PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

But It's Not Mac's Fault....

Where are they? I don't see any here but I haven't read every thread.
Look out the window, they're the ones with black hats, stiff in like they're on a cross. Also completely made of straw.

Find me a single soul who has declared Mac blameless for the way this season has gone and I will eat my face.
We have 8 pages of people making excuses for his outright horrendous play.

It's his line, coaches, weapons, scheme, his coordinator last year, he was a rookie the year prior... it's anything but the simplest answer, he's just not that good.

But you're right... nobody said anything.

Here comes page nine...

The irony that the biggest pretzel-twisting Bill Belichick apologist on the forum is frustrated with a couple of pretzel-twisting Mac Jones apologists.
Except no proof of my being a BB apologist exists.

Like earlier in the season when I said BB deserves to be fired for continuing to play Mac, or when I called the Sanu trade horrific, or when I said Hines, Stueber, Ronnie Perkins and on and on and on were terrible draft picks by who again... oh yeah, BB.

Seems anyone who doesn't believe the same exact thing you do, or that BB has bumbled and stumbled and been bad at his job while winning the most playoff games and rings in history is somehow an "apologist."

You can’t admit there’s a problem. You want to ignore the problems at WR and offensive line and pretend the QB is holding all of them back and someone else would magically make them good because it breaks your brain to accept how truly bad this team is. If you were honest with yourself, you’d admit there were many problems. Mac’s your excuse for the ineptitude of the rest of tue team.

The sad thing is I could do the opposite of what you did and keep all of Mac’s plays exactly as is for yesterdays game, and if Juju, Reagor, and Douglas make catches they 100% should have made the outcome of the game is changed.

So it works both ways. You can’t admit the problem is the whole team. Because you don’t understand football. You just want to ignore it and find a single quick scapegoat that if you replace him everything else falls in place
Not only did I say "the offensive line was the single biggest problem on this team through the first two weeks," after the Miami loss, but I was on here arguing that Mac hadn't played that badly the first two weeks, and warning Mac haters if his offensive line and weapons got healthy he might make them all look silly.

Well his O-Line got healthy in week three, and Mac made me look silly... because he totally faded after that game.

Against a top five Jet's defense the Pats ran the ball for 157 yards, gave up zero sacks and not too many pressures... Mac was still average. Video evidence showed time to pass, receivers open to make plays and poor decision making and throws by Mac. The next game he had a total meltdown of Chernobyl sized proportions... it wasn't his blocking or weapons, it was Mac.

I'm not the one who has been dogmatic, unable to admit I was wrong, open to new ideas... it was you people who lost the plot after the line got healthy in week three and improved.

Go back to before the 2021 draft... I was a Mac guy, I said he was accurate and had some tools to work with. I was wrong.

I've never had a problem admitting when I was wrong, you... not so much.

In yet in 2019 half this site was willing to call Brady washed and throw him under the bus and half were blaming the receivers and offensive line. We found out the talent was the problem. And you can't accuse Brady of sucking.
Brady was dealing with two separate injuries in 2019, he was playing hurt. We found out after the season ended, but he wasn't playing well down the stretch.
You could also apply this to Tua who looked like hot trash before he got Hill and Waddle.
False, Tua got better each season and got better before Tyreek arrived in 2022.

N4zsO35.png

You could also apply this to Josh Allen who was in a make or break year before they got Diggs.
False, Allen got better each season and got better before Diggs arrived in 2020
lJNTJld.png

You could also apply this to Trevor Lawrence who looked like one of the biggest busts ever before they invest in WR.
They added Christian Kirk, good slot receiver, Zay Jones panned as a first round bust in Washington... who were the super weapons they added. Lawrence got better because that's what good QB prospects do. They improve from their rookie season. Here's Jalen Hurts, they didn't add AJ Brown until 2020, notice how he got better each season.
lJNTJld.png

QB plays a role. You can't ignore that talent actually matters and can make good QB's look bad. We've seen it all over the league and we've seen it on this team. 2019 wasn't THAT long ago. The screams of Brady is washed and how dare he sulk on the sideline and undermine Bill Belichick wasn't that long ago. Talent is important and makes a difference. It's been proven multiple times.

And to go a step further, Justin Fields is a bad QB. DJ Moore's talent still shines through.
Where is Mac's improvement year to year, when has he leveled up?

We blamed Patricia in year two but it didn't stop Zappe from putting up numbers. Mac has gotten worse as other teams have figured him out. He has the best weapons he's had, better than 2021 when he was a promising rookie. He has gotten worse in a year he should be taking a big step forward. Yeah better weapons help, Mac's weapons weren't amazing but they were still good. His line has played better since week two. He has nose dived or played the same average/good level of play he has since his rookie year.

"Good for a rookie" isn't good enough for a player in year three.

It's his line, coaches, weapons, scheme, his coordinator last year, he was a rookie the year prior... it's anything but the simplest answer, he's just not that good.

Here comes page nine...
I'm going to do you a favor @Wozzy just in case this thread ever slows down and you get bored and want something to do. Feel free to come back to my post here to see if it inspires you to write something.

"Gee I think Mac is still a great quarterback and the rest of the team is the REAL problem. Too bad there is no evidence to the contrary."

You're welcome.

i'll just start with this one......two rushers bearing down, from around his left and up the middle, he could not step into this one

Rham thought it was an easy catch and was waiting with basket arms at his waist......if he high points that ball he might give up some YAC, but makes a huge chunk play.....instead he coasts and watches the defender instead make a great play

there's very few QBs i the league who can drill that throw off their back foot......and off the back foot was necessitated by the rush.....Rham has to finish that play and he did not
I can't believe anyone could twist themselves into a pretzel to blame Rham for running a perfect route and having the stop and come back for the ball... but here you are.

