PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady's appeal on the suspension

phil112

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
If the appeal board is truly independent, can there be any other result other than overturning the suspension? The more I see, the more I read, the more apparent it becomes that this is a very transparent witch hunt.
The NFL stipulates a penalty of 25k for the offense. There is no proof of, not only Brady deflating the balls, but even the Patriots deflating them intentionally below legal limits. If, and they were, the NFL gauges were inaccurate, how can anyone say with any degree of certainty the Patriots ball boy had a better gauge?

Here is one view from a commenter on another article:
"Colonel Forbin 17 minutes ago
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Incident: The Vikings and Panthers illegally heat footballs on the sideline
NFL action: Send out memo saying that you can't do that

Incident: Brett Farve refuses to turn over his personal cell phone for an investigation
NFL action: $50,000 fine

Incident: Chargers used a stickum towel on the sideline for footballs/gloves, equipment guys try to impede the NFL investigation
NFL action: $20,000 fine

Incident: Patriots played the first half of the AFCCG with under-inflated footballs
NFL action: Brady suspended 4 games, Pats fined $1,000,000 and docked a 1st and 4th round draft pick."

***The Vikings and Panthers did it for everyone to see. They weren't hiding it and both were warned.

***Brett Favre didn't turn over his cell phone because he didn't want his naked pictures to be out there. He admitted to it and took the punishment.

*** The Chargers case of cheating by using an illegal substance was dismissed. The fine they paid was due to the Ball boy not giving them the towel right away. They never lied and this was also on live TV with the commentators talking about the situation as it was going on.

So you tell me, Do you honestly think these situations are equal or similar ? The Case's above were either on live television and or all parties %100 cooperated.

The sad part is that this has only just begun....I'm sure Patriots players are going to hate doing interviews, And who knows how much longer is this going to go on? With the Appeals and taking it to the real Justice system Etc.

ESPN & the NFLN is going to be pointless because it's all going to be about Tom Brady.

***The Vikings and Panthers did it for everyone to see. They weren't hiding it and both were warned.

***Brett Favre didn't turn over his cell phone because he didn't want his naked pictures to be out there. He admitted to it and took the punishment.

*** The Chargers case of cheating by using an illegal substance was dismissed. The fine they paid was due to the Ball boy not giving them the towel right away. They never lied and this was also on live TV with the commentators talking about the situation as it was going on.

So you tell me, Do you honestly think these situations are equal or similar ? The Case's above were either on live television and or all parties %100 cooperated.

The sad part is that this has only just begun....I'm sure Patriots players are going to hate doing interviews, And who knows how much longer is this going to go on? With the Appeals and taking it to the real Justice system Etc.

ESPN & the NFLN is going to be pointless because it's all going to be about Tom Brady.

I still don't think the Patriots did anything wrong. That's the difference between this and the other situations. There's no evidence or indication that pressures were tampered with. Anyone who's read the report closely should be able to see it, even if you don't want to be objective.

I never watch ESPN or NFLN anyhow. I thought they both sucked even before this whole deal went down.

I think Goodall has set a massive precedent here. As i've said before in another post every team in the N.F.L. sits on a knife edge with regards to pushing the rule book, now they have fined the Pats they can no longer get away with warning or minor rule changes to allow the rest to get away with it. They either fine for every infringement or stop the witch hunt against the Pats. In future if i was Robert Kraft i would be shouting loudest of all if another team is found in breach even if its most probably they did it with no solid evidence.
I hope Brady's legal team rip Goodall a new one because lets face it any court in any land in the world would throw it out for lack of substantial evidence. It really does make a mockery of the sport.

I sense the tide of public opinion turning against goodell on this thing. It is obvious, even to the most prejudiced haters, that this reaction from goodell is way over the top.
I hope if Brady doesn't get satisfaction from an appeal he takes it to a civil court.

Goodell cant possibly let it go to a civil court surely........ Not enough evidence to prove there was deflation of the balls and evidence that proved that there was not any tampering going on i.e. gas laws thrown out or altered. If it did go to a civil court it would most likely be laughed out were does that leave Goodell and the N.F.L. then????

