PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Browner sent to prison for 8 years

A lot of posters are beating up on Browner instead of addressing the big elephant in the room, the NFL itself. How many of you realize what a cutthroat business the NFL is? Once you're no longer good enough to play in the league, you're out- that's it. No pension, no health care, no support system.
Wrong on all three counts. They have a 401(k) and a pension. They get 5 years of post-retirement health insurance. There is an EAP for retired players (as well as active players), etc.
Overview of NFL Player Benefits - NFL Play Smart, Play Safe

My company, like most in the US, does not offer any pension or health care after my employment is terminated. That's my responsibility entirely and I am good with that. I don't feel bad for these players at all other than basic human compassion.

A lot of posters are beating up on Browner instead of addressing the big elephant in the room, the NFL itself. How many of you realize what a cutthroat business the NFL is? Once you're no longer good enough to play in the league, you're out- that's it. No pension, no health care, no support system.

This, obviously does not excuse Browner from what he, and many other jobless ex-athletes have done. But you have to ask- would things have been different if he had a pension, health insurance (e.g., the ability to seek help), or in general, a support system for ex-players who suddenly have too much time on their hand, and a resume that has no application to the real world?

I have a friend who was a backup player in the NYFL for a few years. He had a pension that he could draw from for different amounts depending on what age he started. Even at his lower pay he was able to invest in a few things that leave him in good financial shape now.

There's also the connections that an NYFL players makes that can open doors for ex-players that wouldn't be open to many other people.

I'm not a huge fan of the NYFL, but if someone played for as long as Browner did he should be in a better position financially than he ended up. Not set for life like some of the top paid players but certainly not broke.

As for his brutalizing his ex that doesn't really have anything to do with football.

Just as an fyi based on the current subtopic (definitely not a comment on right or wrong of anyone's opinion), according to 247 sports Brandon Browner will receive $5,640 dollars per month per year in the league, starting at age 55

If this is correct, so browner has 5 years. He'll get $28200 per month at 55. Or 338 k per year? My heart no longer bleeds for the players and their pensions.

My first job started in the 80's will net me $280 per month ( starting at 65) for 14 years service. Since then I have no pensions in the private sector. It's a good thing there are 401 k's.

OTOH Browner made 12.5 million dollars in his career, there should have been enough money to live on comfortably the rest of his life, or at least until his pension kicked in.. Compare to Gronk who has reportedly lived off of his endorsements and banked/invested all the money rec'd from the Patriots..

I suspect many players choose financial advisers who will help them plan for the future, but then there are always players are played upon by bad advisers and players who chose to navigate their financial future alone..

A lot of time they hire a friend from childhood, and the friend ALWAYS seems to **** them over.

You're kidding right? A friend of mine's sister used to date Phil Esposito when he was a player and there was a bar called "King's Corner" in Leominster where they used to hang out. They did pre-season in Wallace Civic Center in Fitchburg. Trust me, the things that went on upstairs at King's Corner would make most NFL players blush.
If you think the rate of criminality among NHL players is even remotely comparable to those in the NFL, I feel sorry for you. You're the one who has to be kidding.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back