PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Burning the last timeout at 2:03

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keep Up With The Joneses

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
There was plenty to say about the coaching tonight but this is the one that will stay with me. Someone give me any semblance of an explanation for this decision.

If they had called it inside 2 minutes Brady isn't throwing a Hail Mary.

There was plenty to say about the coaching tonight but this is the one that will stay with me. Someone give me any semblance of an explanation for this decision.

No. The got 2 stoppages this way. It’s the same thing if they call it at 203 than if they go to 2 minute warning abc call it after.

It's absolutely the perfect time to call a timeout, it means only 3 seconds runs off the clock on their next play.

But if they hadn't called the TO the clock stops 3 seconds later. Then Philly runs a play and they can use the timeout at that point to prevent 40 seconds running off.

Instead they only got a stop at 1:55, then couldn't stop the clock again.

Calling the timeout saved 3 seconds.

But if they hadn't called the TO the clock stops 3 seconds later. Then Philly runs a play and they can use the timeout at that point to prevent 40 seconds running off.

Instead they only got a stop at 1:55, then couldn't stop the clock again.

Calling the timeout saved 3 seconds.

Yeah it's pretty much clock management 101.

The real killer was the first timeout they called on third down the previous Eagles drive where Philly ended up converting anyway.

Calling the timeout before the 2 minute warning is the smart thing. You force them to run another play *before* the 2 minute warning instead of running it *after*.

The damage (fumble) was already done.

2:03 with one TO left has usually been an eternity for Brady.

By my not-quite atomic-clock calculations, the Pats would've had about an extra ten seconds had Bill saved his time-out until after the 2-minute warning.

1st down @ 2:09

2nd down @ 2:00

3rd down @ 1:55 (approx)

4th down FG @ 1:15 (approx)

FG was made @ 1:05.

So to those claiming that Bill did the right thing: you're wrong, though not by as much as I first thought.

You would get a D- in clock management school.

By my not-quite atomic-clock calculations, the Pats would've had about an extra ten seconds had Bill saved his time-out until after the 2-minute warning.

So to those claiming that Bill did the right thing: you're wrong, though not by as much as I first thought.
you are adding a play.
If you don’t use the timeout 1st didn’t ends at 2:00.

Yeah it's pretty much clock management 101.

The real killer was the first timeout they called on third down the previous Eagles drive where Philly ended up converting anyway.

I know we would have liked to have that TO but it made sense at that time. It was 3rd & 6 with a realistic chance of getting the Eagles off the field. At that point it made absolute sense to call it to get out of a bad defensive formation.

Calling the first timeout on the Eagles drive was the real issue.

You’re up by 1 point. It makes no difference if you get them off the field or not on 3rd and very short. There’s still going to be plenty of time for the Eagles to get the ball again and connect on a field goal. You want to be prepared if they do. They weren’t.

Wasting a timeout there was idiocy, when everyone and their mother knew they would come into play down the road.

This is a team, by the way, who did everything they did last year in Super Bowl 51 and did so with two timeouts left heading into overtime....

But what actually happened was:
1st down 2:09
2nd down 2:03
3rd down 1:56 (because 2nd down took 7 seconds and clock stopped immediately after for the 2 minute warning)

So 3rd down happened at the same time as your hypothetical scenario [EDIT: your scenario would have had 3rd down starting at 1:53 if 7 seconds had run off after second down, so we saved 3 seconds by taking the timeout before the 2 minute warning].

The reason you take the timeout before the two minute warning is that if 2nd down takes less than seven seconds, then that's time you gain relative to the scenario you proposed.

That's how it works by the way, people generally learn this by age 14 if they pay attention while watching football.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people like you don’t have the first clue about clock management.

I really hated burnig the first to on 3rdand 6 to ‘gameplan’ the d. They weren’t stopping them anyways
With how they were steamrolling us, I was looking forward to the Eagles having big plays that got stopped in the red zone. Why? Just so we could preserve some time of possession.

The gameplan was absurd tonight. The Eagles had been thriving playing dink and dunk offense with Foles these past few weeks and our defense is all about forcing teams to play dink and dunk that don't want to. How we thought forcing the Eagles to do what their offense is built around would work is beyond me.

Beating this Eagles team is about rolling the dice and imposing one's will. Jailbreak blitzes to bash Foles into the ground. Chippy play and intimidation. Disguised coverages that make Foles choose to pass before having players slide across the field in atypical ways. After we saw that we weren't going to beat them playing our style, Matt Patricia needed to jettison the gameplan and start dialing up new looks. Instead, we just kept doing the same stupid thing.

Last edited:
From a pure 'save as much time as possible' perspective it makes all the sense in the world to call the time out at 2:03.

The ONLY reason to consider letting it go to 2 minutes is that it could alter Philly play calling. At 2:03 ANY play will result in an end at the two minutes warning, so the Ealges should have passed on this down when run would be the most likely option if the clock ran down to the 2 minute warning.

OK thanks everyone. Once the booze wore off I'm realizing I'm wrong here. Sorry for the long pointless thread. There are plenty of real things to be upset about in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back