PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler For Cooks Deal Being Hashed Out Between NE-NO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butler may have told the Pats that he wants/needs to be closer to home and thus would be likely to sign an offer with a southern team. The Pats may have thought, "well, let's give that to him and get something we want in return."
Totally making that up but it makes sense.

Don't like it....Why do we need more WRs? We need more CBs.

Why does everyone think we're stacked at WR? We have Edelman (30 with injury history) and guys who are either role players (Hogan, Amendola) or unknowns (Mitchell). It's one of the team's bigger needs IMO.

Why does everyone think we're stacked at WR? We have Edelman (30 with injury history) and guys who are either role players (Hogan, Amendola) or unknowns (Mitchell). It's one of the team's bigger needs IMO.

Because we win super bowls with so-called "role players" at WR. It's how our system works.

And your saying cooks is some special wide out, if he were that special i'd know his name. i wnet through the 'oh wow we'll be un-stopable with -------- at wide reciever" years ago. Look at at randy moss, put up great numbers, but in the end it didn't count much towards winning a super bowl. I'd much rather have a great corner back.

But now with Gilmore...can you pay 2 Cbs 14 mill? and keep DH? No. So yeah it sucks but once Gilmore signed..we all saw this coming or something like this

Yes.

Butler is not being paid $14mm this season, he is being paid $4mm.
The cap has been going up $10mm a season, so could be $175-180mm next season.

Someone earlier commented that two corners at $14mm each would be 1/3 of the cap. No, it would be under 1/6. And would create a huge defensive advantage.

I would absolutely love to see a defense with the two of them.

Yep and as I have said if the Faclons take a knee x3 and kick a FG and/or JE does not make a helmet catch we dont win 51 and the narrative around here would have been how terrible our O was and how we need help on O.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
And your saying cooks is some special wide out, if he were that special i'd know his name. i wnet through the 'oh wow we'll be un-stopable with -------- at wide reciever" years ago. Look at at randy moss, put up great numbers, but in the end it didn't count much towards winning a super bowl. I'd much rather have a great corner back.

We have a great CB. actually 2 now and we dont know the full potential of the Joeses or how Rowe will develop. Plus a solid SS and elite FS. Who have been healthy.

What we have not had is the same luck with our receivers and they are geting up there in age.

Additionally the new measure of whether a NFL player is special is whether or not YOU know his name? Really? Not what BB thinks of his great numbers?

Get the ****k of your high horse. You sound 12

hate to see them trade butler but to tell you the truth i am more shocked that they are going to pay top dollar Stephon Gilmore.

Because we win super bowls with so-called "role players" at WR. It's how our system works.

There is no "system" or "formula". It is do what is the best for the team and that is constantly reassessed. And the game is far different than it was 10-12 years ago.

We were also so heavily hit by injuries that in the midst of a playoff run we signed a guy off of waivers and rushed him into the lineup, after first signing Griff Whalen off of the Colts discard pile.

Dola and Jules are getting up there in years and are not necessarily likely to be injury-free types, on the wrong side of 30.

Cooks high snap numbers and record of not missing games is one of the best aspects of this possible trade.

I still don't like it, BTW, since Butler has been such a great story & player, but I understand the need for adding a good WR.

hate to see them trade butler but to tell you the truth i am more shocked that they are going to pay top dollar Stephon Gilmore.
Why? Pro bowler ona team with a differnt DC every year. Bigger than butler and younger and stats out just as good if not better - in possible worse system.

Maybe BB knows something you dont?

On a side note, a CB combo of Breaux and Butler goes a long way to fielding an actual decent defense for the Saints. They still need a good amount of help on that side of the ball, but the two starting corner positions would be taken care of for years to come.

Oh, I see. Since we just won it all, the roster needs no improvement.

The WRs did a fantastic job last year. The current group may not make it happen twice in a row, however.

I say we pay Butler 14M this year and pay Cyrus Jones $25 per game.

Why? Pro bowler ona team with a differnt DC every year. Bigger than butler and younger and stats out just as good if not better - in possible worse system.

Maybe BB knows something you dont?

i am shocked they are giving a long term big money contract to a outside player BB has never done it before. as for butler i am not shocked cause im pretty he dose not want to play for 3 million dollars

Oh, I see. Since we just won it all, the roster needs no improvement.

The WRs did a fantastic job last year. The current group may not make it happen twice in a row, however.

We won two super bowls with these type of receivers. We won zero with Randy Moss. In a salary cap league, you have to pick and choose where you spend $ on improving the team. Of course, Brandin Cooks is an upgrade over Danny Amendola - no question about it. But the defense got stomped on in the super bowl. Focus the $ on HT and Butler. Without them the defense is just average.

It's hard to believe 2 years ago we were talking about being able to extend Butler, Hightower, Jones, and Collins, and who would go.

I never imagined we wouldn't extend any of them.
...and still be in good shape... -ish?

It's obvious that NE just sees the Titans as the biggest threat in the AFC and is driving up Cooks price to hurt them. Jeez, you're all so dense to not see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back