PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breakdown of Bennett's per-game use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and no. The scheme isn’t all 2 gap in every play. That’s one of my issues with Perry. He assumes when bennett one gaps that he isn’t playing the call but I see a lot of one chalking going on out there.

I would consider Allen and jones mobile QBs.
I think part of the change in philosophy we have seen this year is the idea that a ab can’t scramble if he is on his back. We have all out attacked in 3rd down. I think any player pass rushing to contain on those calls would be sitting on the bench.

The defense is drastically different in scheme and philosophy situationally this year. But it also has changed game to game.
It’s going to be fun to watch.

Imo all gaps are schemed to be covered. One gapping DL guys means an LB is responsible for the open lane for example. If a DL is expected to two gap so that the LB can do something else and he doesn't it's a problem. Not saying Bennett is doing that or not.

The defense has been more aggressive but not irresponsibly. They have a lock down secondary and pro bowl level LBs. It's unbelievable. So I agree that they're going after the QB aggressively I disagree that it's without containment.

You're right about Josh Allen he is a mobile QB. Maybe a good game to rewatch.

Good stuff.

Imo all gaps are schemed to be covered. One gapping DL guys means an LB is responsible for the open lane for example. If a DL is expected to two gap so that the LB can do something else and he doesn't it's a problem. Not saying Bennett is doing that or not.
Agreed. It you have 6 OL and a front 6 a 2 gal system has a defender “2 gapping” a blocker. In this case each defender is responsible for 2 gaps (either side of the blocker) and therefore every gap has 2 defenders covering it. (Except the edge)
When you one gap you only have one defender responsible for that gap but instead of engaging and reading he tries to blow through the gap. So the dL attacks 4 of the gaps and the LBs read and flow rather than engaging an OL.
We are doing A LOT more one gap than normal especially when we one gap one side and 2 gap the other (typically 2 gap strong 1 gap weak)

The defense has been more aggressive but not irresponsibly. They have a lock down secondary and pro bowl level LBs. It's unbelievable. So I agree that they're going after the QB aggressively I disagree that it's without containment.
i understand conceptually but when you watch (and I’m talking 3rd down here mostly) they are clearly attacking the QB not containing. There is a lot of stunting and freedom to beat your man however you want. As I said the philosophy is moving more toward a qb can’t scramble from his back than try to win but don’t risk a lane.

You're right about Josh Allen he is a mobile QB. Maybe a good game to rewatch.

Good stuff.
The other consideration is the OL. I think the approach also considers the likelihood a blitz has 2-3 rushers at the QB before he can move.

that said I think one of the great successes of this defense (Andy Johnson has a thread on 3rd down numbers) is how they have rushed the qb on 3rd down. Thee have been a lot of cases where the qb has to throw long before he wants to because of the rush. I’m looking forward to seeing the rush F with the inexperienced darnold on Monday. I expect major jete struggles on 3rd down and given that it’s darnold I’m seeing a pick 6.

Agreed. It you have 6 OL and a front 6 a 2 gal system has a defender “2 gapping” a blocker. In this case each defender is responsible for 2 gaps (either side of the blocker) and therefore every gap has 2 defenders covering it. (Except the edge)
When you one gap you only have one defender responsible for that gap but instead of engaging and reading he tries to blow through the gap. So the dL attacks 4 of the gaps and the LBs read and flow rather than engaging an OL.
We are doing A LOT more one gap than normal especially when we one gap one side and 2 gap the other (typically 2 gap strong 1 gap weak)

i understand conceptually but when you watch (and I’m talking 3rd down here mostly) they are clearly attacking the QB not containing. There is a lot of stunting and freedom to beat your man however you want. As I said the philosophy is moving more toward a qb can’t scramble from his back than try to win but don’t risk a lane.

The other consideration is the OL. I think the approach also considers the likelihood a blitz has 2-3 rushers at the QB before he can move.

that said I think one of the great successes of this defense (Andy Johnson has a thread on 3rd down numbers) is how they have rushed the qb on 3rd down. Thee have been a lot of cases where the qb has to throw long before he wants to because of the rush. I’m looking forward to seeing the rush F with the inexperienced darnold on Monday. I expect major jete struggles on 3rd down and given that it’s darnold I’m seeing a pick 6.

Interesting stuff. If I can free up some gamepass I'm going to check that out.

Good stuff. Thanks

Interesting stuff. If I can free up some gamepass I'm going to check that out.

Good stuff. Thanks
I wii I should I had the time to find all 140isg Of Bennett’s snaps. It would be very interesting to watch but very time consuming to find.

I wii I should I had the time to find all 140isg Of Bennett’s snaps. It would be very interesting to watch but very time consuming to find.

Ok. Not promising anything but if I can put that together I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back