PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

But It's Not Mac's Fault....

I watch a lot of the Bengals because I'm in Cincinnati. Friends often gather to watch, so I see Burrow often. While we shouldn't expect Brady, Burrow is a realistic bar that we can strive for, even just something close.

And watching Burrow shows a lot of differences. Even when Chase was out, Burrow's confidence is way beyond Mac's. He has that little bit of delusion that you need in a QB that he can make the throws the team needs.

Mac is nowhere close. He had some confidence it seemed in that first year, but it ain't there anymore. And it's far too noticeable.

We saw it yesterday when you compare Mac with Howell.

Howell threw a lot of passes where only his receivers had a chance even in tight coverages/tight windows.

The TD pass to Dotson down the middle where only he could get it in stride. Compare that to Mac's throw down the middle to Gesicki and Mac's pass hit the defender's back.

You defending the weapons is embarrassing. I guess it’s Mac’s fault Thornton can’t run a proper route, or that his trash receivers can’t catch. Douglas might be the only guy they have who can beat man coverage. Mac isn’t good enough to make the talent around him better, but he’s certainly not the biggest issue.

Mac is the type of quarteback that is the ultimage tease. There is always going to be something that says its not his fault. Lousy coaching, no receivers, bad offensive lines, bad cornerback play, whatever. In the end we will go year after saying its not his fault while having bad qb play and losing records. Now isn't all those things I mentioned true. Perhaps, but I just want to see him rise above those challenges a few times. Isn't that what good QBs do ?

Mac Jones does not possess the skills to be a starting QB in the NFL, does he deserve to be in the NFL? Probably, would he be “better” if he had more weapons, sure. But he’s not the guy, he’s not close to the guy.

Sometimes a simple change in the manner in which a matter is discussed tidies things up wonderfully. The discussion here of Bill requires only reasonable attention to tense. Watch:

1) Bill was a great coach for many years, a thing worthy of celebration and admiration.

2) Bill is a failing head coach and a failed GM, facts worthy of his being relieved of his GM job and afforded at most one more year to show what he can do as HC once he is relieved of the burdens of being GM. That is the best the team can offer in the circumstances. I fully understand this is an offer Bill is likely to decline: so it goes. We must be prepared to move on, an approach, it must be said, which offers, as any clean sweep does, very significant advantages over retaining Bill in any capacity.

Sometimes a simple change in the manner in which a matter is discussed tidies things up wonderfully. The discussion here of Bill requires only reasonable attention to tense. Watch:

1) Bill was a great coach for many years, a thing worthy of celebration and admiration.

2) Bill is a failing head coach and a failed GM, facts worthy of his being relieved of his GM job and afforded at most one more year to show what he can do as HC once he is relieved of the burdens of being GM. That is the best the team can offer in the circumstances. I fully understand this an offer Bill is likely to decline: so it goes. We must be prepared to move on, an approach, it must be said, which offers, as any clean sweep does, very significant advantages over retaining Bill in any capacity.
There is a thoughtful post which touches on everything without any hyperbole, denigration or rump kissing.

We saw it yesterday when you compare Mac with Howell.

Howell threw a lot of passes where only his receivers had a chance even in tight coverages/tight windows.

The TD pass to Dotson down the middle where only he could get it in stride. Compare that to Mac's throw down the middle to Gesicki and Mac's pass hit the defender's back.
Even as I would not be averse to keeping Mac around as an interim/bridge guy, I have to say this take is on the money. If we HAD to make a final evaluation of Mac (WE do not.), such points as this would carry a lot of weight. We don't have to make our final evaluation now, but if we did, it would have at this point have to be "Thanks but no thanks." I just wish the HC and GM's incompetence had not left us with so incomplete a basis for making that judgment.

Point is they was November last year and we are in the same situation with him.

And it causes him to have difficulty even if he targets a lower option who has broken free. Dude has the hardest time hitting receivers in stride and we forfeit a lot of YAC with that latency.
When I watch other games and see plays being made, I see the same plays on the table for us, and he doesn’t make them. Once in a while he does but mostly we aren’t taking advantage of what’s there to take.
You can blame not making the 4th 3rd down conversion of a drive but with a qb who could process we would already gave been in the end zone

The OL did stink at least early in the season.... the receivers are stink stank stunk... this is a poorly coached football team....and the QB isn't good either. All facts not excuses.

Goes back to BB being a piss poor GM for keep drafting trash offensive players.

It's called honesty. I'm in favor of it.
Honesty is cool for a bit but after a while it becomes tiresome, and annoying.
To take a page out of my wife's book when i make excuses for something I promised time and time again.
"I dont want to hear it, just get the sh*t done !!"
Thats how I feel when Mac stands up there every week about how and says he needs to do better. It just gets old. Better he just says I need to look at the tape, and then do something about it.

Criticizing things the coach does once in a while just like any fan of any team is "hating Bill". Ok

I said the QB isn't very good and somehow you turned that into me trying to argue Mac doesn't suck. Weird.
Speaking of agendas.

LOL don’t let Macs noodle arm seeing ghost butt have you so butthurt you would disrespect me or my mother without knowing anything about me lol.
Arch I didn’t go disrespecting a posters family member.
Why shake your head at me?

There is a thoughtful post which touches on everything without any hyperbole, denigration or rump kissing.
Too bad it's the 1,000,000,000 time he's said it. In almost the exact same words

Last edited:

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back