Goodell cant possibly let it go to a civil court surely........ Not enough evidence to prove there was deflation of the balls and evidence that proved that there was not any tampering going on i.e. gas laws thrown out or altered. If it did go to a civil court it would most likely be laughed out were does that leave Goodell and the N.F.L. then????
Therein lies the problem. goodell has painted himself into the proverbial corner. Altho the rules state he can appoint himself as arbitrator in the appeals hearing, he surely isn't stupid enough to do that. If he mediates the appeal I see the NFLPA and Brady going to civil court, and I don't think goodell has ever won in civil court, nor would he this time. He has to know to avoid civil suit at all costs. A truly independent arbiter will at the very least slash Brady's suspension, and realistically he should vacate it completely. So goodell will have to mediate this appeal to uphold his verdict yet the immediate and strident backlash from, not only the public, but the owners and players as well, would be the death knell for his job.
He has pooped in his oatmeal on this deal.
I see no way out for him.

I have always had a suspicion that the colts let the air out of the one ball they had in their possession. It was significantly below the others and no one has made any effort bring reasonable and logical refutation of such a possibility.
Now I read this. This is a rotten mess. I hope goodell gets banned for life from the nfl,, along with that snake kensil.

"The Patriots made sure to point out in their rebuttal that, while they are the ones in the NFL’s crosshairs, the Indianapolis Colts were actually the ones acknowledging that they were doing things to the football they shouldn’t.

Wells’ report noted that, “During the second quarter of the AFC Championship Game, a ball thrown by Tom Brady was intercepted by a player for the Colts and the ball was taken to the Colts sideline. On the sideline, Colts equipment personnel used a pressure gauge to measure the inflation level of the ball, determined that it was below the minimum 12.5 psi level and informed a game official and other NFL personnel.”

The Patriots’ rebuttal points out this is a violation.

“Once the game starts, neither team is allowed to gauge the footballs, pump them, or the like,” they wrote. “That is solely the province of the referee, who is to be the “sole judge” of whether footballs comply. The Colts, with advance concerns about psi, did not take the issue to the referee. They took the matter into their own hands and had an intern gauge the football. (pg. 63) This conduct was in violation of Rule 2. Nowhere does the Report identify this conduct as a violation of the Rule.”

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-pa...-issue-of-indianapolis-colts-testing-football

Something many on this site have been talking about for awhile. Goes to show how biased the wells report is.

Tom Brady had to have text messages on his phone from other quarterbacks. And giving up a friend is worse than deflating a football. They have the phones from the other guys, obviously it's not them.

Goodell has no other choice but to overturn this, if he doesn't - then the Patriots take him to court and at this point it should be obvious to everyone involved that their footballs weren't out of range in the first place.

The only problem i can see for you guys in the U.S. is that if thr N.F.L. gets a kicking from this( which they should) Goodell has to resign. He is a power mad everything needs to be done my way kinda guy which means he will most likely run for president.........Can you imagine that??!!

So goodell has made himself the arbiter. Can only be for one of two reasons.
1. He wants to be the one to back the penalty down to improve the way he is perceived after totally screwing this up from start to finish. He's hoping this will add some perfume to dampen the skunk smell that pevades the area when he moves around.
2. He knows an independent arbiter will ax this penalty and he will have none of it. He hates Brady and the Patriots as they have made his life pure hell, seeing as he and kensil have their nose so far up the jets backside.

I vote number 2. This is nothing more than a "I'll show you once and for all who's boss".
He is a detestable little worm and needs to be sent packing....him and his whole crew.

Goodell is pushing the envelope of his power as commissioner. His "I'll show them who's boss" attitude is already wearing thin. His arbitrary decisions of the last year make him look more and more like a loose cannon. And antagonizing Robert Kraft, who is still one of the most powerful owners, is a sign he thinks he's above the rest. The Wells report is nothing more than a expensive heap of toiletpaper. 240+ pages to get to a few "possibly, maybe" 's?

I dont understand how Goodell can make himself arbitor. How can the commissioner of the N.F.L. make a decision on a punishment given out by the N.F.L.?? What a farce! This really is making the N.F.L. a laughing stock. How much longer are the rest of the guys in charge going to allow Goodell to carry on?

Has a date been set yet for the hearing on the appeal?

Im not worried about Brady, 100% chance this gets cut down or eliminated, its the team penalty that's going to be dicey to get justice.

Im not worried about Brady, 100% chance this gets cut down or eliminated, its the team penalty that's going to be dicey to get justice.
Oh the team will get satisfaction alright...every time they play the colts and the ravens.
I have a feeling we'll find out how many touchdown passes Brady can throw in one game and how many points the Pats can score in a game.
I see New England, ahead by 40, calling time out with one second left in the game so Brady can throw one last touchdown from the 1 yard line.
I see people really getting loud about the Pats running up the score in a couple of games.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back