PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bring back Damien Harris

Status
Not open for further replies.
or another WR like many of us wanted.

RB wasnt a need. The Pats bring in FA RBs and run by committee like no other team. Passing teams need WRs and TEs.

Not to mention a high round TE likely would have been a decent blocker and would have helped the running game.

The loss of good blocking from our TEs has been as precipitous as the loss of passing potency

I notice Sony doing a lot of dancing at the LOS ala Koolaid Maroney.

Just sayin.

He’s an average running back who doesn’t really excel in any area. He’s not fast, he doesn’t make people miss, he doesn’t break a ton of tackles, and he is useless as a pass catcher. I know saying that on this board gets everyone all worked up and gets you the standard “WE WOULDN'T HAVE WON THE SUPER BOWL WITHOUT HIM” response but it is what it is. He’s not a bad player but he definitely isn’t a first round RB. At this point I just hope he’s good enough to grind the clock down when we have a lead as I’m not really expecting anything special at this point.

claims like that are dumb because there’s no way to falsify them

We needed a TE badly to replace Gronk and took none. Instead we spent an early 2nd round pick on a CB who doesn't play behind the deepest CB squad in the NFL and we took another HB who got injured and likely would have seen very little playing time behind Michel/Burkhead/White. Mystifying moves indeed. It also doesn't help that our 1st round pick WR doesn't look good.

That would be a solid 0/3 in our first three picks of the draft?

We needed a TE badly to replace Gronk and took none.
The Patriots could have drafted the best available tight end with every single pick in this draft and they still wouldn’t have an adequate immediate Gronk replacement right now. That’s just not how the draft works.

Nobody is saying they could have gotten another Gronk through the draft. But it definitely could have been better than a 100 year old Watson and Matt freakign Lacosse!

The Patriots could have drafted the best available tight end with every single pick in this draft and they still wouldn’t have an adequate immediate Gronk replacement right now. That’s just not how the draft works.

Looking back, Knox is the only TE that would have helped much.

Anything in the first 4 rounds would have made sense, and likely would have helped the team.

Get used to LeCosse; he'll be here in 2020.

How dare he be injured!

Nobody is saying they could have gotten another Gronk through the draft. But it definitely could have been better than a 100 year old Watson and Matt freakign Lacosse!

We certainly could have drafted Smith and Knox instead of Williams and Harris. We'll see in a couple of years whether this would have been better. This isn't a matter of hindsight, just a matter of prioritizing TE highly and picking one when we had picks.

What was the point of this pick? They literally had no TE’s on the roster. WR’s were also weak. They had Michel, White and Burkhead. So when exactly was he going to play?

Guess you missed those months in 2015 when we had so many RBs that White was looking at being the odd guy out.

Blount, Bolden, Develin, White, Gray, Gaffney, Lewis, Cadet.

And then came the injuries.

Two things on Harris: One, James White didn't contribute much in his rookie season either, to the point where he was another Pats draft "bust" to some on here. His real coming out party wasn't until the Super Bowl against the Falcons.

Two, while need isn't a zero factor in draft evaluations, you can't draft a player expecting that they'll fill in a major role their first year (with the exception of maybe high first round picks). They're trying to find the players they think will fit the best, and that either fills a hole now, or helps fill one later if they fail to re-sign someone, there's an injury, etc.

That doesn't mean Harris will end up being a good pick, because ultimately that's up to how he develops. But drafting a player you like in a position of relative depth, is a better longterm strategy than taking a player you're not as high on trying to fill holes with rookies every year.

Harry was a bit of both for example, but you could see they hedged their bets on him with a LOT of veteran acquisitions. Even before Gordon was reinstated, they were trying guys like Inman, Harris (Mo), Thomas, etc. How that all shook out in the end is a debate that's raging on this board for all time I'm sure, but the point remains that, at the time, the Pats were not counting on Harry to be a first year star in this offense.

Hindsight is great. 8 tight ends were selected in the 1st 3 rounds of the draft. I'm sure everyone wishes we had T.J. Hockenson. His season stats? 32 receptions for 367 yds & 2 TDs. He's now on season-ending IR.

Dawson Knox was the 8th TE selected (96th overall). His stats? 25 receptions for 307 yds & 2 TDs. Of the 8 chosen, 4 have been or are still on IR.

None of these 8 picks is tearing up the league. None of these picks is a Gronk replacement. Gronk is not replaceable.

I can't wait to read about all the quarterbacks we should've picked to replace Brady. :)

I notice Sony doing a lot of dancing at the LOS ala Koolaid Maroney.

Just sayin.

amazing how close their numbers are over the first two years of their careers

Michel ran pretty well in the last game. He's looked good the last couple games, cutting with authority and driving piles. Weird time to get on his back, and I've hardly been a rah-rah supporter of the guy all season nor was I ever a defender of picking a running back at 31 last season. I still don't love the pick... from what I can see, he's a fine running back. The issue is that fine running backs are a dime a dozen in the NFL, and that even the difference between a fine NFL running back and a good one isn't nearly as important as a similar difference in quality for an offensive tackle or cornerback or wide receiver or whatever. These days, it's a running back's contribution in the passing game that matters more to their overall quality and Michel hasn't really proven himself there. But the Patriots also have the best receiving back in the league, so...

But he's not the problem, or really even a problem.

Michel ran pretty well in the last game. He's looked good the last couple games, cutting with authority and driving piles. Weird time to get on his back, and I've hardly been a rah-rah supporter of the guy all season nor was I ever a defender of picking a running back at 31 last season. I still don't love the pick... from what I can see, he's a fine running back. The issue is that fine running backs are a dime a dozen in the NFL, and that even the difference between a fine NFL running back and a good one isn't nearly as important as a similar difference in quality for an offensive tackle or cornerback or wide receiver or whatever. These days, it's a running back's contribution in the passing game that matters more to their overall quality and Michel hasn't really proven himself there. But the Patriots also have the best receiving back in the league, so...

But he's not the problem, or really even a problem.

Does anyone know why he was pretty much benched for the second half? Did he get hurt and we missed it?

Does anyone know why he was pretty much benched for the second half? Did he get hurt and we missed it?
because james white woke up?

Combination of two things I think: Team falling behind, and Houston putting an extra man in the box until our WR's proved they could win 1-on-1 (which they never did). I wish they'd stuck with it a bit more, but it stopped being a Michel type game fairly early on.

Its too early in their careers to say we should’ve taken Knox over Harris. Has Knox been head and shoulders better than Moreau, who was taken late day 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes