PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking: Gronk to Retire

This thread went pretty much how I assumed it would.

Seriously, some of you would be offended if Gronk retires to re-join WWE, then retires from that and doesn't thank the Patriots and their fans AGAIN. How many times do you need validation from grown men that you are, in fact, REALLY good fans?

Seriously, some of you would be offended if Gronk retires to re-join WWE, then retires from that and doesn't thank the Patriots and their fans AGAIN. How many times do you need validation from grown men that you are, in fact, REALLY good fans?
Some people are live vicariously through these athletes and take it to heart.

Some people are live vicariously through these athletes and take it to heart.

I'm a Red Sox fan, but I always found it funny/weird when other fans would get angry because a Sox player was laughing and joking with a Yankee on the field. It's like, dude, those guys have way more in common with each other than you do to the Red Sox players. They're competitive, but they don't hate each other. That would actually be insane.

Trolling level 10 boss mode.

If you really know ball-ball ... Gronk, Kittle, Kelce, Sharpe, Gonzo.
You know I respect your opinion a lot Bacon but I have to ask, are you really putting Kittle, Kelce, and Sharpe ahead of Tony G? That’s some strait up disrespect to the guy that started the whole TEs can catch the ball more then just as a trick play movement. Personally I have Tony G as my #1 TE if we are basing it on the career in its entirety. Same way I have Rice as my #1 WR. Both not as splashy or able to take over a game the way Gronk or Moss could but just insanely consistent for 15-20 years. That’s impressive too. Now if we are talking for one game? You bet I’m taking Moss and Gronk as they are more likely to go 6 for 150 and 2 TDs. Over a career though? i’ll take the 8 for 100 and a TD week in and week out And none of the other 3 you said have done it as often for as long as Tony.

John Hannah and Andre Tippet say hey.
I could argue Tippett and Gronkowski (Tippett probably edges Gronkowski out, but there's an argument to be made). Hannah was better.

This is almost as bad a take as the Fryar/Morgan were more talented than Moss/Welker. At least its not that ridiculous.
Wow thought you knew football a little better than this. Do I really have to break down to you all the things that a healthy prime Gronk does to a defense?
I love Rice watched his entire career. But Rice never impacted a game in anywhere near the ways Gronk did. He was never constantly double and triple teamed, opening mismatches all over the field for Brady. He dominated with his blocking alone. Rice was a great blocker- for a wr- but not even remotely in Gronks class.
Gronk made the running game go.
I've heard allpro des say no ol -no one- blocked better than Gronk.
Gronk was a te,wr and stud ot all rolled into one.
Belichick has said it himself- no nonqb offensive skill position player impacts a game as much as a great all-around te. Gronk was in a class by himself. The only guy even close at his peak was Bavaro- but Bavaro at his best was never as good as Gronk and injuries derailed his career much worse than they did Gronk's.

I’m one who took issue with Brady’s lack of acknowledgment of the Patriots in his “retirement” statement (although now knowing that whole deal was contrived and he never really intended to walk away this year, it makes a bit more sense as to why his “goodbye” was exclusive to the Bucs at that point in time).

At any rate, I don’t take issue with the lack of acknowledgment because I believe I deserve any personal credit for the teams’/players’ successes; I take issue with the lack of acknowledgment because those journeys were damn meaningful to me and we were all on that ride together. The playoff losses from 2005-2012 hurt like the hell. The agony of defeat, and finally the sweet catharsis when they beat Seattle (and the subsequent Super Bowl victories). Those were gut-wrenching, awesome, inspiring journeys that had us experience the highest of highs and lowest of lows one can feel while watching sports.

I don’t want the players to personally thank me for the outcome of their respective careers, but it sure would mean a lot to acknowledge and show appreciation for the folks who shared those seasons, journeys, and moments with the players; the folks who screamed their lungs out, sat in the elements, ice cold rain, snow and wind, who invested a ton of emotional energy rooting for the team and players, who paid hundreds (or thousands) of dollars to watch these legends play. Those guys were special to me; they were memorable parts of my adolescence and young adulthood.

Did I do anything to create the success the players achieved? No. Do I deserve personal credit for their careers? No. But when they retire from football, for real or not, whether it’s the first, second, third, or tenth time, would it sure feel nice to hear something like this?

“We realize the time we spent in New England meant a lot to a lot of people. Thank you, Patriots’ fans, for sharing that journey with us. We appreciate you all”.

Yes, 100%, absolutely, it would mean a lot (to me at least) to hear/read your sports idols say that (or something along those lines) when they publicly announce their retirement.

Last edited:
I’m one who took issue with Brady’s lack of acknowledgment of the Patriots in his “retirement” statement (although now knowing that whole deal was contrived and he never really intended to walk away this year, it makes a bit more sense as to why his “goodbye” was exclusive to the Bucs at that point in time).

