jones was helping teach the veteran New England’s playbook: “What can he teach me when it’s coming at [Jones] faster than it was coming at me?”

Last edited:
Let's talk about Rohan Davey & Damon Huard next.

Sure. Let's do that when you have ridiculous 'get the popcorn' threads for those other guys too, or bush league media reports about not knowing the playbook or other trashy sleazy topics to diss a guy already off the team. Until then, this is still a major story partly because of the toxic Boston media and also elements who keep wanting to talk about dissing a guy already released.

funny-fire.gif

Well. I think that BB makes up his own mind and doesn't need external influences to do it for him. If Cam is pissed, that's understandable, but he should have known that BB is his own man (ask Drew) and does what he thinks is best for his football team. If you believe all the media ****, that's on you buying into whatever contreversy they want to propagate, regardless of the obvious situation Cam was in. I'm sure he never figured that he would not be wanted if Mac had worked out. Most fallen stars never see (or don't want to see) the knockout punch coming, never mind landing. It's not something they look for. That's human nature. I hope Cam lands on his feet, but it's not going to be as a starter unless a starter goes down in the league and the backup is not as skilled as Cam. He will always be a temp or a backup from now on if he stays in the league. He's been a temp with the Pats since he came here. Can anyone, with a straight face, tell us that Cam was anything more than that?

"Newton said the [Patriots] "did a good job with disguising it [by giving me the first reps].

He acknowledged feeling “bamboozled,” therefore, by the mandated five-day absence because the Patriots cleared the appointment, which he revealed was a checkup on the surgically repaired left foot he suffered a Lisfranc injury to in 2019.

Newton also bristled at the suggestion by former Patriot and current ESPN analyst Rob Ninkovich that Jones was helping teach the veteran New England’s playbook: “What can he teach me when it’s coming at [Jones] faster than it was coming at me?”

So, what he’s saying is that the Patriots wanted a first round pick QB to beat out a guy who admitted to playing poorly last year. Ok.

I think the doctor appointment was an admitted mistake... even Bill got up and said so. No, he didn’t clarify it as well as he should have, but that’s not out of character for Bill (see the 7,000 Butler SB threads).

The Ninkovich comment is solely on Nink. It sounds like there’s some truth to Mac teaching Cam, as there is to Cam teaching Mac and that’s pretty normal in a QB room. Nink made it sound like something that never happens or that it wasn’t going both ways. I think you rightly pointed out there’s a media problem in this town, but that’s not new to Cam.

Potential sleazy stuff aside, this dude is cooked. No one wants to watch him struggle playing quarterback any longer.

If they weren't forthright with him, then they should have been. It wasn't a mystery his QB skills were diminished and painful to watch. Mac is the right decision.

I think this is a unique topic, as Cam Newton's interview today adds fuel to the fire beyond his release, and suggests more to the nefarious possible nature of the Pats organization or various sleazy people inside Foxborough (not to mention toxic Boston media).

- Cam says in retrospect it was all set up, irrespective of being out 5 days, because he was only getting a dozen snaps a day. Mac would get 2nd team snaps but then go back and get 1st team snaps every day.
- Says he went to Atlanta for a medical trip to get his foot (lisfranc) checked out. Said the whole travel plan was authorized by the Patriots staff. Said he did what the Patriots approved and was surprised then he had to sit 5 days (during which time Mac had high visibility that week including against the Giants).

Echo'ing a good comment @venecol made elsewhere: "If that's true, it makes me think someone was definitely trying to paint Cam in a poor light to justify his release. They leaked to media that people were livid inside the organization about his missing practice. Wow, that's pretty sleazy. WTF is going on in that building?"

It does sound like some people in the Pats building are being sleazy. The Ninkovich comments were total bush league. Skip Bayless' criticism was spot on here in terms of a broader narrative, not exactly the best look for Boston. And whoever supposedly leaked the crap rumor to Ninkovich, the not knowing the playbook garbage rumors, is also a human POS.

For all I know this could have been a nefarious plot, but that doesn't really sound like BB, he isn't exactly known as somebody who is constantly "working the media" by dropping rumors, etc. Another explanation that would appear to fit the facts might be that the Patriots approved the 5 day trip but reminded Cam he had to follow NFL testing protocols (or assumed he knew that). The misunderstanding could have simply been that Cam thought any COVID test would satisfy the NFL, when in reality as best as I can tell the NFL requires that the COVID tests are by some company called BioReference Laboratories that was recommended by the joint NFL-NFLPA joint medical task force NFLCovidTestingProtocols . Rather than setting a trap, the Patriots could have assumed Cam would do his homework and get a NFL approved COVID test during his trip.

If this was the case, I could see how Cam could have thought that the Patriots should have given him more explicit testing guidance, and the Patriots assumed it was his job (as an unvaccinated player) to figure out how to follow the approved NFL protocols during his trip. This seems like a simpler explanation and it fits the "Cam did not violate team rules" and "there was a misunderstanding" narrative that the Pats put out.

I'm confused about the trip being some kind of "set-up"? Cam seems to be saying he was tricked because the Patriots cleared the trip and he wouldn't have gone if he knew that would be the result. But he wasn't held out because he took a trip. The problem was he did not test himself properly. It really has nothing to do with the trip... Am I missing something here?

With all the hours involved in getting ready for week 1 and the season in general, why the F would the organization spend so much time and effort to bamboozle Cam? Makes no sense. They can cut any play at any time without giving a reason. Did they baboozle Lawyer Milloy back in 2003? Give me a flippin break! Did Thomase start this rumor?

I was hoping this would stay buried in the Cam Released thread.

Bottom line:
A former #1 QB with a large personality and big ego on the downside of his career gets passed over/released for for the new/next best thing.
It's rarely pretty.
The media is in the midst of a feeding frenzy. It will pass (like a kidney stone).

Do you all remember the shyte-storm when Drew was passed over for Tom. Does "duplicitous pond scum" ring a bell?
Then traded w/in the division!!!

This was the right decision and inevitable. I personally am ecstatic that it happened sooner rather than later. The Pats were going nowhere with Cam. He still showed the same mechanics, accuracy, and processing issues form the previous season. Same 'ol same 'ol.
Cam was a stopgap and a bad fit. Mac's intellect and processing ability accelerated the process....thank God.

We can only hope this transition is nearly as successful as the last one.
I see so many of the same traits in Mac that we saw in Tom. I think all the other franchises ahead of us overthought it.
He's heady, driven, and a winner. That's all you need to know.
San Fran effed up.
The Pats lucked out that he was available at 15.

We really should provide the full Cam quote:

"I was bamboozled.......... trying to learn the playbook and read a defense."

Nefarious plot? Tricked, bamboozled, set up? I just don’t get it. Why would BB even have to do any of that? Why does Belichick have to make Cam look bad? It’s not as if the guy was playing like an All-Pro and you really had to go out and justify why you removed the guy. Also, how can he say he wasn’t beat? We all saw it with our own ****ing eyes. Macs play was consistent. Sometimes he performed better than Cam, other days equal. He never looked piss poor and out of his element. When a rookie is performing that well in comparison to a seasoned vet….the seasoned vet has been beat. Sure, he has hurt feelings. Most people do after they get fired. I’m sure there is some truth in between, but again, the same didn’t need to make Cam look bad. His play did that just fine.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back