PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady: I wouldn't have had the success I've had without Bill

Romo, Warner, Warren Moon, Jeff Garcia, Delhomme, Hoyer, and Case Keenan all were undrafted and made it in the league. But no the GOAT had no chance if he wasn’t drafted here

First, stop twisting my words. I never said that Belichick was the only coach who would have discovered Brady’s talents. I said he was able to recognize Brady’s talent and worked to maximize those talents where Brady might not have that opportunity in another team.

But the fact is many head coaches that already had three other QBs on the roster including one of the top QBs in the league at the time might not have given Brady a chance to prove himself. And other teams may not even have even considered picking up a QB who was out of shape, slow, not great arm strength, and couldn’t win the starting spot on his college team which was the wrap on Brady when he was coming out of college.

The perceived ceiling for Brady coming out of college was a back up QB. A lot of teams don’t even want to invest energy in developing a back up QB and just sign a veteran for the role. So a lot of teams would never even given him a chance to prove he could become the greatest of all time.

Good video below...Tom talking about how much he learned from Bill and how important he was to his development. Both Bill and Tom are saying the right things......

I think its safe to say that they both benefited from each other. Hopefully, we can all agree on that.

We had an authoritative GOAT HC paired with a GOAT QB who respected authority. Tom with Bill was a match made in heaven and anyone who doesn't see that is blind.

BUT... if I had to chose one over the other I go with the GOAT QB every time and twice on Sunday. I'd much rather watch the Pats with Tom over center than with Bill on the sideline.

First, stop twisting my words. I never said that Belichick was the only coach who would have discovered Brady’s talents. I said he was able to recognize Brady’s talent and worked to maximize those talents where Brady might not have that opportunity in another team.

But the fact is many head coaches that already had three other QBs on the roster including one of the top QBs in the league at the time might not have given Brady a chance to prove himself. And other teams may not even have even considered picking up a QB who was out of shape, slow, not great arm strength, and couldn’t win the starting spot on his college team which was the wrap on Brady when he was coming out of college.

The perceived ceiling for Brady coming out of college was a back up QB. A lot of teams don’t even want to invest energy in developing a back up QB and just sign a veteran for the role. So a lot of teams would never even given him a chance to prove he could become the greatest of all time.
The teams who passed on Brady, including the Pats for 5 rounds, wouldn't be my choice as examples of what would have happened with Brady if he wasn't drafted. He's been showing the world for 21 years that all 32 teams made a mistake in their evaluation of him and the idea that he wouldn't have found a team and had a career in the NYFL is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Bill Belichick stumbled upon the GOAT QB thanks to **** Rehbein and once he saw how great Tom was he used him for 20 years and then threw him away rather than let him finish his career here. When all is said and done, Tom will go down as a greater QB than Bill was as a HC. The records prove that without a doubt.

I was really happy to see how Belichick and Brady handled themselves. My gut feeling is that Belichick may have issued a bit of a mea culpa to Brady postgame, basically something along the lines of, "hey, look, I was wrong to not guarantee you a contract beyond 'x' year -- you clearly still have it, you earned that right, and you deserved that opportunity and commitment from us". I have no idea what was said, though, just speculating ... and regardless of Brady, it's hard not to feel very excited about Mac moving into the future.
I had exactly the same thought about what happened after the game. I think Bill regrets his own role in this. There was a reason why Bill looked for Tom in the visitors locker room after the game. I think whatever happened is now behind them and I’m glad.

i think Brady’s message to BB on social media after the game says it all. They’re on good terms again and that makes me happy too.

I am more optimistic now that the Pats will invite Brady to retire as a Patriot when the time comes and Tom will accept.

Last edited:
I had exactly the same thought about what happened after the game. I think Bill regrets his own role in this. There was a reason why Bill looked for Tom in the visitors locker room after the game. I think whatever happened is now behind them and I’m glad.

I am more optimistic now that the Pats will invite Brady to retire as a Patriot when the time comes and Tom will accept.
If below didn’t happened it’d be a damn shame.

Reactions: sb1
We had an authoritative GOAT HC paired with a GOAT QB who respected authority. Tom with Bill was a match made in heaven and anyone who doesn't see that is blind.

BUT... if I had to chose one over the other I go with the GOAT QB every time and twice on Sunday. I'd much rather watch the Pats with Tom over center than with Bill on the sideline.
Yeah, as my father always tells me, a great coach can't win without the great player......the players are always going to be more important...

When all is said and done, Tom will go down as a greater QB than Bill was as a HC.
Brady is hands down GOAT QB.

