PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Lloyd meeting with 49ers: Patriots are gonna blow it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assante could have been had for 5M/year before the 06 season but then he broke out and after that yes he was never coming back.

Mankins wanted to get paid as well but they could have gotten him for 7/year instead of the just over 8/year they paid.

I never said they don't sign players early. Ty Warren, Nick Kaczur and Dan Koppen are three more. But in these cases the deals were for below market value where the team was getting a total deal but the player some long term security in a sport where injuries can end your career quickly. Mayo is the exception to the rule. He got a market value deal which tells you how much they value him. I'm hoping with the TEs they're willing to get to something close to market in order to get it done.

Finley just got 2/15M with the idea he'll cash in during the FA period for 2014 when the cap esculates. Gronk is going to be in prime position for that too. Gronk is playing on a 4/4.1 contract. I don't have the details but lets assume you have him for a million on each of the next two seasons even though it's probably less with a signing bonus. If he comes up in 2014 you might be looking at 5/60 to sign him and I think that's conservative. If they said to him now we'll extend you for 5 years and 40M and give you 10M up front now the total deal would be 7/42 vs 7/62 the other way. So by being proactive and giving the player long term security they've made him more affordable by 20M.

If he puts up two more years like this it's going to be more than 12M/year.

The problem with locking Gronk up early, and for long term, is he has a serious back injury in the past. Just because he is fine now doesn't mean it won't be an issue in the future. Ideally you could lock him up early for a discount. But if he gets hurt again you would be screwed. I'm not saying don't lock him up early, but its something you have to take into account.

The problem with locking Gronk up early, and for long term, is he has a serious back injury in the past. Just because he is fine now doesn't mean it won't be an issue in the future. Ideally you could lock him up early for a discount. But if he gets hurt again you would be screwed. I'm not saying don't lock him up early, but its something you have to take into account.

It's definitely a valid concern but also one of the reasons why you might be able to get him cheaper now and you can work the numbers where if the worst case happens it doesn't screw your cap. Basically with the numbers I proposed your gambling 10M up front to save at a minimum 20M over 7 years.

Why does everyone always keep going back to "deep threat". that isn't what this team needs at all.

they need someone who can regularly get open and actually be some sort of threat OUTSIDE OF THE HASHMARKS.

That is the problem. Not some deep burner. They need some sort of presence out there to unclog the middle of the field. Any half-way competent defense can do it with relative ease - re: 2010 jets, 2011 ravens/NYG

its just to easy to stop the Patriots offense without SOMEONE on the outside who can get open regulary for a 10-18yrd gain.

Jesus, give me someone like Vincent Brisby - the guy was money from 10-18 yards..thats not asking much. right now..Ocho and Underwood? you gotta be kidding me.

Last edited:
our "prolific" offense was anemic in the AFCCG and scored only 17 points in the superbowl, was inconsistent and one dimensional and struggled out of the gate many times relying on the no huddle even against the uber soft schedule we had for the last 10 or so games. WR is not some kind of luxury for this team it's a need. Expecting them to fill that need in the draft is crazy considering the Pats track record in that department and the fact that there's only a few of them that make a first year impact anyway.

The draft is the only logical choice for WR if its not addressed in FA. The Pats very 1st pick @ WR? A first in the BB era of NE drafting. The Pats are due to hit on a guy that will turn heads.

As far as impact, a 1000 yard , 10 TD performance would be awesome, but I think that just having a guy who can honestly threaten the deep part of the defense would do wonders for the short passing attack.

Somebody smart, with speed to burn DBs and with great hands.

The draft is the only logical choice for WR if its not addressed in FA. The Pats very 1st pick @ WR? A first in the BB era of NE drafting. The Pats are due to hit on a guy that will turn heads.

As far as impact, a 1000 yard , 10 TD performance would be awesome, but I think that just having a guy who can honestly threaten the deep part of the defense would do wonders for the short passing attack.

Somebody smart, with speed to burn DBs and with great hands.

