PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Building The Patriots Big Board: QB's

Sign me up for Lamar Jackson in the 1st round please. Would love to get him at 23 but would happily trade up to the mid teens. Josh Rosen is my no 1 QB but we have no chance at him.

I agree too many lazy comparisons have been made for Lamar Jackson.

I don't think he's as fast as Vick 4.25 forty or, and he has a strong arm, a stronger arm. He might have slightly better agility and he's ahead of Vick in passing processing and concepts at this stage.

I think some comparisons can be made to Deshaun Watson, but they are still off because Deshaun's accuracy was better in college and he had 61% passing accuracy before he was injured.
Deshaun_Passing.jpg
Deshaun_rushing.jpg
Deshaun Watson College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
Deshaun Watson: Career Stats at NFL.com

There are also some interesting comparisons, and maybe a case study, for Lamar with the Tennessee Titans past few 1st round QB picks: Vince Young, Jake Locker, and Marcus Mariota.

Vince Young

Vince_passing.jpg
Vince_rushing.jpg
Vince Young College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
Vince Young | QB | Texas - NFL Combine Results
Vince Young: Career Stats at NFL.com

Jake Locker

Jake_passing.jpg
Jake_rushing.jpg
Jake Locker College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Jake Locker
Jake Locker: Career Stats at NFL.com

Marcus Mariota

Marcus_passing.jpg
Marcus_rushing.jpg
Marcus Mariota College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
2015 NFL Draft Profile: Marcus Mariota
Marcus Mariota: Career Stats at NFL.com

Since the draft is coming up, plenty of media sensationalism and recency bias is in play for many of the stories about this QB draft class. This draft has a deep pool of QB prospects ranging from very good to good, but not a great, standout individual talent imo.

Lamar is extremely talented and could thrive in the right system maximizing and utilizing his skills in a myriad of possibilities.

However, the sum of his talents are not unique to the NFL, and he has a sizeable accuracy and processing learning curve that must be taken into account when weighing decisions to invest 1st round draft capital in him.

Greg Cosell's article did a pretty balance exploration about Lamar's pros/cons as a draft prospect.

Greg Cosell's draft analysis: Lamar Jackson can execute an NFL passing game

QB Alejandro Bennifield could be a late round draft pick/UDFA for us.

Alejandro Bennifield | Chattanooga, QB : 2018 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Bennifield went to Knoxville on Monday and competed in Tennessee's. The former Mocs quarterback, who threw for 2,622 yards and 26 touchdowns as a junior before a suspension and an injury left him with only 15 snaps as a senior, ran a 4.8-second 40-yard dash Monday in Knoxville and threw well on both days.

"A lot of the scouts were impressed," Bennifield said. "The only thing I'm concerned about is impressing the guys that can possibly get me in the NFL. That's why everyone is here, hoping to get a foot in the door. No one here is a No. 1 pick, so we have a chip on our shoulder because we're behind."

Former Mocs do 'great job' at UTC football pro day [photos]

But Bennifield knows there would be at least mild NFL interest. A source told the Times Free Press that when New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick came to evaluate former Mocs Keionta Davis and Corey Levin prior to the 2017 NFL draft, he noted that he'd be coming back this year "for the thrower."

UTC Mocs' Alejandro Bennifield still has pro football aspirations

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back