PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler For Cooks Deal Being Hashed Out Between NE-NO

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think of Cooks?

He seems to have a lot of talent, I think a good player, haven't seen enough of him though. I'd rather not trade Butler though and I kind of like our wide outs.

We're talking about one of the best young CB's in the league and a legit Superbowl hero. This team has another Lombardi in its office right now because of Malcolm Butler. A lot of fans are going to take awhile to digest this news, I know I am.

honestly, I don't have a problem with it

ty law was a hero, they cut him
willie mcginest was a hero, they cut him
mankins dumped
seymour dumped

lots of good players dumped.....they must have their reasons

Please note I'm not saying the news is bad or oh no disaster or whatevs, just that we have an emotional attachment to Mr. Butler that it's gonna be a little hard to see past for awhile if he's traded. I don't want to lose Butler, but I do know that an elite wideout could be a big help with Brady possibly declining in the next few seasons, better weapons will keep him elite for longer in theory. But that doesn't mean that the emotions surrounding a guy like Butler are easy to dismiss or ignore.

honestly, I don't have a problem with it

ty law was a hero, they cut him
willie mcginest was a hero, they cut him
mankins dumped
seymour dumped

lots of good players dumped.....they must have their reasons
Exactly! People act like BB doesn't do this just about every other year. I love Butler too, but he is replaceable just like (just about) any other player. Gilmore is a fine CB. He can man up & play tight coverage & has great size. We'll be fine.

Please note I'm not saying the news is bad or oh no disaster or whatevs, just that we have an emotional attachment to Mr. Butler that it's gonna be a little hard to see past for awhile if he's traded. I don't want to lose Butler, but I do know that an elite wideout could be a big help with Brady possibly declining in the next few seasons, better weapons will keep him elite for longer in theory. But that doesn't mean that the emotions surrounding a guy like Butler are easy to dismiss or ignore.

emotions lead to bad decisions.......vinatieri was a hero the same way and he wound up with the colts

NFL

Not
For
Long

He seems to have a lot of talent, I think a good player, haven't seen enough of him though. I'd rather not trade Butler though and I kind of like our wide outs.

I would if we swap picks.

Butler For Cooks Deal Being Hashed Out Between NE-NO

Steve Balestrieri

Now comes the news that the Patriots are talking a trade with New Orleans with Malcolm Butler and Brandin Cooks being dealt straight up.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Steve - Not sure if you realize this but this "RUMOR" was posted here on Patsfans as speculation and Russini posted about it about 10 minutes later..

Since then, they've all been quoting the same "RUMOR"..

Trey Flowers?

They need another pass rusher. They will lose sheard and long. They need a DE that can rush the passer. This draft's filled with pass rushers. I wanna see them give odrick a look

DO NOT LIKE!!!

Look, I get the fact that Butler is a Superbowl legend and a Boston icon because of that play but let's get real for a second . . .

Is he really better than Gilmore (who is younger than Butler)?

Bradin Cook isn't exactly chopped liver.

With ESPN's Diana Russini tweeting this morning that the Patriots are considering a trade of cornerback Malcolm Butler to the New Orleans Saints in a deal that involves wide receiver Brandin Cooks, here are a few thoughts: 1) If the Patriots deal Butler, it would be economic-based with the thinking that an extension is highly unlikely after his restricted free-agent season of 2017. So it would be similar to the Chandler Jones trade from last year from the team's perspective: Get something for a player you don't believe will be part of your long-term plans because of a difference of opinion on value; 2) The sides were close to a deal last year but couldn't push it over the goal-line. There has been no advancement since that time, and if anything, Butler could make a stronger case to hold firm in his stance after a solid 2016 season; 3) Trading Butler and using some of the money to sign a player outside of the system in Stephon Gilmore comes with risk – both on the field and from a perception standpoint with players. Butler is almost everything the Patriots could have wanted, and those are the types of players the team usually wants to reward. But in this case, he would be leaving the organization to get his big financial reward.

With ESPN's Diana Russini tweeting this morning that the Patriots are considering a trade of cornerback Malcolm Butler to the New Orleans Saints in a deal that involves wide receiver Brandin Cooks, here are a few thoughts: 1) If the Patriots deal Butler, it would be economic-based with the thinking that an extension is highly unlikely after his restricted free-agent season of 2017. So it would be similar to the Chandler Jones trade from last year from the team's perspective: Get something for a player you don't believe will be part of your long-term plans because of a difference of opinion on value; 2) The sides were close to a deal last year but couldn't push it over the goal-line. There has been no advancement since that time, and if anything, Butler could make a stronger case to hold firm in his stance after a solid 2016 season; 3) Trading Butler and using some of the money to sign a player outside of the system in Stephon Gilmore comes with risk – both on the field and from a perception standpoint with players. Butler is almost everything the Patriots could have wanted, and those are the types of players the team usually wants to reward. But in this case, he would be leaving the organization to get his big financial reward.

When i think of great wide outs cooks doesn't come to mind, in fact i didn't know the name. I knew who mike floyd was/is, but cooks ...it didn't ring a bell.
You've heard of Michael Floyd who broke 1000 yds once, 4 years ago, but you've never heard of a guy coming off back to back 1100+ yds seasons.

Yes.

Butler is not being paid $14mm this season, he is being paid $4mm.
The cap has been going up $10mm a season, so could be $175-180mm next season.

Someone earlier commented that two corners at $14mm each would be 1/3 of the cap. No, it would be under 1/6. And would create a huge defensive advantage.

I would absolutely love to see a defense with the two of them.
Assuming he would sign his tender.

We won two super bowls with these type of receivers. We won zero with Randy Moss. In a salary cap league, you have to pick and choose where you spend $ on improving the team. Of course, Brandin Cooks is an upgrade over Danny Amendola - no question about it. But the defense got stomped on in the super bowl. Focus the $ on HT and Butler. Without them the defense is just average.
No, the defense did not 'get stomped on' in the SB. Did you actually watch the game?

If Butler goes, as we all expect, I think HE (Butlet) may have made a big mistake. This is pure speculation, of course, and there could be a million other side issues, but from the outside:

I have to believe that BB would have given that Gilmore contract to Butler. (I think Butler is better, but that could be homerism).

Did Butler overplay his hand? It's happened a dozen times before in NE.

If he did, he will likely regret it - Butler isn't big. BB puts him in position to succeed, and he's great...his work on guys like Antonio Brown was special to watch.

He became an SB hero here and landed a big endorsement deal (with Brown) already.

I'm just not sure a corner his size can succeed in any system. Grimes played great, but got the crap knocked out of him in Miami.

Butler, in NE with the winning program and the local love, would be better off in NE if we're talking a difference between 14m and 16m a year. The bigger the floor number, the less the difference means, i.e., there is a lot more difference between 5m to 7m than there is from 14m to 16m.

All that said, if he stays here on the tender, the NE secondary is sick.

No, the defense did not 'get stomped on' in the SB. Did you actually watch the game?

No, the guy you responded to is right: ATLANTA'S DEFENSE got stomped on in the SB. 540yds...to 340 for the Pats' D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back