If the Pats don't get one in FA I'll lay 3-1 that they don't get this guy in the draft

it's not impossible but expecting it is crazy

Last edited:
24 of 32 teams have not signed a FA that is not on their team the year before.

Chill out. Jeez.

Reading the first page... wow. I guess this thread is where we quarantine off all the special folk.

Glad this ******* got banned

Patsfans, not patsfanswhoneverdisagreewiththeirmethods. Plus it is offseason after a huge loss and this sort of attitude should be expected.

Can you please direct me to where I said we didn't need more help?

Correct me if I am wrong but execution + luck means no matter what the roster if we are lucky and execute our plays we win. Thus the offseason is useless. You can say whatever you want but its not hard to understand why fans want big changes before Brady hangs it up.

Patsfans, not patsfanswhoneverdisagreewiththeirmethods. Plus it is offseason after a huge loss and this sort of attitude should be expected.

Patsfans aka sunshine.com. If you're negative in any way the village idiots come out and complain. Only positive thoughts on here!

Patsfans aka sunshine.com. If you're negative in any way the village idiots come out and complain. Only positive thoughts on here!
Less than 24 hours into free agency and there is panic in New England Patriots nation!

Correct me if I am wrong but execution + luck means no matter what the roster if we are lucky and execute our plays we win.

That isn't at all what I said. I said lack of talent was not the reason we lost the Superbowls against the Giants, and I stand by that assertion.

Thus the offseason is useless. You can say whatever you want but its not hard to understand why fans want big changes before Brady hangs it up.

Big changes to a Super Bowl-caliber roster?

Well, good luck with that.

Less than 24 hours into free agency and there is panic in New England Patriots nation!

(SARCASM) OMG WE ARE DOOMED!!! WE'VE ONLY SIGNED SPECIAL TEAMERS AND ITS BEEN ALMOST 24 HOURS OF THE START OF FREE AGENCY. WE WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS, WE WILL LOSE THE DIVISION AND WE WILL HAVE THE 2ND PICK IN THE 2013 DRAFT. THE PATRIOTS ARE DONE. WE JUST SUCK!!!

There is a lot of free agents available and we have a lot of firepower for the draft. LETS GO!!

I'm so sick and tired of the Patriots being perennial offseason losers. Doesn't anyone get tired of seeing the Redskins and Jets or Eagles being the ones who are always getting the next offseason Lombardi trophy?

Oh well, I guess we have to just settle for having a team that is constantly in the playoffs, typically with a bye and has been to 5 of the last 11 Super Bowls.

I'd trade it all for just one amazing offseason championship, though.

I'm so sick and tired of the Patriots being perennial offseason losers. Doesn't anyone get tired of seeing the Redskins and Jets or Eagles being the ones who are always getting the next offseason Lombardi trophy?

Oh well, I guess we have to just settle for having a team that is constantly in the playoffs, typically with a bye and has been to 5 of the last 11 Super Bowls.

I'd trade it all for just one amazing offseason championship, though.

Shortsighted fool!

We need to be perennial offseason champs. Why blow it all for just one offseason when it's better to be a contender for offseason champs every March & April?

Last edited:
As fun as it is losing superbowls, or being one and done in the playoffs, maybe if the Pats would land a big fish in FA they could turn all of that around.

I will now be leaving the internet forever before some of the rabid homers trace my IP and burn my house to the ground.

As fun as it is losing superbowls, or being one and done in the playoffs, maybe if the Pats would land a big fish in FA they could turn all of that around.

I will now be leaving the internet forever before some of the rabid homers trace my IP and burn my house to the ground.

I have your IP and I am on my way with some gasoline :p:singing:

Disagreeing with you == rabid homer, got it.

It can't possibly be that after a decade of constantly competing, and winning more SBs than anyone else, that maybe the Patriots have figured out how to balance out bringing in new talent to improve their team yet avoid overpaying and upsetting their locker room.

Nah, I like your rationale better. I'm such a homer I suckle @ Belichick's teets everyday.

I take it back

All hail Bill Belichick

the smartest man who ever was, and a man who makes no decision but the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes