PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Building The Patriots Big Board: QB's

I'll put this here to keep this thread alive as well, Im sure BGC won't mind. Id prefer one thread per position but it is what it is.

Here somewhat interesting pod with Dan Orlovsky breaking down QB class. Some interesting thoughts on why he doesn't see Pats going for Lamar (since he is being many people's favourite “2nd-tier“ here):

EX-PATS PODCAST: 12-year veteran QB Dan Orlovsky breaks down 2018 Draft quarterback class

quote:

“I just don't see McDaniels going: 'Im gonna change my whole offense for this guy. /.../ Since Josh is going to be there for a long term I don't see it. Because then you are asking from your coach whose greatest strength is play calling to change and take away his greatest strength..“

I'll put this here to keep this thread alive as well, Im sure BGC won't mind. Id prefer one thread per position but it is what it is.

Here somewhat interesting pod with Dan Orlovsky breaking down QB class. Some interesting thoughts on why he doesn't see Pats going for Lamar (since he is being many people's favourite “2nd-tier“ here):

EX-PATS PODCAST: 12-year veteran QB Dan Orlovsky breaks down 2018 Draft quarterback class

quote:

“I just don't see McDaniels going: 'Im gonna change my whole offense for this guy. /.../ Since Josh is going to be there for a long term I don't see it. Because then you are asking from your coach whose greatest strength is play calling to change and take away his greatest strength..“

Didn’t Josh change his offense for Tebow at Denver?

Didn’t Josh change his offense for Tebow at Denver?

Mike Lombardi brought up the point in a recent podcast that no matter who the Pat's draft they can't run the same offense that Tom runs. No one can.

He said they would tailor an offense around the QB's strengths.

He was definitely pumping Jackson.. so it could def be a diversion. But it made a lot of sense.

Interesting stat as we approach this draft with a QB need

While I'm sure this is true for McD (while a lot of teams, HC's & OC's would attempt to beat a round peg into a square hole), I think a significant problem may arise if the offense that best suits a rookie developmental prospect needs to be radically different from the offense that Tom runs - while Tom is still on the roster.

The offensive roster has been more or less built around "Tom's offense". The route concepts, sight adjustments, even the blocking scheme may need to be significantly altered to optimize a distinctly different QB "style" and skillset. Given the limits on practice reps, it could be difficult, not to mention confusing to the players, to thoroughly "teach" two different systems simultaneously.

While I'm sure this is true for McD (while a lot of teams, HC's & OC's would attempt to beat a round peg into a square hole), I think a significant problem may arise if the offense that best suits a rookie developmental prospect needs to be radically different from the offense that Tom runs - while Tom is still on the roster.

The offensive roster has been more or less built around "Tom's offense". The route concepts, sight adjustments, even the blocking scheme may need to be significantly altered to optimize a distinctly different QB "style" and skillset. Given the limits on practice reps, it could be difficult, not to mention confusing to the players, to thoroughly "teach" two different systems simultaneously.

In the short term, it would be easier for a rookie QB if his skillset could fit into our current offense with minimal adjustment to our scheme.

After Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield and Jackson, Mike White is the QB who I think the Patriots should target.

I agree with Mayock and have him closer to the top tier instead of Lauletta, and Nick Caserio personally attended WKU's pro day which could be a sign we're strongly considering drafting him.

My reservation with Lauletta, and Woodside to a lesser degree, stems from projecting his trajectory. I think he has a high floor but a low ceiling. When I watch him, he does many things well, but nothing that stands out and questionable arm strength. Lauletta would have the weakest arm strength from our past few QB selections. He's a safe pick who would probably be a good QB in this league, but not a superstar with a dominating presence to takeover a game.

Mike White, imo, has a floor that's equal to Lauletta but a much higher ceiling. Oddly Lauletta has gained all the attention with his Senior Bowl performance and the lacrosse/Navy connection with Belichick. While White also had a great Senior Bowl game, he has similarities closer to Brady with his baseball background, strong arm, and the best eye manipulation of all of the other QB prospects.

Matt Waldman did a fantastic video on White's eye manipulation and you also see this in other games with many of his passes.

After the Alabama game in 2016, which was his second start ever at WKU, White showed tremendous growth throughout the season with eye-popping numbers. White took a hit in scouts' eyes this past year with his performance, but his numbers were still great and nearly the same as last year's stats.

The big difference was the loss of Forrest Lamp and a terrible O-line; a non-existent running game (WKU ranked dead last in FBS rushing offense) and a big decline in playcalling from Jeff Brohm's offense to Mike Sanford's.

He carried WKU to a .500 regular season record and a bowl game with not much help.

