PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cam Newton explains how he ended up with the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it is my homerism creeping in but after not being onboard with brining him in I am starting to get pretty excited about seeing him play for us.

Cam definitely doesn't have the personality or demeanor that I would want in my Quarterback, and he's like the complete opposite of Brady in that regard...

However I do like that he appears to be pissed off and feels disrespected, seems he has something to prove and that should work out well for the Patriots whether its him winning the starting gig or pushing Stidham to be better

In terms of their public speaking abilities, Cam takes some.... getting used to :haha:

Cam definitely doesn't have the personality or demeanor that I would want in my Quarterback, and he's like the complete opposite of Brady in that regard...

However I do like that he appears to be pissed off and feels disrespected, seems he has something to prove and that should work out well for the Patriots whether its him winning the starting gig or pushing Stidham to be better

In terms of their public speaking abilities, Cam takes some.... getting used to :haha:
I don't see me tuning in to the 5th Quarter much. I don't think I can deal.

I don't see me tuning in to the 5th Quarter much. I don't think I can deal.

I am gonna enjoy the post-game interviews with Newton...they will be colorful for sure.

I am gonna enjoy the post-game interviews with Newton...they will be colorful for sure.
It's going to be culture shock after Tom Terrific and his Captain America ways.

Cam arrives from LA at Boston Logan airport.

I totally hear you. Makes complete sense in Boston.

Please explain. How does a movie of him talking about no one wanting him mean that he is guaranteed to start for the team that paid him the minimum.
Seriously. You aren’t making any sense.
He's a talented guy. He's extremely motivated. He's circled the teams the Pats play this year that passed on him. He already assumes he's replacing Tom Brady.

But yeah, he's going to just flame out and lose to a guy (Stidum) with hardly any experience. What's funny is that the only asinine argument people on this board have is that Stidum wins the job because "he's been in the system for a year". I'll put my money on that "ticked off dog" who's had some success.

Injury is his only competition.

He's a talented guy. He's extremely motivated. He's circled the teams the Pats play this year that passed on him. He already assumes he's replacing Tom Brady.

But yeah, he's going to just flame out and lose to a guy (Stidum) with hardly any experience. What's funny is that the only asinine argument people on this board have is that Stidum wins the job because "he's been in the system for a year". I'll put my money on that "ticked off dog" who's had some success.

Injury is his only competition.
Ok so we disagree that when no one wants a player it makes them good.

If Newton is going to be put in an offense that accentuates his running ability then yes he is talented and will start.
But if the offense calls for him to be a pocket passer he won’t be a “talented guy” and Stidham will have a real opportunity to win the job.

The fact that he says he is circling teams that passed on him (which would be all of them) has nothing to do with it. He will either make plays or not, there is no artificial improvement that happens due to being “ticked off”.

Ok so we disagree that when no one wants a player it makes them good.

If Newton is going to be put in an offense that accentuates his running ability then yes he is talented and will start.
But if the offense calls for him to be a pocket passer he won’t be a “talented guy” and Stidham will have a real opportunity to win the job.

The fact that he says he is circling teams that passed on him (which would be all of them) has nothing to do with it. He will either make plays or not, there is no artificial improvement that happens due to being “ticked off”.

Nobody wanted Randy Moss in 2007

That’s not true, and even if it were that wouldn’t make him a better player.
It’s like people think professional athletes go out there and get the crap beaten out of them and don’t care how they play but the minute someone doubts them, oh boy now they are really gonna try. It’s obtuse.

That’s not true, and even if it were that wouldn’t make him a better player.
It’s like people think professional athletes go out there and get the crap beaten out of them and don’t care how they play but the minute someone doubts them, oh boy now they are really gonna try. It’s obtuse.

I feel pretty confident in saying your entire perspective would be different if Cam's skin color was different. It's not even close vs Stidham. Former NFL MVP. Went to a Superbowl. #1 draft pick. Heisman Trophy winner. Before his shoulder injury that season he was amazing 68% passing and a 5:1 TD/int ratio. Vs a guy who was not good in college, and has thrown 3 nfl passes 1 for a INT touchdown return.

Only in Boston..

I get your point. But, there is a huge difference between the most talented WR to ever play the game that mentally checked out while playing for a losing organization and an above average QB who has been ravaged by injuries.

With that said, I don't know how it will sort out. I am of the mindset that Cam is not going to take us to a SB let alone win one, so why not see what you got with the kid, and plan accordingly next year?

I feel pretty confident in saying your entire perspective would be different if Cam's skin color was different.
It appears you are racist. Well I am not. Keep your disgusting thoughts to yourself please.

It's not even close vs Stidham.
stidham is the other option.

Former NFL MVP. Went to a Superbowl. #1 draft pick. Heisman Trophy winner.
what do those things have to do with he he will play if he entirely changes his game, eliminates his best skill, and plays a style he has never played successfully?

Before his shoulder injury that season he was amazing 68% passing and a 5:1 TD/int ratio. Vs a guy who was not good in college, and has thrown 3 nfl passes 1 for a INT touchdown return.
Before his shoulder injury he ran as often as the rest of his career. The offense really wasn’t any better, only his comp %, which was enhanced by a large amount of high completion % dump offs that are not indicative of a change in ability of a career 58% passer, but of play calling.

Only in Boston..

Only in Boston what? FYI I don’t live in Boston.

In the video Cam says he is wondering how it would work between him and BB. The answer is easy. BB will tell Cam what to do and Cam will do it. If Cam follows BB instructions well he might stick, if Cam follows his instructions poorly, due to attitude or physical ability, he will be cut. It is no more complicated than that. Ask Bledsoe.

I do not think Cam will be cut for attitude or fit. He seems committed and respectful. Cam can throw a short ball well, so I think there is a fit. Can Cam pick up the offense? Is Cam physically OK? Multiple shoulder injuries are tough to return from. Foot injuries are tough too, but Cam does not need to run a lot, so maybe that is OK. At the moment this is Cam's only option. We will see ...............

You nailed the analysis stem to stern.

We shall see if for the first time in his entire NFL career Cam's head coach is able to subjugate him for the benefit of the team...

...personally not a fan but with that said, I'm pulling for Cam to prove how good he could have been if properly coached from first the day he entered the league.

Last edited:
You nailed the analysis stem to stern.

We shall see if for the first time in his entire NFL career Cam's head coach is able to subjugate him for the benefit of the team...

...personally not a fan but with that said, I'm pulling for Cam to prove how good he could have been if properly coached from first the day he entered the league.

What are you talking about, subjugate himself for the team? He was hugely popular in Carolina and took a lot of hits as well . Aside from some pre conceived notion, where does this idea come from that he's selfish ?

What are you talking about, subjugate himself for the team? He was hugely popular in Carolina and took a lot of hits as well . Aside from some pre conceived notion, where does this idea come from that he's selfish ?

One does not "subjugate himself"...

Neither popularity, nor hits taken, are indicative of commitment to the greater good.

Cam is entirely capable but has never had legitimate/effective NFL coaching...

...to paraphrase the inimitable Frank Zappa...

..."all he needs is a little discipline"...

One does not "subjugate himself"...

Neither popularity, nor hits taken, are indicative of commitment to the greater good.

Cam is entirely capable but has never had legitimate/effective NFL coaching...

...to paraphrase the inimitable Frank Zappa...

..."all he needs is a little discipline"...

You made a pretty crazy claim. Where is the evidence that Newton ever placed himself above the team or acted selfish ?

Maybe it is my homerism creeping in but after not being onboard with brining him in I am starting to get pretty excited about seeing him play for us.

Im not a Cam fan either,but can see the possibilities if things go right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down