PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Building the Patriots Big Board: Offensive Line

What position do you project Dawkins to?
From Day 1, Dawkins is our #6 Olman, a game-day active, plays STs, is the top backup at both Left-side positions, and will continue to take practice snaps at (in descending order) LT, LG, RG, RT. His arms are long enough to continue the possibility that he can eventually start at LT should anything happen to Solder.

Having All - or, truthfully, any - of Adrian theWaddle, Carnival Barker, Mongo Junior Junior, Chase Farris & Cam Phlegming as The Franchise's backup OLmen is simply Unacceptable. Jamil Douglas could earn the Swing Guard position if he applies his talent; I wouldn't give you a wooden nickle for the rest of them. We really, really need to come out of this draft with at least 2 legitimate OL prospects, including at LT, if we don't wish to see 2015 revisited in 2017.

Last edited:
from Day 1, Dawkins is our #6 Olman, a game-day active, plays STs, is the top backup at both Left-side positions, and will continue to take practice snaps at (in descending order) LT, LG, RG, RT. His arms are long enough to continue the possibility that he can eventually start at LT should anything happen to Solder.

Having All - or, truthfully, any - of Adrian theWaddle, Carnival Barker, Mongo Junior Junior, Chase Farris & Cam Phlegming as The Franchise's backup OLmen is simply Unacceptable. Jamil Douglas could earn the Swing Guard position if he applies his talent; I wouldn't give you a wooden nickle for the rest of them. We really, really need to come out of this draft with at least 2 legitimate OL prospects, including at LT, if we don't wish to see 2015 revisited in 2017.

Can I just say that these nicknames are my favorite part of this post??

I kind of agree with this.

Solder is UFA in 2018 and Andrews is RFA, so those are reasons enough to re-stock this year for the future.

For the 2017 season, I think the line would be diminished, but still "okay" with Fleming for a short while, and maybe even with Waddle, now that he's had a full season with Scar. Both at least have "live fire" NFL experience.

I have no idea whether Karras is developing or not after one year. Chase Farris (2016 rookie on the PS) is kind of in the same boat as Karras.

Chris Barker has used up all his allowed PS/scout team time, I think, so he's almost certainly gone. Douglas has been on the PS/scout team two years now (?), but there's no way to know if he's ready to "graduate" this season or if he's destined to be scout team only.

So, yeah, although I still think that DE and even LB are higher priorities, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Pats grab an OT in their first three picks, and then scoop up some more interior OL prospects with the #200 or #239 and on "Day-4" (if only to re-stock the scout team). Scar has done pretty well over the years with UDFA interior OL.

It was reported multiple times that BB&Dante love Karras.

Keeping only 8 OL throughout the season - including two rookies - after the OL waterloo the previous year - while cutting Kline and Cooper - speaks volumes about what they think of Karras and also Fleming (despite not signing him on a long-term yet, which was slightly disappointing but hopefully they can get it done during the season like with Cannon).

Great and also honest article about troubles in OL scouting and transfer to NFL by Geoff Schwartz:
The secret to picking a great offensive lineman in the NFL draft

The key to drafting linemen is to look for techniques that translate to the NFL, rather than fawning over the physical traits of a particular lineman who has unfixable issues.
__

Lombardi is coming back to this frequently. So it might not be so much about the weakness of this class - but the class weakness - meaning college football just not producing NFL OLs anymore - so NFL teams have to make them themselves. Hence also big money to JAGs etc. This further enhances the importance of Dante's comeback - and puts Pats in a driving seat taking OL despite low picks. I wouldn't be surprised at all if 1st pick (or even trade up) goes to OL - in case Davenport (who seems to be among biggest climbers at the moment) is the choice.

Another nugget from Lombardi to put OL draft in perspective:
There's not much difference between LT and RT in today's NFL anymore. So even if it seems Pats need backup and future insurance at LT the most it doesn't mean college LTs are priority..

more @: (for OL discussion go to in 19:00)

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back