PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bryce Young refuses to weigh in at his pro day

rochrist

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I’ve got the opposite issue when hiding my weight…
skinny GIF

Doug Flutie was 5' 10", 180 lbs. Of course, he wasn't considered to be in contention for the number 1 pick in the draft.

I have a feeling Bryce Young will be a 1st round pick but not the #1 overall because of those size concerns. Can he take the beating of a full NFL season? Very talented kid but I have my doubts.

So the small, scrawning kid couldn't beat out the slightly bigger pudgy kid at Alabama in 2020.

Doug Flutie was 5' 10", 180 lbs. Of course, he wasn't considered to be in contention for the number 1 pick in the draft.

And he was a marginal starter. But it was a different NFL back then.

But Kyler Murray has shown that very short, athletic QBs could have a very short shelf life. But I don't know Young's video game habits. So Murray might not be a good comp.

And he was a marginal starter. But it was a different NFL back then.

But Kyler Murray has shown that very short, athletic QBs could have a very short shelf life. But I don't know Young's video game habits. So Murray might not be a good comp.
Tua is slightly larger than Young, 6-1, 217 per pro football reference... he's been bashed to pieces over the last few years...

Tua is slightly larger than Young, 6-1, 217 per pro football reference... he's been bashed to pieces over the last few years...
None of those guys are worth their hype. I dunno about Young, but Tua & Murray - non merci.

Makes the Brady evaluation even more stupid. Beyond the fact that he was a proven winner, at a big school, with leadership and accuracy - he had the best ability of all : availability. Big guy, solid….

The people who cry about the draft - in this forum - has no idea how much of a crapshoot selections really are. It’s a minefield.

None of those guys are worth their hype. I dunno about Young, but Tua & Murray - non merci.

Makes the Brady evaluation even more stupid. Beyond the fact that he was a proven winner, at a big school, with leadership and accuracy - he had the best ability of all : availability. Big guy, solid….

The people who cry about the draft - in this forum - has no idea how much of a crapshoot selections really are. It’s a minefield.
It seems like it's so hard to determine durability. While conventional knowledge suggests the bigger guys are more durable, and in general that seems to be true more often than not, there are plenty of big QBs who end up being frail and small QBs who end up being durable enough. Brees was somewhat small but he held up well. Russell Wilson is even smaller but generally hasn't missed much time.

I bet he’s 5’ 9” at best. Which is my height but as far as I know no multi billion dollar sports franchise is looking to place all their hopes and dreams on my shoulders.

Tua has concussion issues. I am not sure how being taller makes you less prone to concussions.:maybenot:
Tua has suffered an injury that caused him to miss time every year since 2018 and only this past year was it his "back" being concussed. It's been his ankle/knees/finger/hands getting hurt. He's been pretty beat up.

I bet he’s 5’ 9” at best. Which is my height but as far as I know no multi billion dollar sports franchise is looking to place all their hopes and dreams on my shoulders.
Well, have you bothered asking?

Tua has concussion issues. I am not sure how being taller makes you less prone to concussions.:maybenot:
It's more about being slender than it is tall... His frame never really bulked out... He got tossed around on more than a few hits that left his head bouncing off the ground... Add to that all the lower leg injuries he's had which potentially slow him down.... At 6'1" he could easily carry 225 ... More strength, harder to tackle... Lbs and dbs can't tackle with abandon...

It's more about being slender than it is tall... His frame never really bulked out... He got tossed around on more than a few hits that left his head bouncing off the ground...
Also, he has no idea how to fall.

He was measured at the combine. 5’10⅛”, and an apparently questionable 204 pounds.

Being taller generally means you are heavier and stronger. Not always but generally. Concussions are related to acceleration and deceleration which is lower, with the same input, with a larger stronger mass.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back