PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns releasing Gary Barnidge

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was pretty good the last couple years in Cleveland, but he'll be 32 in September and he probably won't want to be the third man on the totem pole.

Yea I would, if he's got still we could rotate him and Allen or even run a 3 TE set

He was pretty good the last couple years in Cleveland, but he'll be 32 in September and he probably won't want to be the third man on the totem pole.

We could rotate him and Allen or even run a 3TE set or as insurance if no one wants him

Not enough roster space for him.

I hope that Bill is all over this one. He reminds me of Travis Kelce lite. Not at Gronk's level, but an excellent 2nd/3rd TE to have on the roster. The roster would basically be TE1 Gronk, and TE2A Allen, TE2b Barnidge.

I'm surprised that the Browns didn't try to trade him for at least a 6th or 7th or something. The smart thing would have to have kept him for 2-TE sets, but hey, it's the Browns.

Played well against the Pats. It's up to you, BB, but I'm not going to stand in your way.

We could rotate him and Allen or even run a 3TE set or as insurance if no one wants him

Sure, but someone's going to want him as something more than injury insurance and will probably be willing to pay him like it. The Patriots are better off investing in a rookie for a third tight end, or else keeping Lengel or Williams.

With Gronk and Allen a/k/a the Swarovski twins?

Hell, this team's putative TE3 could be the starting TE by week one.

Then it's Lengel Time!!!!!!

...words I wish not to hear outside of exhibition season.

I rather give a rookie a chance. The draft is FILLED with good prospects and only 2 were picked so far.

If he's willing to compete (which i doubt), then ok

I think Gary could still compete for a #1 TE spot somewhere. Why would we come here to likely be the #3 TE?

I have no way of knowing how Barnidge would feel about it, but he certainly could be useful as a #3/rotational TE for the Pats, as long as he can block decently enough.

Hard to know how much in demand he'd be at age 32 with so many (supposedly) very good young TEs coming into the league from this draft class. He was due to earn $3.3M + $1M roster bonus with the Browns in 2018. Hard to imagine teams offering him much more than half that.

Anyway ...

6055/243+, 4.65/40, 31" vert, 6.92 3-cone (at the 2008 Combine).

Caught 18 of 37 targets for 320 yards and 1 TD in four years with Carolina
(< 1 tgt/game).

Caught 160 of 250 targets (64%) for 1938 yards and 13 TDs in four years with the Browns (about 4 tgts/game).

Turns 32 on Sept. 22nd. Even so, he still seems like decent competition for the #3 TE spot.
... He caught 55 of 82 (67%) for 612 yards and 2 TDs in 2016.
... Bennett caught 55/73 (73%) for 701 yards and 7 TDs for the Pats in 2016.

Not enough roster space for him.

The Pats have 25 spots on the 90-man roster to fill for the summer through Camp.

The Pats could carry 3 TEs on the 53-man, like last season.

Besides Gronk and Allen, the Pats currently have only Lengel, Williams (just off IR) and Housler (recently returned from Jupiter or wherever the heck he went for a couple years there). It's not as if there's no possible way that Barnidge outplays these guys in Camp.

It's not a fit at all. And why the hell would someone like Barnidge agree to come here to be a third tight end? He can probably be the #1 TE on a crappy team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3