PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Building my Patriots Big Board: Linebackers and Edge Players

midwestpatsfan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I was big on Perry, but the more I watched him, the more he seems to have poor intstinct/awareness

I love the 4 OLBs in the 6th/7th round.
Weatherley is at the top of my list for DEs who could realistically be available in the 6th round.
Fatten him up during TC; he has the frame to handle another dozen pounds eventually, the result of which would be about 280#, heavier than Ch Jones with competitive wingspans (Weatherley = 34-1/2").

I would take both DeVondre Campbell and Antwoine Williams (in that order) ahead of Terrance Smith in the 6th round, though I would be happy to take Smith in the 7th if neither of the above are brought-aboard by then.

I haven't spent a lot of time on either group this year. Fairly uninspiring bunch and not a lot of need.

Maybe not a Lot of need, but with one of the 6th/7th-rounders I would also really like to upgrade from Jonny Freeny, who's just not really any good at all.

Maybe not a Lot of need, but with one of the 6th/7th-rounders I would also really like to upgrade from Jonny Freeny, who's just not really any good at all.

How about replacing him with another Freeny? I'm growing quite partial to Travis Freeny's game. Situational player for sure, but how can Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack be rated as 1st rounders for their coverage and pass rush, but Travis Freeny, who is bigger and faster and actually played safety, is somehow a 6th rounder? Yes, they all have injury concerns, but give me Freeny in the 6th and call it a day.

Unless you simply ASSUME that Collins and Hightower will sign longterm contracts, there is indeed need at LB.

How about replacing him with another Freeny? I'm growing quite partial to Travis Freeny's game. Situational player for sure, but how can Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack be rated as 1st rounders for their coverage and pass rush, but Travis Freeny, who is bigger and faster and actually played safety, is somehow a 6th rounder? Yes, they all have injury concerns, but give me Freeny in the 6th and call it a day.

I'll take a wild stab at this.......Feeny won't last as a pro because "He has undergone four shoulder surgeries over his collegiate career, twice tearing the labrum in his left shoulder and once the right, as well."

Unless you simply ASSUME that Collins and Hightower will sign long-term contracts, there is indeed need at LB.

I didn't claim that there is no need; in fact I claimed that there is more need than Manx, in that particular post, assigned it.
Like he, I also don't ascribe a Day 2 need to it; maybe not even early Day 3.
I want to save the Day 2 picks for OL, DL & RB; and the early Day 3 picks for CB, WR & more OL.
Exceptions would be made, of course, on a case-by-case basis.

Last edited:
I'll take a wild stab at this.......Feeny won't last as a pro because "He has undergone four shoulder surgeries over his collegiate career, twice tearing the labrum in his left shoulder and once the right, as well."
That's why his value lies in the 6th round instead of the borderline top-100 if he had not been injured.
I prefer DeVondre Campbell & Antoine Williams to Feeney in the 6th round anyway.

Last edited:
I'm just not that worried about linebacker this year with Hightower, Collins and Mcclellin. I realise that it's early, but the 2017 class looks potentially very interesting:

Kendall Beckwith, LSU
Reuben Foster, Alabama
Jarrad Davis, Florida
Skai Moore, S Carolina
Jalen Reeves-Maybin, Tennessee

And that's just the SEC.

Just to add, the RB, CB, EDGE and TE 2017 classes also look to be pretty good at this early stage. Usual disclaimers apply.

Last edited:

Right, which is why I compared him to Jaylon Smith, who also has injury concerns from which he may never recover.

Right, which is why I compared him to Jaylon Smith, who also has injury concerns from which he may never recover.

One injury versus many......I actually like Smiths chances to contribute over the long haul.....feeny seems like he's already beaten to a pulp with 2 chronic shoulders

I'm just not that worried about linebacker this year with Hightower, Collins and Mcclellin. I realise that it's early, but the 2017 class looks potentially very interesting:

Kendall Beckwith, LSU
Reuben Foster, Alabama
Jarrad Davis, Florida
Skai Moore, S Carolina
Jalen Reeves-Maybin, Tennessee

And that's just the SEC.