And when projecting him, White with our team talent and Josh's playcalling would probably thrive and have performance levels/seasons closer to his 2016 season rather than his Sr. year which was still good in a season with many disadvantages.

Last edited:
Mike Lombardi brought up the point in a recent podcast that no matter who the Pat's draft they can't run the same offense that Tom runs. No one can.

What exactly does that mean?

For all practical purposes, Garoppolo and Cassel were running what was Brady's offense. Yeah, it wasn't identical, but it was still recognizable.

Yeah I heard that. Makes no sense! They traded away someone possibly better in Jimmy G so if they believe Brady when he says he can play until he's 45 than why would they be worried about replacing him next season? Same reason I don't think they'll be taking a WR with their 1st night picks. They could've kept Cooks or Amendola but chose not to. It's going to most likely be someone on the frontline of either side of the ball.

Some more tape analysis on White's development here by Schofield . not big sample as one would hope for but still somewhat useful:

In the short term, it would be easier for a rookie QB if his skillset could fit into our current offense with minimal adjustment to our scheme.

After Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield and Jackson, Mike White is the QB who I think the Patriots should target.

I agree with Mayock and have him closer to the top tier instead of Lauletta, and Nick Caserio personally attended WKU's pro day which could be a sign we're strongly considering drafting him.

My reservation with Lauletta, and Woodside to a lesser degree, stems from projecting his trajectory. I think he has a high floor but a low ceiling. When I watch him, he does many things well, but nothing that stands out and questionable arm strength. Lauletta would have the weakest arm strength from our past few QB selections. He's a safe pick who would probably be a good QB in this league, but not a superstar with a dominating presence to takeover a game.

Mike White, imo, has a floor that's equal to Lauletta but a much higher ceiling. Oddly Lauletta has gained all the attention with his Senior Bowl performance and the lacrosse/Navy connection with Belichick. While White also had a great Senior Bowl game, he has similarities closer to Brady with his baseball background, strong arm, and the best eye manipulation of all of the other QB prospects.

Matt Waldman did a fantastic video on White's eye manipulation and you also see this in other games with many of his passes.

After the Alabama game in 2016, which was his second start ever at WKU, White showed tremendous growth throughout the season with eye-popping numbers. White took a hit in scouts' eyes this past year with his performance, but his numbers were still great and nearly the same as last year's stats.

The big difference was the loss of Forrest Lamp and a terrible O-line; a non-existent running game (WKU ranked dead last in FBS rushing offense) and a big decline in playcalling from Brian Brohm's offense to Mike Sanford's.

He carried WKU to a .500 regular season record and a bowl game with not much help.

And when projecting him, White with our team talent and Josh's playcalling would probably thrive and have performance levels/seasons closer to his 2016 season rather than his Sr. year which was still good in a season with many disadvantages.

Im warming up to him the more film I see.

I do not know why people are so in love with Lamar Jackson. Watching tape on him...
-He only looks for his primary receiver, if hes not open, he takes off.
-Doesn't step into his throws
-Doesn't move around the pocket.

I hope we dont draft him.

It's Casserly, so make of this what you will:

I do not know why people are so in love with Lamar Jackson. Watching tape on him...

Every thing single here is false. You nailed hitting "Post Reply" though.

j/k btw

Last edited:
Really thorough breakdown of numbers. Interesting read.

Lamar Jackson is a special talent. He's not as refined as Deshuan Watson but look at what Watson done to us, he went toe to toe with the GOAT.

Don't understand the primary receiver thing, as their are parts in his game where its built around the RPO, so that could be why. The other thing is the Playbook he had in college has a lot of patterns of the patriots play calling.

There's tape of him selling safteys with his eyes and dropping bombs to his receivers, in one throw it was Brady like.

Jackson has a stupid amount of power in the flick of da wrist, his mechanics are sound from what i can see.

Jackson's biggest issue is his footwork, but that can be worked out and sorted, and that solves two of the three issues you have highlighted, there is no a QB in this Draft with the footwork like Brady and Co. It takes time to develop this.

He's not going to be starting until Brady hangs them up. He's going to learn off Brady and Josh McDaniels.. Which is one of the greatest duo's that has ever happened.

Slightly different note...

No one will be able to run this offensive playbook that Brady has. Anyone who thinks Jackson will have the same as Brady is deluded, they are not similar in any shape.

Lamar Jackson will have a Offensive Game plan built around what he's good at. He's polar opposite of what Brady is.

If Jackson is there, and looks like we can pick him up for the 23rd Pick it's going to be hard to say no, depending what the board is looking like.

Lamar Jackson could be very very special for us.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back