Bill is not hands down GOAT coach. He’s one of the all time greats but it’s not clear cut unless you look at rings. Which is a team accomplishment not an individual or coach accomplishment.

any team where you could hand off the ball to... um Antowain Smith... or dump the ball off to er... Arthur Love, that's a SB waiting to happen... oh shut up whoever said that lol

I think Peanut Butter Cups wouldn't be any good without chocolate. So pretty much the same thing if you replace peanut butter with vegemite, right?
Can't you hear can't you hear the thunder?!

Yeah, as my father always tells me, a great coach can't win without the great player......the players are always going to be more important...
Players are more important than coach. You flat out cannot win without good players. That is just a fact. A coach can help greatly maybe be better than what you are, but players are the ones making or not making the plays. Bill always said a coach can lose a game, but players win them.

i think Brady’s message to BB on social media after the game says it all. They’re on good terms again and that makes me happy too.

Patriots have zero reason to not like Brady. So I cannot see why they would not invite him to retire as a patriot.

Reactions: sb1
For sure.

But I think Brady likely wins rings with a lot of good coaches like say Reid or even Pete. He did win one with Arians.

No, he didn't "win one with Arians." He won one with a freaking ALL-STAR TEAM. Arians was just a bystander and his lack of ability to command smart, disciplined play almost wrecked things early that season. In fact, it's still a problem. Brady brought a semblance of BB's ethos to the Bucs.
bingo!

Brady won one for Arians, with an all-star ensemble supporting cast, using everything he learned over twenty years being coached by Belichick.

no reason to assume he would’ve won one for any other coach without that foundation.

bingo!

Brady won one for Arians, with an all-star ensemble supporting cast, using everything he learned over twenty years being coached by Belichick.

no reason to assume he would’ve won one for any other coach without that foundation.
They were a 7-9 team....enough with this all star team BS, they had not won a playoff game in 18 years. thats not an all star team. Bill has drafted 10 QB's over his time here and none of them even came close to being a pimple on Brady's ass. So sorry it was not the magic wand of Bill that made Brady good. Brady won a superbowl with another coach. Bill has not won as a head coach a superbowl with another QB. I am not bashing Bill here, but this silly narrative died when Brady left the team and had success and Bill didnt. So yeah, evidence says there is plenty of reason to assume because he actually did it.

It was not some genius move man. Hey look we are losing with Bledsoe and when I put Brady in we started winning. Yeah that is not brain surgery. Brady had one chance to make it. If he struggled and did not start winning, he would have went back to the bench. Bill would not even have drafted Brady had it not been for **** Rehbein, and then when Brady got there, he worked his ass off to be what he was. Nobody handed him anything.
Just like his college career at Michigan, right?

They were a 7-9 team....enough with this all star team BS, they had not won a playoff game in 18 years. thats not an all star team. Bill has drafted 10 QB's over his time here and none of them even came close to being a pimple on Brady's ass. So sorry it was not the magic wand of Bill that made Brady good. Brady won a superbowl with another coach. Bill has not won as a head coach a superbowl with another QB. I am not bashing Bill here, but this silly narrative died when Brady left the team and had success and Bill didnt. So yeah, evidence says there is plenty of reason to assume because he actually did it.
They added:
Brady
Gronk
LeSean McCoy
Leonard Fournette
Antonio Brown

yep, no all-stars on that list.

Where he was 20-5 with two bowl wins, one over alabama?
And riding the bench as much as starting, for his entire career. Couldn’t secure a permanent starting job, regardless of his talent and work ethic.

They added:
Brady
Gronk
LeSean McCoy
Leonard Fournette
Antonio Brown

yep, no all-stars on that list.
Well actually brady added them....they were a 7-9 team who had not won a playoff game in 18 years before Brady got there...Brown, Gronk, Fournette are not there unless Brady is....did you just use McCoy as one of your all stars? LMAO.

Arguing whether Brady or Belichick is better and more important to their success is like arguing over whether sodium or chlorine is better and more important to making salt.

It’s too damn bad that some people can’t handle the idea that praise for one is not disrespect for the other.

And riding the bench as much as starting, for his entire career. Couldn’t secure a permanent starting job, regardless of his talent and work ethic.
25 starts in college is riding the bench? Funny that is more than most guys get.

Arguing whether Brady or Belichick is better and more important to their success is like arguing over whether sodium or chlorine is better and more important to making salt.
There is no argument, players play, regardless of what a coach does. If they play bad, they are not good, if they play great, they are great. 10 QB's drafted by Bill and not one of them became brady or anything close. So sorry its not a magic wand.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back