PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bring in competition at Kicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no koolaid.

He is one of the best kickers of all time. He has a new guy doing the holding that clearly affected the timing as is obvious if you just watch the operation. They will figure it out, we will keep winning and that is all that matters.

He has been a solid kicker - but he has never been known as a clutch kicker like Vinatari.

Maybe your right... but we both know that Belichick does not keep players based on performance from prior years.

If a change is needed.... he will make it.

In Bill we trust...

How many turnovers did Brady have in those two games again ?

Even the greatest of the great QBs have their turnovers. When kickers begin missing what amounts to a "lay up", multiple times over a short span, that's totally different.

He has been a solid kicker - but he has never been known as a clutch kicker like Vinatari.

Maybe your right... but we both know that Belichick does not keep players based on performance from prior years.

If a change is needed.... he will make it.

In Bill we trust...

For a while, he's been unfairly compared to Vinatieri's "clutchness" because he never got that late in the game moment in the playoffs like Adam did. Not until last year, and he made it, and we won the Super Bowl. As I said earlier, he's never missed a kick in the 4th quarter of a playoff game. (If I'm wrong on that, someone let me know)

Vinatieri became a legend with those first two Super Bowl runs. He went 13/17 in those 6 playoff games. He wasn't perfect either.

No excuses, he needs to play better. But we also have to face the reality that missed XPs are more common now. There's been 5 more today, not including Gostkowski. Will Lutz missed one, two weeks after making a 58 yard FG to win the game. So did Brandon McManus. Would you be opposed to either of those guys being on our team now?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the league average conversion on XPs in 2018 was roughly 95%. Forgive me, but I expect at least slightly above average from Gost. So, 97% maybe? He is at 78% conversion right now season-to-date. Granted, a small sample size, but he'd pretty much have to not miss anymore XPs this season to hit 97%. If he misses a couple more this season, he won't even be league average. I think we need to have at least an average kicker out there for crunch time moments. Preferably above average. He's got some work to do.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the league average conversion on XPs in 2018 was roughly 95%. Forgive me, but I expect at least slightly above average from Gost. So, 97% maybe? He is at 78% conversion right now season-to-date. Granted, a small sample size, but he'd pretty much have to not miss anymore XPs this season to hit 97%. If he misses a couple more this season, he won't even be league average. I think we need to have at least an average kicker out there for crunch time moments. Preferably above average. He's got some work to do.

That would be a waste of a roster spot but I do agree with you about our kicker missing kicks. Kickers aren’t comparable to many other positions. They have just one job.

Even the greatest of the great QBs have their turnovers. When kickers begin missing what amounts to a "lay up", multiple times over a short span, that's totally different.

Speaking of making excuses and ignorance. Calling 33 yard attempts "lay ups" is pretty absurd.

They changed a formality into a competitive play and it seems like some fans still have not caught up to that.

Even the best QBs will miss some passes or throw INTs, the best WRs have drops and even the best kickers like Ghost or Tucker will miss kicks or XPs.

That would be a waste of a roster spot but I do agree with you about our kicker missing kicks. Kickers aren’t comparable to many other positions. They have just one job.
Heavy duty analysis.

There you go. You made the point to end your post right there.

Did you happen to catch the Super Bowl last year?
I did when he missed one. I remember him missing two kicks as well against the Eagles in that Super Bowl. I also remember him potentially costing us a chance at another Super Bowl against the Broncos.

every time I see this thread title I want to rip the page out of my monitor, mark it up with red pen, and stuff it back in.

The player who kicks field goals is not the FG. It is the Kicker, abbreviated K. You may also call him the placekicker.

We don't hire new field goals.

This is wrong wrong wrong. Make it not say that.

Speaking of making excuses and ignorance. Calling 33 yard attempts "lay ups" is pretty absurd.

They changed a formality into a competitive play and it seems like some fans still have not caught up to that.

Even the best QBs will miss some passes or throw INTs, the best WRs have drops and even the best kickers like Ghost or Tucker will miss kicks or XPs.
Except Gostkowski is ****ing up much more than usual.

