PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Building the Patriots Big Board: Offensive Line

I completely agree with your takes on Dion Dawkins & Ethan Pocic. If by some miracle Dawkins is still available at 72, I would take him ahead of Anybody Else likely to be available there not named Jordan Willis, who I suspect will be very long gone by then.

And don't forget about Harvard LT Max Rich. It wouldn't surprise to see him drafted sooner - much sooner - than we expect.

Last edited:
If I could suggest one name: Kofi Amichia is criminally underrated. He will be a top 5 OG for me when I finish my rankings. Highly recommend watching his games, although he lines up at OT and would have to move inside. What I love is that he climbs from block to block on the move, and he's never content with just hitting one guy. He's always sprinting downfield with the RB or on WR screens. Watch Marlon Mack's big runs, and #75 ends up in the screen more often than not. Supremely athletic and always looking for work. My kind of player.

34" arms
10 1/2 hands

Height: 6035
Weight: 302
40 Yrd Dash: 4.99
20 Yrd Dash: 2.82
10 Yrd Dash: 1.74
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 32
Vertical Jump: 33 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'06"

Last edited:
Nice find. He has the dimensions and athletic ability to make an excellent left-side backup at both LG and LT, which is what we are absolutely desperate for.

I don't think people understand just how completely fecked we would be if ANY of our starting 5 were to miss significant playing time. Our backups (with the potential exception of Jamil Douglas) are garbage.

Nice find. He has the dimensions and athletic ability to make an excellent left-side backup at both LG and LT, which is what we are absolutely desperate for.

I don't think people understand just how completely fecked we would be if ANY of our starting 5 were to miss significant playing time. Our backups (with the potential exception of Jamil Douglas) are garbage.

I kind of agree with this.

Solder is UFA in 2018 and Andrews is RFA, so those are reasons enough to re-stock this year for the future.

For the 2017 season, I think the line would be diminished, but still "okay" with Fleming for a short while, and maybe even with Waddle, now that he's had a full season with Scar. Both at least have "live fire" NFL experience.

I have no idea whether Karras is developing or not after one year. Chase Farris (2016 rookie on the PS) is kind of in the same boat as Karras.

Chris Barker has used up all his allowed PS/scout team time, I think, so he's almost certainly gone. Douglas has been on the PS/scout team two years now (?), but there's no way to know if he's ready to "graduate" this season or if he's destined to be scout team only.

So, yeah, although I still think that DE and even LB are higher priorities, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Pats grab an OT in their first three picks, and then scoop up some more interior OL prospects with the #200 or #239 and on "Day-4" (if only to re-stock the scout team). Scar has done pretty well over the years with UDFA interior OL.

For the late night crowd, here is the final offensive breakdown in the series. Also, I want to give a shout out to Ian Logue for helping get the website back up and running. He really saved me.

Building The Patriots Big Board: Offensive Line | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2017 NFL Draft

Thanks for the info.

Now, for my question.

Why do you consider the interior line to have a LOW priority?

We have 5 positions. We have Thuney, Mason, and Andrews as starters. I suspect that some wouldn't have been surprised if we brought in a FA upgrade at center. This group of three is acceptable, IMO only because Thuney is so good.

OUR BACKUPS (we need two for the roster)
Karras
Barker
Douglas

Thanks for the info.

Now, for my question.

Why do you consider the interior line to have a LOW priority?

We have 5 positions. We have Thuney, Mason, and Andrews as starters. I suspect that some wouldn't have been surprised if we brought in a FA upgrade at center. This group of three is acceptable, IMO only because Thuney is so good.

OUR BACKUPS (we need two for the roster)
Karras
Barker
Douglas
To be honest, I don't think interior line is ever a high priority. I have seen this coaching staff plug in guys in the middle and have success. The starters seem set and I like the backups, so I don't necessarily see it as a big need when the team is already limited with its number of draft picks. If someone falls, there are guys I would certainly want them to take, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get one.

I totally agree that OL depth is the one major weakness on the team, but it's a lousy year to be looking. It's not just the weak draft class, it's the crazy money that's been thrown at JAG free agents. (The two are presumably related.)

I totally agree that OL depth is the one major weakness on the team, but it's a lousy year to be looking. It's not just the weak draft class, it's the crazy money that's been thrown at JAG free agents. (The two are presumably related.)

Now watch the Pats take the one OL out of this lousy draft class who becomes a 5-year starter.

Just wanted to say thanks on this! I was sorely lacking an OL binky, and Amichia is rapidly rising to fill the bill.

No problem! Offensive Line

I've got all kinds of binkies available. Whatcha lookin for? I'll find the perfect fit.

Trust-Me-724x1024.jpg

Dion Dawkins!

Possibly.

IIRC, Dawkins worked in a power/man/gap blocking scheme in college. The Pats play mostly zone. I'm not saying that he can't make the transition or wouldn't fit eventually, just that it would likely add another complication into his learning the offensive playbook (lots of things to un-learn first) and further delay his ability to contribute - which often takes about a season anyway.

So, if the Pats are truly desperate for relatively immediate IOL upgrades or backup help, they might be looking for prospects who have already played a lot of zone in college.

OTOH, not all power schemes are night-and-day different from zone schemes. There's some overlap in basic principles and some college teams play a bit of a mix, depending perhaps on how much they run the option, what their QB's and RB's capabilities are, etc.

But that level of detail about prospects is rarely included in the "scouting reports" that we, as fans, get to read. Most of those focus a lot more on measureables, productivity, level of competition and impressions of "talent", etc., and often don't give much thought to the time frame of a prospect's potential future learning curve.

Then, too, it's possible that Scar knows Dawkins from previous seasons' study and believes that he's extremely coachable and a quick-learner, but I have no way of knowing that.

Might all be a moot point, since I've seen Dawkins mostly projected to be selected by the mid 2nd round.

Sorry, Cap'n, but Dion Dawkins will be long gone by the time we naturally draft. I'm guessing second round.

But here's a name to remember for the fourth: Corey Levin.
Corey Levin, OG, Chattanooga

I'm always in favor of more Jews on the Patriots. Whether or not this is the case, I don't know. But the jersey will be sweet. I'd buy a "Levin" on the Patriots jersey in a heartbeat.

Too bad it's not a Levine. Then I'd be _really_ excited. :)

But here's a name to remember for the fourth: Corey Levin.
Corey Levin, OG, Chattanooga

I'm always in favor of more Jews on the Patriots. Whether or not this is the case, I don't know. But the jersey will be sweet.

I like Levin too, and not just in a MOT way. He's one of several small-school interior OL prospects I'd like to introduce to Dante (Cam Keizur is another).

It's tempting to enter the draft contest this year with an FBS-free slate, or at least no power five conferences.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back