At any rate, I don’t take issue with the lack of acknowledgment because I believe I deserve any personal credit for the teams’/players’ successes; I take issue with the lack of acknowledgment because those journeys were damn meaningful to me and we were all on that ride together. The playoff losses from 2005-2012 hurt like the hell. The agony of defeat, and finally the sweet catharsis when they beat Seattle (and the subsequent Super Bowl victories). Those were gut-wrenching, awesome, inspiring journeys that had me experience the highest of highs and lowest of lows one can feel while watching sports.

I don’t want the players to personally thank me for the outcomes of their respective careers, but it sure would mean a lot to acknowledge and show appreciation for the folks who shared those seasons, journeys, and moments with the players; the folks who screamed their lungs out, sat in the elements, ice cold rain, snow and wind, who paid hundreds (or thousands) of dollars to watch these legends play.

Those guys were special to me; they were memorable parts of my adolescence and young adulthood. Did I do anything to create the success the players achieved? No. Do I deserve personal credit for their respective careers? No.

But when they retire, for real or not, whether it’s the first, second, third, or tenth time, would it sure feel nice to hear something like, “We realize the time we spent in New England meant a lot to a lot of people. Thank you, Patriots’ fans, for sharing that journey with us. We appreciate you all”.

If wanting to hear that from your sports idols makes me an unreasonable person, then I don’t want to be a reasonable person.

So far Gronk has thanked the Bucs and Arizona State (and Julian Edelman) for their tributes....nothing on the Patriots yet.

His catch at the end of the Rams SB win was iconic. Godspeed, whatever you do you goofy frat boy.

So far Gronk has thanked the Bucs and Arizona State (and Julian Edelman) for their tributes....nothing on the Patriots yet.
Literally keeping score on this?

Wow thought you knew football a little better than this. Do I really have to break down to you all the things that a healthy prime Gronk does to a defense?
I love Rice watched his entire career. But Rice never impacted a game in anywhere near the ways Gronk did. He was never constantly double and triple teamed, opening mismatches all over the field for Brady. He dominated with his blocking alone. Rice was a great blocker- for a wr- but not even remotely in Gronks class.
Gronk made the running game go.
I've heard allpro des say no ol -no one- blocked better than Gronk.
Gronk was a te,wr and stud ot all rolled into one.
Belichick has said it himself- no nonqb offensive skill position player impacts a game as much as a great all-around te. Gronk was in a class by himself. The only guy even close at his peak was Bavaro- but Bavaro at his best was never as good as Gronk and injuries derailed his career much worse than they did Gronk's.
Whatever you say

Literally keeping score on this?

It's just courtesy to the organization and fans of NE...

BTW, are you the William Lee who posts in the PFT comments section?

No way the Pats go to 8 straight AFCCG's without him. We've seen what the Pats offense was like without him in the lineup. Aside from 2016, it was dreadful. And given the 10 year drought, how long does Tom stay in NE had they not had a super star player in Gronk?
I'm not questioning Gronk's contributions but I don't recall the offense being "dreadful" without him. Gronk missed a good portion of 2013 but that offense was relying on contributions from rookie receivers (Dobson, Boyce and Thompkins) who were not NFL caliber players. There also was no TE depth behind Gronk so when he went down there was literally no serviceable TE left on the roster. Brady had to salvage the season by throwing to his slot guys Edelman and Amendola. Somehow they still finished 3rd in scoring and 7th in yards but the limitations of that team fall squarely on Bill's poor roster construction.

After Gronk went down in 2016 they went undefeated for the remainder of the season. Their last 5 games (including 3 postseason) they averaged 36 points per game and of course pulled off that otherworldly comeback against Atlanta in the Super Bowl. The 2016 season proved they could still perform at a very high level and win without Gronk. That said, Gronk was still the second most valuable Patriot behind only Brady (2010-2018).

I'm not questioning Gronk's contributions but I don't recall the offense being "dreadful" without him. Gronk missed a good portion of 2013 but that offense was relying on contributions from rookie receivers (Dobson, Boyce and Thompkins) who were not NFL caliber players. There also was no TE depth behind Gronk so when he went down there was literally no serviceable TE left on the roster. Brady had to salvage the season by throwing to his slot guys Edelman and Amendola. Somehow they still finished 3rd in scoring and 7th in yards but the limitations of that team fall squarely on Bill's poor roster construction.

After Gronk went down in 2016 they went undefeated for the remainder of the season. Their last 5 games (including 3 postseason) they averaged 36 points per game and of course pulled off that otherworldly comeback against Atlanta in the Super Bowl. The 2016 season proved they could still perform at a very high level and win without Gronk. That said, Gronk was still the second most valuable Patriot behind only Brady (2010-2018).

Here we go with another Tommy is the Greatest Thread...

Look how badly the Pats struggled without a healthy Gronk in the Super Bowl against the Giants.

They couldn’t move the ball a year later against the Ravens in the AFCCG.

They had no shot against the Broncos in 2013 AFCCG.

They suddenly won a Super Bowl with a healthy Gronk.

Their offense ran through Gronk.
My original question was had the Pats not drafted Gronk, does Tom stay or Bill move on from him prior to the 2016 season?

Given what happened above without Gronk, I don’t think Tom is with the Pats in 2016.

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back