PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking down the Hail Mary Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnordcircle

The poster who James White said inspires him.
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So, some cool stuff I noticed when I rewatched the Hail Mary attempt to discuss it with someone.

Amendola is deliberately trailing the play. When Gronk is inside the 2 Amendola is at around the 10.
upload_2018-2-5_15-8-53.png

Dorsett looks for the ball and then moves across the field to the 2-3 yard line.
upload_2018-2-5_15-9-20.png

Amendola is not looking back for the ball. Amendola is watching for the ball to fall to Gronk.

When Gronk goes up he doesn't seem to be trying to catch the ball.

Amendola and Dorsett end up pretty much side by side on the 2 yard line.
upload_2018-2-5_15-10-7.png

So seems pretty obvious, Gronk was getting ready to basically swat the ball to Dorsett or Amendola who were in position to catch the volley from Gronk and run it in easy. Just didn't work out, but it's genius. The chances of Gronk catching the ball in a group of 5 Eagles is slim to none, but as the biggest guy on the field the chances of him swatting the ball to team mates is much higher. But yeah, just didn't work out.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-5_15-8-6.png
    upload_2018-2-5_15-8-6.png
    166.9 KB · Views: 3
So, some cool stuff I noticed when I rewatched the Hail Mary attempt to discuss it with someone.

Amendola is deliberately trailing the play. When Gronk is inside the 2 Amendola is at around the 10.
View attachment 19558

Dorsett looks for the ball and then moves across the field to the 2-3 yard line.
View attachment 19559

Amendola is not looking back for the ball. Amendola is watching for the ball to fall to Gronk.

View attachment 19560

So seems pretty obvious, Gronk was getting ready to basically swat the ball to Dorsett or Amendola who were in position to catch the volley from Gronk and run it in easy. Just didn't work out, but it's genius. The chances of Gronk catching the ball in a group of 5 Eagles is slim to none, but as the biggest guy on the field the chances of him swatting the ball to team mates is much higher. But yeah, just didn't work out.

View attachment 19558

View attachment 19559

View attachment 19560

I rewatched that scene about 20x yesterday right after the end of the game. It was not as close as 2011 but with a little bit more luck this could have worked out.

Those are the little things people dont notice because the attempt failed. But just by thinking through the situation and coming up with a plan they might have had a 20% higher chance of actually doing it.

I rewatched that scene about 20x yesterday right after the end of the game. It was not as close as 2011 but with a little bit more luck this could have worked out.

Those are the little things people dont notice because the attempt failed. But just by thinking through the situation and coming up with a plan they might have had a 20% higher chance of actually doing it.

I'm not a football expert, I know I'm out of my depth on X's and O's most of the time because I don't feel like putting in the time. I mean I'm a genius compared to your average fan but on this board I'm meh on my best days.

But seeing this actually made me feel better, in a weird way, because it's just an example of how much time they put into everything.

So of course they're going to see all the things that went wrong yesterday and work to address them.

Hogan also got interfered with later in the play, imo. But tbh I don't expect flags to be thrown in the endzone on a Hail Mary.

I'm annoyed he didn't get illegal contact down the field because he's well past 5 yards down the field when that GIF starts.

just a 5 yrd penalty but still

I'd have loved to have gotten a 2nd shot at the Hail Mary.

Shame that the drive started off the way it did, because if we had saved some of the time we lost on the KR and the first few plays who knows.

That KR attempt was definitely a Hail Mary attempt all its own. If it works we're all lauding their brilliance.

I'd have loved to have gotten a 2nd shot at the Hail Mary.

Shame that the drive started off the way it did, because if we had saved some of the time we lost on the KR and the first few plays who knows.

That KR attempt was definitely a Hail Mary attempt all its own. If it works we're all lauding their brilliance.

they should have tried the old Miami catch and pitch

Too bad Hogan was taken out of the play. Gronk was out there to swat the ball to a player. They needed as many Patriots around as possible. Should of been a penalty but I get it. Confetti flys pretty quick on assumed last play of game.

I'm not a football expert, I know I'm out of my depth on X's and O's most of the time because I don't feel like putting in the time. I mean I'm a genius compared to your average fan but on this board I'm meh on my best days.

But seeing this actually made me feel better, in a weird way, because it's just an example of how much time they put into everything.

So of course they're going to see all the things that went wrong yesterday and work to address them.

I think Dorsett could have actually caught the ball if the ball didnt bounce from Gronks helmet (?) right onto a hand of an Eagles player and then unfortunately into the endzone. The bounces of the ball were not on our side yesterday. Not with the strip and not on the hail mary.

Should’ve a twelve game suspension for the entire eagle defense. Five hundred million in fines and no draft picks ever

Damn....could you imagine if that had been caught? Would have been incredible.

Of course we still needed a 2 point conversion and OT, but still....

View attachment 19558

View attachment 19559

View attachment 19560

Good stuff Fnord. Interesting.

Well there’s one less rule change for the off season.

Almost everything is let go on Hail Mary attempts. Someone mentioned the Hogan takedown, but you'll also notice that Gronk gets away with a huge (and obvious) pushoff on his way down the field.

I think the key mess-up in the play is that Gronk mis-timed his jump.

It's the first thing I noticed and no one mentioned it. It's the one call I would complain about. How can a guy almost get decleated 30 yards downfield on one of the biggest plays of the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back