PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Gorin vs. Wesley Britt

Status
Not open for further replies.
PATRIOTS-80 said:
IMHO, a draft pick in rounds 4-6 should at least make the PS one year as a developmental player. The next year in training camp, the player will have one year of TC, playbook, and physical building in the teams' system. If the player can't seem to make it (see Dexter Reid), you need to draft another rookie (James Sanders) to take his place as a developmental/ST player.

I wouldn't bother harping on this but it is the slow season.

No way a practice squad player is a lock to make the team.

In the first place he has to be cut and exposed on waivers to every other team.

Then he is still subject to being acquired by any team if they can keep him on the roster a certain amount of time.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. A PS player is a cut player available to any team.

RayClay said:

Then he is still subject to being acquired by any team if they can keep him on the roster a certain amount of time.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. A PS player is a cut player available to any team.
You are not wrong. I think you are right on all counts.

Non-veteeran players who are cut (that don't make the 53-man roster) have to clear waivers. The day after the 53 man roster is set teams may sign qualified players to the practice squad. Any team can sign any player from another teams practice squad, but they have to keep the player on the 53-man roster for three weeks. A player doesn't have to sign with another team, but there are few practice squadders who would pass up a chance on a roster.

People who talk about putting Gostkowski on the practice squad are delusional. Other (lousy) teams can easily slide players onto the squad because frankly, no one wants them. Teams like the Pats and Steelers, who tend to be loaded with higher quality players, aren't so lucky. Often their 53rd and 54th player is much better than guys on other teams' 53-man roster. We could have used Kyle Eckel (claimed on waivers) or Cory CHapman (signed off our practice squad) late last year.

As far as sliding fourth and fifth round picks to the practice squad, folks need to think about it. Any team can get a free fourth round pick simply by putting in a waiver claim.

NordicVoyager said:
Plus it really made me smile to read of Britt's tenacity according to the quote attributed to Colvin about how Britt made him so much better prepared for opposing teams on Sundays. Anyone have a link to that Colvin quote?

It was from an interview on WEEI with Dale and Holley. Colvin was a regular guest once a wk last year.

jczxohn1 said:
It was from an interview on WEEI with Dale and Holley. Colvin was a regular guest once a wk last year.

This Britt was a very highly regarded player, I believe.

I thought I read he was 1st round material if not for the injury, but I can't find a quote like that now.

We have seriously upgraded the talent on the Oline the last 2 years.

If our starters come back from injuries 100%, their will be some fierce battles at G, G-C and right tackle.

I wouldn't rule out a switch at left tackle either, (Kazur, Mankins?) but I'll leave that to those more familiar with line play than myself.

Besides the 3 way battle at right tackle I think people overlook the solid starting credentials of Ross Tucker at G-C.

Great competition hopefully means a much more talented group without the big salary of a KC line, for example.

By the way, I don't know much about line play, but KCs line is awesome to watch.

They can hold a seamless pocket seemingly forever.

RayClay said:

Yeah, I already knew that about the PS. I am pretty sure (I saw your Hobbs comment) that you really need to be sold on a player for many years (heck, you are not even sold on Brady as the best Patriot ever!). I, on the other hand, am always optimistic (just the way I am) about the potential of rookies. I know that potential means you have don't nothin'. But still if you don't load up on potential, you won't have nothin'. Does every draft pick make it? No. Are only 1st round picks locks to make the team the first year. No. If you throw away 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and even sometimes 5th or 6th picks, you are a bad GM and should be fired. Are their exceptions when you completely miss, sure. But they are the exceptions, they should never be the rule. The player better be good enough to stick to the 53 or at least be training camp fodder to be (hopefully) put on the PS. I understand your opinion, but the one I stated is mine.

Last edited:
Pats726 said:
And what is another mark of a good team is when it is hard to get down to the max before training camp. I've not seen that at all in the past....last year, I did a bit and this year, I see more of.
You have a good point. I'm not so sure that cuts before training camp are going to be all that much tougher - just my take and could be wrong.

But it looks like this year final cuts are going to be really really tough in some positions.

OL is certainly one of those. It wouldn't be unusual for Belichick to carry only 8 but he has carried 9. So there is going to be a LOT riding on performance in training camp and preseason for the OL competition:

Koppen, Dan
Light, Matt
Mankins, Logan
Kaczur, Nick
Hochstein, Russ
Neal, Stephen
Gorin, Brandon
O'Callaghan, Ryan
---------------------------------8 man cut line
Stevenson, Dan
---------------------------------9 man cut line
...The Pats typically keep rookies on the 53 man roster - especially 5th round and higher
...The following players are going to have to show REALLY strong in preseason to have ANY chance of making the final 53. Seems unlikely.
Mruczkowski, Gene
Roehl, Jeff
Yates, Billy
Britt, Wesly
Tucker, Ross
Steitz, Nick

RayClay and spacecrime had some very pertinent comments about why the Pats are unlikely to try to put rookies on the practice squad.