Just to add, the RB, CB, EDGE and TE 2017 classes also look to be pretty good at this early stage. Usual disclaimers apply.

I hear what you're saying, but what we don't know about is the status of contract negotiations with Hightower and Collins, if they've even happened at all. Remember the Ron Brace pick in 2009, which seemed like insurance against Wilfork leaving. And the Solder pick was also a year in advance of Light retiring, which they knew about but we didn't at the time.

If they already know (or are strongly afraid that) they're not going to have 1 or 2 of them in 2017, would they be comfortable with a crew of McClellin and rookies? It's such a crucial position in Belichick's defense, I'm really not so sure. I haven't had the time to make my official contest selections yet, but I have a sneaky gut feeling that Josh Perry could be the pick at 60/61 if he's available. Seems to have all the intangibles that the Pats look for (team captain, versatility, 100% effort, Urban Meyer guy), and is capable of backing up both Hightower and Collins and replacing one of them in 2017 (with varying degrees of success). In some ways he could be the direct Mayo replacement, both in terms of role and attitude (with McClellin being an Ayers'-type replacement).

One injury versus many......I actually like Smiths chances to contribute over the long haul.....feeny seems like he's already beaten to a pulp with 2 chronic shoulders

Just heard Dane Brugler say that "it's less than 50/50 that Jaylon Smith ever plays again". Said he wouldn't take him until the 6th/7th round.

I hear what you're saying, but what we don't know about is the status of contract negotiations with Hightower and Collins, if they've even happened at all. Remember the Ron Brace pick in 2009, which seemed like insurance against Wilfork leaving. And the Solder pick was also a year in advance of Light retiring, which they knew about but we didn't at the time.

If they already know (or are strongly afraid that) they're not going to have 1 or 2 of them in 2017, would they be comfortable with a crew of McClellin and rookies? It's such a crucial position in Belichick's defense, I'm really not so sure. I haven't had the time to make my official contest selections yet, but I have a sneaky gut feeling that Josh Perry could be the pick at 60/61 if he's available. Seems to have all the intangibles that the Pats look for (team captain, versatility, 100% effort, Urban Meyer guy), and is capable of backing up both Hightower and Collins and replacing one of them in 2017 (with varying degrees of success). In some ways he could be the direct Mayo replacement, both in terms of role and attitude (with McClellin being an Ayers'-type replacement).

It tells me something that the Pats have seemed to do almost no pre-draft work with non-outside linebackers that we know of.

Personally I don't like this linebacker group. Perry is tolerable and Jordan Jenkins could be a conversion guy and I like Steven Daniels as a pure run stopper but aside from that, I'm not a fan of the fits for linebacker. I think, at the very least, we'll resign one of Hightower/Collins and if needs be could sign a FA agent next year or look at LB with one of the first two picks in next years draft.

Last edited:
Just heard Dane Brugler say that "it's less than 50/50 that Jaylon Smith ever plays again". Said he wouldn't take him until the 6th/7th round.

Really? That is worse than i thought. I knew he was done for this year but damn that sucks. Also even if he ever plays it seems unsure if he will be what he was. Even if he is could just get re injured if it is that bad.

We have a lot of picks in the 6-7 so no reason not to take a shot but no way i pick him before then now.

Really? That is worse than i thought. I knew he was done for this year but damn that sucks. Also even if he ever plays it seems unsure if he will be what he was. Even if he is could just get re injured if it is that bad.

We have a lot of picks in the 6-7 so no reason not to take a shot but no way i pick him before then now.

Yup. His game is built upon speed, quickness and converting speed to power. That doesn't seem conducive to the type of injury he has.

Yup. His game is built upon speed, quickness and converting speed to power. That doesn't seem conducive to the type of injury he has.

Feenys game is based on hitting....hence the shoulders due to the meek frame

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back