Mac should have let the ball go earlier and faster than he did, the pass rushers were inconsequential if he makes the right decision. Good grief...

Based on his reactions in this thread and elsewhere, have to assume he’s the sole remaining member of the Mac Jones fan club.
Undoubtedly, but he's also not alone... despite a subsection of posters here telling us these people don't exist.

I see their "dislikes" of my posts, so don't tell me they don't exist.

There's also the anti-BB brigade who need to get Bill fired at all costs, even if it means telling us Mac is not that bad... even if they never said those exact words... exactly.

Once they get BB fired, they can deal with Mac, one problem at a time, but first we need to get BB fired... so Mac is actually pretty good, it's everybody else Bill gave him.... despite video evidence proving to the contrary.

Here comes page nine...
Read again Wozzy. It's mostly people saying it's all of the above. But you know that already

Read again Wozzy. It's mostly people saying it's all of the above. But you know that already
We had numbnuts here telling us we had "no talent" back in 2014, 2016 and 2018.

We had numbnuts here telling us BB sucked at his job back in 2014, 2016 and 2018.

Every starter on the Patriot offense outside of Sidy Sow has proven themselves in the NFL on some other team, the one player who hasn't is Mac... but Mac isn't the biggest problem. When has Mac been great... name one time?

These other known quantities are the problem despite Mac's 25th ranked QB Rating, oh and that little issue of him leading the entire NFL in turnovers. Talk about rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Wozzy is clueless. Doesn’t surprise me he made this thread.
You've literally had to change your name from ZBellino, to Crawhammer to Keyser Size because of all the silly things you've said in the past... sounds legit.

Mac is really good, I'm wrong. Sound accurate?

Playing Zappe...He has to an acceptable extent been afforded that opportunity, and he has failed. There is at least a chance Mac might to an extent redeem himself, perhaps serve as in interim starter until some new prospect is developed, perhaps improve his value as trade bait to an extent. Starting Zappe will only confirm - again - that starting him is a bad idea. Zappe has had his opportunity and failed. Mac has been afforded as ill-managed and incompetent a shot as any first-round draftee has ever been afforded, it seems to me. He's been given crap coaching and a crap roster around him. I think we owe him further opportunity, in all fairness, particularly given that at least until year's end, it costs the team nothing to provide it. Again, I believe Mac is not likely up to the standard we require, but because of the HC and GM's incompetence, we are not in a position nor are we under any compulsion to make a final judgment on him at this time.

Sorry, but this is mind-bogglingly dumb. According to you, Zappe playing with 3rd stringers who were even WORSE than the makeshift line we put out on the field in the regular season was "Zappe being afforded that opportunity, and he has failed". Meanwhile, Mac being afforded 9 games where he's thrown 3 pick-sixes (should have been more) and done NOTHING - despite playing with the 1st string and his line eventually getting sorted out is "ill-managed and incompetent a shot as any first-round draftee has ever been afforded". In his 3RD YEAR! This is so delusional you should check whatever medication your on and stop drinking immediately.

At this point I'm okay with Zappe or Mac because we're playing to lose so we can draft a real QB. At least with Zappe I don't have to watch yet another back foot lob to the DBs while Scaredy-Mac loses his composure yet again. This is just a ridiculous take in my opinion.

Based on his reactions in this thread and elsewhere, have to assume he’s the sole remaining member of the Mac Jones fan club.
I made it clear that I was hesitant to "jump on the pile".
All of us know the the supporting cast is not noteworthy,
However Mac's arm strength, accuracy, and his decision making have not been very good.

Undoubtedly, but he's also not alone... despite a subsection of posters here telling us these people don't exist.

I see their "dislikes" of my posts, so don't tell me they don't exist.

There's also the anti-BB brigade who need to get Bill fired at all costs, even if it means telling us Mac is not that bad... even if they never said those exact words... exactly.

Once they get BB fired, they can deal with Mac, one problem at a time, but first we need to get BB fired... so Mac is actually pretty good, it's everybody else Bill gave him.... despite video evidence proving to the contrary.
Arguing one play is not the same as an apologist, he can still be bad and not be responsible for a couple of plays that didn't work out.

@Wozzy I'm surprised you are blaming Mac at all though. Usually you always defend QBs no matter what and put responsibility on everyone else. In fact I could have sworn you were defending Mac.

I get this completely. It's beginning to sound a little rote, weirdly scripted or something. I think the guy is really shot at this point. Imagine having a single dream in life - becoming a starting NFL qb - then running into the past couple years' ****show. That'll screw you up. I feel sorry for Mac, which I guess makes it hard for me to join in criticizing him beyond a certain point. It feels like kicking a guy when he's down.
Feel sorry for a guy who got a full-ride scholarship to the best football program in the nation and millions of dollars to play football (badly)? Not me. Those are the stakes when you try to become a big-time athlete, and once he's out of the league in a year or so (after some dumb teams try to make him a reclamation project) he's got a foundation from which his future is secure. That's great and I'm happy for him to achieve that despite his inability to be an NFL QB. That inability is shared by 99.9999% of the population, but we don't get the millions or adulation or other benefits that accrue to those who try. So he's good, hopefully he didn't get enough concussions for there to be CTE, but I got several and didn't make a dime playing sports when I was young. No regrets and don't feel sorry for me either.

Nah, he's family clearly. :rofl:

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back