It is not that easy to just go out on the street and find a deopendable reliable clutch kisker who will be consistentlky dependable. If it were I would be all for finding him/her and replacing GHost. Truth is, Justin Tucker is not walking in the door any time soon during the season. Ghost si what we have and the key for the Patriots is to support him and help him get his confidence back.

Over the course of a long season, right now there is no one better than Ghost available to the Patriots.

I would venture to say the FG % on lay ups in the NBA is about 95% give or take. The XP is lay up. The 2019 version of the XP is a lay up. Any shot that someone is hitting at a 95% clip on average is a lay up.

There you go. You made the point to end your post right there.

No, you'll want to finish the post. The point was that he can't really miss any more XPs this year and still be a league average kicker. That's an issue. I hope he proves the doubters wrong and goes on that run. He's certainly shown in the past he is capable of that.

2 missed extra points and a missed fg.
Just go for 2 point conversions.
NFL Coaches Are Going For Two More Than Ever. (It Took Them Long Enough.)

If we can get the conversion rate to 47.5% or higher, I'd like to be the first team to always go for two unless we're in a situation where one point wins the game or puts it just beyond reach. So if we are up by 3 after a touchdown with one minute to play, then kicking the extra point is smarter than going for two.

If we can get our running game going, then we can maintain balance on offense in conversion situations. With such a dynamic offense and Ghost struggling on PATs, I can't see the reason not to go for two. What are people's thoughts? Is there any reason to continue kicking for points when two point conversions may yield a few extra points a game if we convert 50-60% of them?

Too late for that. Bring in competition from WHERE is the big question. Better for Gost to iron things out than to replace him with just anybody.

I've never kicked a football before. In theory, there should be plenty of thread left.

does BB regret moving the xp back now?

Why don’t you post his playoff stats ?
He cost us the AFC Championship against Denver a couple years ago & he almost cost us the Super Bowl vs Atlanta.

Because you're full of crap. He didn't cost us the AFC Championship against Denver and didn't almost cost us the SB against Atlanta. Gotta love when people are delusional about things.

Before you try to offer some ridiculous rebuttal about the Denver game, just remember that Vollmer was playing out of position and hurt. Cannon was playing hurt. Blount and Lewis were both on IR. Bolden, White, and Jackson did squat in the running game. Brady threw 2 interceptions. And Jamie Collins got burnt TWICE by Owen Daniels for TDs.. But, yeah.. Blame the loss on Gostkowski.. *SMH*

Furthermore, this was specifically about his kicking in MIAMI.. So why would I bring up Gostkowski's Play-off kicking? It's a red herring and has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

But, since you wanted the information, it's below.. Also, there is an old lawyer saying. Never ask a question you don't already know the answer to..

Check the percentages Einstein

I did. What's your excuse now?

Play-offs:
2006 - 8/8 FG 9/9 XP
2007 - 1/2 FG 9/9 XP
2009 - 0/1 FG 2/2 XP
2011 - 5/5 FG 10/10 XP
2012 - 4/4 FG 6/6 XP
2013 - 1/1 FG 6/6 XP
2014 - 1/1 FG 15/15 XP
2015* - 4/4 FG 3/4 XP
2016 - 7/7 FG 7/9 XP
2017 - 3/5 FG 11/12 XP
2018 - 5/6 FG 10/10 XP

TOTALS: 39/44 FG (88.6%) 88/92 XP (95.78%)

2015-2018: 19/22 FG (86.3%) 31/35 (88.6%)

2008 - Pats missed the Play-offs
2010 - Gostkowski missed the play-offs because he was on IR
2015 - The League moved extra points to the 15 yard line.

I would venture to say the FG % on lay ups in the NBA is about 95% give or take. The XP is lay up. The 2019 version of the XP is a lay up. Any shot that someone is hitting at a 95% clip on average is a lay up.

Could you please provide the actual FACT that XPs were hit at a 95% clip? Like post an actual LINK or do we have to rely on your heresay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes