PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Spikes news: late for team meeting, was going to be released; could've played

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Brandon Spikes news: late for team meeting, was going to be released; could've pl

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Patriots - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Reiss blogged Monday morning citing his colleague Mortenson's post as authoritative, without further reporting comment.

Unless he was having a brain cramp, that suggests to me he's comfortable with the sourcing on the story or else confirmed it himself.

Fair enough (I appreciate the link, Fence). While I wouldn't call it a confirmed endorsement of the story, Reiss did appear to tacitly accept it (at least that's my take). What I'd now be curious to see is if Spikes is at the Practice facility throughout this week's practice at the facility. I assume if this story is true Spikes is persona non grata on BB's side, and Spikes is probably happy to go home and start rehab in (Florida is it?).

I hadn't read the story from Mort until now. As a rule I avoid reading stories like this due to how frequently it's mere yellow journalism born of the Boston Sports Media Slug Brigade. But Mort's story and the sense I was getting from reading this thread don't necessarily match up (surprising??).

First, in Mort's story I do not see that Spikes "could have played". He only references Spikes has been "hobbled all season" but still had been playing. We know nothing of whether his knee issue had become worse after the Buffalo game (in which Spikes was markedly and visibly hobbling, and appeared to be a negative presence in the game presumably because he was so hobbled).

Second, it also does not say Spikes was IR'd for an individual act. missing Friday's meeting. It says BB "already had fined him for multiple incidents" and the IRing was based on a pattern, with Friday being the latest -- and that was coupled with the fact that his knee is/has been a problem.

What I am having trouble computing is the indirect claim by Mort (with him cleverly not outright saying it) that BB was going to cut Spikes, yet BB-Spikes sat down and mutually agreed to an IR. BB would cut a player who is supposedly healthy enough to play, is a proven starter, is a proven run tackler?? And just hand him over to our upcoming opponent(s)? That just can't be a serious belief.

The other thing that struck me was the picture from Spikes car coupled with Mort saying that all the fining/incidents, including Friday's, "the linebacker believes <are> practically explained". IF (a big if) all of this is true, I'll bet the mortgage payment Spikes knew the ramifications for not being where he was supposed to be on Friday, and he was paving his "practical explanation" with the picture. I'll tell you this, I was a supervisor of warehouse crew in my former life. The rule of thumb is when you have a guy who is late/doesn't show up/similar stuff on multiple occasions but he always says there are "practical explanations" for everyone, expect the meaning of "practical" to get entertaining.

Lastly, it's disappointing to hear the suggestion that Spikes has not bought into the Patriot Way......and I mean the real Patriot Way -- where you're rabid about winning and you have the highest professional approach toward your preparation to winning/responsibilities. 4 Years under BB and around Patriot Way players like Vince and Nink and McCourty and Mankins et al, and he just didn't swing into the fold. Too bad because his sometimes nastiness can have a positive effect at times. But bye bye to Spikes if this is true, that he is having to be fined to try to get him to that high professional approach to preparation. As if we needed another lesson in it, 2013 is showing how crucial it is to have players approaching their preparation The Patriot Way.

Re: Brandon Spikes news: late for team meeting, was going to be released; could've pl

I am reading my morning Providence Journal this morning, and after a great victory last night, on the first page of the Sports Section there is dinosaur Jim Donaldson, somehow linking the "behavior" of Cunningham, Hernandez and Spikes as somehow being Urban Meyers fault....

That Urban Meyer ran what can be generously described as a Loose Ship while in Gainesville
is nothing new.

Not only did he not even show whatsoever, he had plenty of time to post multiple updates and pictures on twitter, which he's practically glued to 24/7.

However you personally feel about Brandon Spikes, there has never seemed to be much doubt with me that he isn't very mature at all, and that's a problem in places like Foxborough.

It will be a shame to see him leave, but if we continue to address the position (all with physicality, nastiness, and a good run stopper) both in free agency and in the draft again, we will be more than fine; and potentially even improved.

How would the snow affect his ability to post on twitter?

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Patriots - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Reiss blogged Monday morning citing his colleague Mortenson's post as authoritative, without further reporting comment.

Unless he was having a brain cramp, that suggests to me he's comfortable with the sourcing on the story or else confirmed it himself.
All he did was repeat Mortensens story and attribute it to Mortensen. If he had confirmed it he would have added that. He takes no accountability to verification by saying "Mort says".

ARE YOU ******* ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BECAUSE HE WAS LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love bill, but he can be a little power hungry at times.

If being late was the only reason for IR; that was incredibly short sighted.

Anybody think a genuine team leader like Ninkovich or McCourty would be axed just for being late to a meeting? Or for that matter, that Spikes would have been if he'd been a fabulous hard-working team guy all along but showed up late once?

Adalius Thomas is the obvious parallel, but it became obvious after that season was over that dissatisfaction with Thomas's attitude went way beyond the one meeting. If BB & co. didn't expect Spikes to play much in the playoffs anyway AND he was getting grumbly, it makes sense to get him out of the locker room.

IMO the part of this story that totally rings false is that the Pats wanted to cut Spikes, but his camp negotiated IR.

First off, he is injured to some degree so cutting would have been dicey. And as others have noted, Spikes had already received his full salary and had already earned a full share of playoff pay. If he'd been cut, he'd have had a chance to double-dip with another team. The only potential $$ benefit of IR is if it puts him in a better FA negotiating position. But if that's what he wanted, he wouldn't be leaking that the team wanted to cut him! Meanwhile the Pats get a likelier benefit from keeping him on IR: a comp pick in the draft when he signs elsewhere.

Last edited:

Good thing for Lawrence Taylor that he was never late for a meeting when BB was with the Giants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News