PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bring Back Jacoby Brissette (?)

Brissette is a solid character guy and would be a great mentor for a rookie QB, ideally in the Brian Hoyer role. Whether he could serve as the bridge starter depends on how long he would need to play that role. If the Pats invest pick 3 on someone who will challenge for the starting role during his rookie year, Brissette would be great. If they wait until later to pick someone who will need a full red shirt season, I am not sure Brissette has the ability to help develop the other new weapons (hopefully) on offense.

If Brisette comes cheap on a short term deal, I don't see why not. He's a journeyman QB who has at least displayed some level of competence at the NFL level. That's a lot more than we can say about our QB room now.

The QB room is damaged. I feel like we need to clean house there and rebuild.

First step is to get rid of everyone in that room for whatever compensation you can get.

Then get Brisette + a rookie QB could be a good start to the rebuild.

7 potential free agent scheme fits for Patriots, Alex Van Pelt’s offense

Could he can be the "bridge" guy while a newly drafted rookie learns?
Mike Reiss alluded to that in a recent column, which makes sense given his relationship with Van Pelt, along with the fact his salary should be manageable compared to other free-agent quarterbacks.

I like Brissett and I think he would be a great addition. I also believe a veteran presence was certainly lacking last season and having one heading into this season would definitely be a good thing, especially during what will likely be a challenging transition season.

It depends. It sounds fine on paper, but Brissett is really a throw back prototype QB. He's big, not very mobile, like a drop back, one read and throw kind of guy.
If they want to move into the mobile QB mode, he may not be the best bridge. But of the limited options, he wouldn't be the worse.

Reactions: Ian

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back