We might see O'Callaghan and / or Stevensen go on PUP or IR - that could open up one or two slots. Light might start out on PUP which would open up a slot for the first few weeks of the season. Let's just hope we don't have any injuries to the regulars.

Last edited:
Absolutely. AJ was talking about this before the draft. We had a lot of trouble last year with jail-break blitzes. Tommy had no time to go through his check-downs, the TE's had to stay in, Deion got double and triple covered, it was no wonder Givens got so many balls. It was the formula for stopping us when it had to be done and the opponent had the personnel. Never understand why Tommy didn't get more late hit's called. Beefing up the O-line has to be a big priority.

spacecrime said:
People who talk about putting Gostkowski on the practice squad are delusional. Other (lousy) teams can easily slide players onto the squad because frankly, no one wants them. Teams like the Pats and Steelers, who tend to be loaded with higher quality players, aren't so lucky. Often their 53rd and 54th player is much better than guys on other teams' 53-man roster. We could have used Kyle Eckel (claimed on waivers) or Cory CHapman (signed off our practice squad) late last year.

As far as sliding fourth and fifth round picks to the practice squad, folks need to think about it. Any team can get a free fourth round pick simply by putting in a waiver claim.

I agree. O'Callagan, if he isn't IRed, (I believe he was injured during his season season), will be on the 53.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
Yeah, I already knew that about the PS. I am pretty sure (I saw your Hobbs comment) that you really need to be sold on a player for many years (heck, you are not even sold on Brady as the best Patriot ever!). I, on the other hand, am always optimistic (just the way I am) about the potential of rookies. I know that potential means you have don't nothin'. But still if you don't load up on potential, you won't have nothin'. Does every draft pick make it? No. Are only 1st round picks locks to make the team the first year. No. If you throw away 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and even sometimes 5th or 6th picks, you are a bad GM and should be fired. Are their exceptions when you completely miss, sure. But they are the exceptions, they should never be the rule. The player better be good enough to stick to the 53 or at least be training camp fodder to be (hopefully) put on the PS. I understand your opinion, but the one I stated is mine.

The great teams get value out of their low round picks. The Cowboys did it for years. The Pats have a fantastic record.

I just disagree that these lower round players are locks.

With the UDFAs and FAs and cuts from other teams, there is little reason for any team to keep a player like this should another beat him out in fair competition.

As for Hannah, he is acknowledged to be one of the greatest players ever and the greatest lineman according to many.

He plays an unglamorous position, but I don't believe only quarterbacks and running backs can be considered great.

He dominated at his position as much or more than any player, (this is arguable, of course).

Brady's still young. He might well be considered the greatest quarterback ever when he's done. But he isn't yet.

I will grant that as a leader and a winner he couldn't have done more.

Hanna's career is over and the jury's in on him.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
I agree. O'Callagan, if he isn't IRed, (I believe he was injured during his season season), will be on the 53.

The Pats are going to have tough competition on the OL this year.

With Britt and Tucker plus the holdovers and draft picks I'm guessing the Pats pull every trick in the book to keep some of these guys, (IR) not that they'd do anything unethical, (K. Kingsbury).:D

RayClay said:
The Pats are going to have tough competition on the OL this year.

With Britt and Tucker plus the holdovers and draft picks I'm guessing the Pats pull every trick in the book to keep some of these guys, (IR) not that they'd do anything unethical, (K. Kingsbury).:D

hehehehe. What was 5th round pick Claridge's injury again? :)

Last edited:
RayClay said:
I just disagree that these lower round players are locks.
I don't think there is any question about that.

On the other hand, we have to keep in mind: from 2001-2005 only 4 players in 4th thru 6th haven't made the roster:

2001 - Patriots carried 2 TEs and their drafted TEs didn't make the squad: Holloway a 4th rounder and Love a 6th rounder.

2003 - I don't believe Kingsbury as a 6th rounder made the 53.

2004 - I don't think Cobbs as a 4th rounder made the original 53 man cut.

arrellbee said:
I don't think there is any question about that.

On the other hand, we have to keep in mind: from 2001-2005 only 4 players in 4th thru 6th haven't made the roster:

2001 - Patriots carried 2 TEs and their drafted TEs didn't make the squad: Holloway a 4th rounder and Love a 6th rounder.

I thought Kliff was *cough* injured.

Dave Stachelski?

There's no doubt you want to try and keep your picks. That's why you picked them.

arrellbee said:
I.

Cobbs was PUP.....and Kingsbury IRed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore