PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bush a possible Patriot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
dryheat44 said:
I've heard this phrase here, but a lot more in the national media describing Reggie Bush.

My lifetime so far includes, among others, OJ Simpson, Larry Czonka, Earl Campbell, Walter Payton, John Riggins, Franco Harris, Tony Dorsett, Marcus Allen, Eric ****erson, Barry Sanders, Emmit Smith, Curtis Martin, Priest Holmes, and LaDanian Tomlinson.

If I were a few years older, we could throw in Jim Brown.

Is "once in a lifetime player" an utterly ridiculous phrase, or is Reggie Bush gong to be better than all those players?

Is he even going to be the best RB in the NFL? Is he going to be the Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzkey, Roger Clemens, Pele of the NFL?

Let's can this "once in a lifetime" nonsense.

I cannot agree with you more

Reggie Bush is surely an exciting prospect

Let's see how many hits he can take from linebackers with 4.4 speed or 220lb safeties looking to take his head off

Just say NO to the next product of the NCAA Hype Machine (READ: Michael Vick)

drpatriot said:
But let's look at some of the draft choices before that, in my opinion, would have been worth trading a draft for.

1989 Troy Aikman, qb UCLA Dallas 12 6
1983 John Elway, qb Stanford Baltimore 16 10
1978 Earl Campbell, rb Texas Houston 8 5
1970 Terry Bradshaw, qb Louisana Tech Pittsburgh 14 3
1969 O.J. Simpson, rb Southern Cal. Buffalo 11 6

I also think you could make an argument for Carson Palmer, Drew Bledsoe and (I can't believe I'm saying this) Peyton Manning. There are some players that are clearly going to become so good that your draft is worth trading for them. I believe that Reggie Bush is one of these players.

You might consider that all of these players save two, are Quarterbacks. QBs handle the ball every play or 75 plays or so per game. They are the Offense all by themselves. A RB is lucky to touch it 25 times a game, or one third the time, and 1/6 of the plays in the game.. Reggie Bush? No thank you.

Flying Fungi said:
Let's see how many hits he can take from linebackers with 4.4 speed or 220lb safeties looking to take his head off

I'm not advocating for the Pats to trade up for Bush. But he is being talked about about like he'll be the next Leeland McElroy. This guy does some amazing things on the field. He won't be a work horse because of his size and he doesn't run between the takles. But Houston has Domanick Davis to do that. He also has great hands as a receiver and returns kicks as good as anyone. He is a threat to go all the way every time he touches the ball. It may be a cliche but it surely applies in this case.I know he had a great OL and Lendale White was a much tougher runner and could possibly have a better future. However, if anyone is going to take a beating on the field it will be White more so than Bush. As I stated before, he reminds me of Barry Sanders with more speed. He's not as elusive, (who is?), but it's tough to get a good hit on him. Unless he comes out in the flat and the QB hangs him out to dry, he will not get pounded like some other backs who constantly run between the takles and dish out punishment themselves (see: Corey Dillon, the Bus, etc.). I wouldn't trade up to get him but I can't wait to see him in the NFL. You know Gary Kubiak will get him an OL that can run block, maybe not this year but definately next.

borisman said:
I'm not advocating for the Pats to trade up for Bush. But he is being talked about about like he'll be the next Leeland McElroy. This guy does some amazing things on the field. He won't be a work horse because of his size and he doesn't run between the takles. But Houston has Domanick Davis to do that. He also has great hands as a receiver and returns kicks as good as anyone. He is a threat to go all the way every time he touches the ball. It may be a cliche but it surely applies in this case.I know he had a great OL and Lendale White was a much tougher runner and could possibly have a better future. However, if anyone is going to take a beating on the field it will be White more so than Bush. As I stated before, he reminds me of Barry Sanders with more speed. He's not as elusive, (who is?), but it's tough to get a good hit on him. Unless he comes out in the flat and the QB hangs him out to dry, he will not get pounded like some other backs who constantly run between the takles and dish out punishment themselves (see: Corey Dillon, the Bus, etc.). I wouldn't trade up to get him but I can't wait to see him in the NFL. You know Gary Kubiak will get him an OL that can run block, maybe not this year but definately next.

Exactly. Like a guy named Kevin Faulk. Very good player, will stick around for a long time, but not a guy I want to draft #1.

Faulk = Bush? You've been into the Kool-aid jar again, haven't you?

drewdagreat said:
Marshall Faulk is a better comparison.

I'm comfortable saying his career will be somewhere in between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes