PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Calvin Ridley? No thanks. (EDIT: Signs With Titans)

He averaged around 70 catches and under 1000 yards in his first 5 seasons. No thanks to 50 Million guaranteed.

The deal is Ridley isn’t that guy. FA has always been to sign players that put you over the top - not to build the team. You can’t build a team signing a player like Ridley.

Perfect example is Tyrek Hill. As great as he is, even he can’t put the team on his back. So I’m not paying a lessor guy like Ridley who has a history of quitting on his team.

Even if the Pats were in one of their Dynasty’s, this would’ve been a terrible signing.
I agree, with one exception: Tee Higgins. He would still be in his prime 3 to 4 years from now and would offer a young QB a legit and talented WR (who's best days could be yet to come). The reason you gave is the same reason I was against signing Judon. Great player, but was 28-29 in the 1st year of his contract. That's a player that you get to put an already solid to great defense over the top (and only if the rest of the team is already a legit SB contender). Kind of like when we nabbed Rodney Harrison.

There's 16 WRs in the NFL currently averaging 20m a year, that's the going rate for fringe #1 especially in FA.

Welcome to 2024.
Absolutely true. Thats the lower end for a #1.
I do agree he was not the guy for this team. But without a very good qb and a top tier WR its tough to consistently win in the 2024 nfl

2023 Stat Comparison - Jakobi Signed his contract in 2023
Jakobi Myers - Rec - 71 Yards 807 TD 8 - Contract 3 years 33 Mill Signing Bonus 5.5 Million, 11 Million Per Year, 21 Million Guaranteed
Calvin Ridley - Rec - 76 Yards 1016 TD 8 - Contract 4 years 92 Million, 50 Million Guaranteed

IMO, Ridley is a better receiver than Myers but that is a big contract for his production.

I’m happy we helped the Titans pay a boatload for a 30 yr old WR.

2023 Stat Comparison - Jakobi Signed his contract isn 2023
Jakobi Myers - Rec - 71 Yards 807 TD 8 - Contract 3 years 33 Mill Signing Bonus 5.5 Million, 11 Million Per Year, 21 Million Guaranteed
Calvin Ridley - Rec - 76 Yards 1016 TD 8 - Contract 4 years 92 Million, 50 Million Guaranteed

IMO, Ridley is a better receiver than Myers but that is a big contract for his production.
Especially when he would be 32 y/o before we even can really be competitive for a playoff spot. Can’t rip on the Titans too much as it’s apparent the Pats tried to pay him a boat load too.

Patriots got used! They should have set a time limit to take the offer. This is the third time in past several years Pats have lost out to Titans for free agent WR
Ridleys agent knew Pats were desperate and took advantage for his client

Adam Humphries
Hopkins
Ridley

Patriots got used! They should have set a time limit to take the offer. This is the third time in past several years Pats have lost out to Titans for free agent WR
Ridleys agent knew Pats were desperate and took advantage for his client

Adam Humphries
Hopkins
Ridley
They got used. However…if it wasn’t for the Pats…the Titans would not have spent an incredibly stupid amount on a 30 yr old WR.

Especially when he would be 32 y/o before we even can really be competitive for a playoff spot. Can’t rip on the Titans too much as it’s apparent the Pats tried to pay him a boat load too.
I agree. Sounds like we were willing to overpay even though 2024 will probably be a QB bridge year.

I agree, with one exception: Tee Higgins. He would still be in his prime 3 to 4 years from now and would offer a young QB a legit and talented WR (who's best days could be yet to come). The reason you gave is the same reason I was against signing Judon. Great player, but was 28-29 in the 1st year of his contract. That's a player that you get to put an already solid to great defense over the top (and only if the rest of the team is already a legit SB contender). Kind of like when we nabbed Rodney Harrison.
I wasn't a huge fan of Judon in Baltimore as the question mark on him was whether it was the blitzing scheme that made him look better than he really was? However, he was signed at a bargain rate in 2021 and has far exceeded that contract. I've been a fan of his since the 2021 season and he should be paid among the best.

Regarding Tee Higgens, I'm not as excited about him as others. He's not the best route runner and his style is a 50/50 guys that needs a good QB to be effective.

Harrison was a guy you don't pass up, but Colvin was signed to be the guy that put them over the top. Ditto with Thomas and trade for Moss in 2007. However, the key piece in 2003 was Ted Washington. They don't run the 3-4 without him.

All that offensive talent and at QB, Tannehill 2.0. Titans are spending for the sake of spending. Good luck to them.

I agree with you about Ridley. I do not think he wanted to pmay here as #1 receiver.
Still without that #1
Feels like Wolf is punting on this year.
No idea where you’re getting that impression. They were aggressively in on him and offered the most until he leveraged us against both Jacksonville and Tennessee and the Titans overpaid. Again, he used New England to get that deal - he was never coming here. But Wolf absolutely went all-in. And I’m sure he’s frustrated that Ridley wasted their time.

There's 16 WRs in the NFL currently averaging 20m a year, that's the going rate for fringe #1 especially in FA.

Welcome to 2024.
That's cool, but about 31% of the WR's in the top 16 were on playoff teams this season. In fact, only two of those 16 WR's were on teams that made it to at least the Divisional Round of the playoffs this year. Not their fault as they can only control so much.

I'm a WR guy all the way, but forking out money for fringe #1 WR's isn't going so well.

Welcome to 2024.
Thank you for trying to inject a little reality here.

No idea where you’re getting that impression. They were aggressively in on him and offered the most until he leveraged us against both Jacksonville and Tennessee and the Titans overpaid. Again, he used New England to get that deal - he was never coming here. But Wolf absolutely went all-in. And I’m sure he’s frustrated that Ridley wasted their time.
By punting I mean their selection if Brissett as UFA qb. They are not going to seriously compete with himas qb this year.
To me punting means it will be a bridge year.
When there is a rising qb, that is when they will overpay for WR

I wasn't a huge fan of Judon in Baltimore as the question mark on him was whether it was the blitzing scheme that made him look better than he really was? However, he was signed at a bargain rate in 2021 and has far exceeded that contract. I've been a fan of his since the 2021 season and he should be paid among the best.

Regarding Tee Higgens, I'm not as excited about him as others. He's not the best route runner and his style is a 50/50 guys that needs a good QB to be effective.

Harrison was a guy you don't pass up, but Colvin was signed to be the guy that put them over the top. Ditto with Thomas and trade for Moss in 2007. However, the key piece in 2003 was Ted Washington. They don't run the 3-4 without him.
Ted Washington allowed them to move Seymour to DE (who was solid as a rookie playing NT in the 3-4).

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back