PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady got 27 PI calls in 2020, Mahomes got 4, only 1 other QB has got as many as 20 in like last ten years or something

doctahwhodat

On the Roster
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Brady got 27 PI calls in 2020, Mahomes got 4, only 1 other QB has got as many as 20 in like last ten years or something.

I am huge Brady and Pats fan, from Boston, but is there any legitimate complaint here? 27 PI for Brady. Second closest in NFL accord to these clowns on CHiefs Planet was the Steelers with 19. Mahomes got 4, again just according to these guys I have no articles or anything

And supposedly only like one other QB has had as many as 20 in like a decade.

Is there something about how intelligent Brady is that he throws people into PI? I am being sincere just curious what smart football fans (i'm a hack) think.

I can't find any stats on that specifically, but for the 2020 season the Bucs had 84 penalties called against them and received 95 calls in their favor.

The Chiefs had 105 called against them and 97 in their favor.

Chiefs were undisciplined as they had the 4th most penalties called against them.

The least called is you guessed it, NE with 62 called against 84 were called in their favor.

Basically undisciplined teams commit more penalties.

Finally found the individual stats. Yeah the Bucs had 30 DPI calls in their favor for the entire year, including post season.

Chiefs had 4, Saints had 9.

Definitely seems one sided, but the Bucs have big WRs that make contested catches like Evans and Godwin.

Most deep passes for the Chiefs are to burners like Hill and Hardman, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Times Patriots and Brady benefited from DPI flags
2019 - 14
2018 - 9
2017 - 14
2016 - 9
2015 - 10

Don't see anything unusual here so I'm sure it's coincidence and nothing more.

Complaining about it is funny coming from fans of a team that gets away with offensive and especially defensive holding and DPI all season long and won a Super Bowl because the refs kept their flags in their pockets.

This time the refs didn't let them get away with that and the result was very different. Weird.

They also had trouble beating a Pats team in 2020 with no QB and no practice at home, and would have lost to the Pats in 2019 if N'keal Harry was correctly called in bounds. Also benefited big time from a non helmet to helmet call in the Browns game. Would have very likely lost the playoff game and went one and done if it was called as it should have been.

Seems like the Queefs really ain't all that. They're only as great as the refs let them be. Not impressed.

Last edited:
Brady got 27 PI calls in 2020, Mahomes got 4, only 1 other QB has got as many as 20 in like last ten years or something.

I am huge Brady and Pats fan, from Boston, but is there any legitimate complaint here? 27 PI for Brady. Second closest in NFL accord to these clowns on CHiefs Planet was the Steelers with 19. Mahomes got 4, again just according to these guys I have no articles or anything

And supposedly only like one other QB has had as many as 20 in like a decade.

Is there something about how intelligent Brady is that he throws people into PI? I am being sincere just curious what smart football fans (i'm a hack) think.
I was thinking this stat was put up there as a compliment to Brady.

But instead I see people are using it to detract from him.

I credited Brady with like 50 extra yards a game this year because of all the Is on what would have been completions.

I'd love for someone to compile film of all those PIs. They were glaring PIs and should have been credited to Brady.

It’s only an issue if a significant amount of those are really borderline . Otherwise not much to conclude, they have great wrs who are also physical beasts, makes sense they could draw lots of pi’s. Kc s only great wr gets his jersey from baby gap

I wondered if they where complaining last year in the super bowl when they where holding the 49ers left and right. They have to be the team that holds the most in the league because they stink in pass coverage. It’s about time they got called for it. Be disciplined.

Bucs/Brady had the all time record for PI calls this year. This was widely known going into the game.

Screenshot_20210226-165643_Chrome.jpg

The sour grapes from KC fans is amazing. Same for GB. They have so many 'yeah but' points to make that it is honestly getting sad at this point. I saw this before and frankly it was mostly BS. The Bucs got that many flags because of their players and playing style. As well as Brady putting it on his guys better than the previous QB. A lot of of DPIs were on deep shots to Evans. Maybe the defender would take their chance if Winston was still throwing the ball, but since it was Brady it psyched them out and made them a little grab happy. This is a reason why the Bucs had significantly less passing yards this year. A lot of big chunks were taken off the board on those penalties. It is the same reason some coaches lose their minds when they play Brady and do stupid thing.

As for KC getting only 4 that has a lot to do with how they play offense. Their guys don't make contested catches. They get open and beat you with speed. KC plays in a way that is more likely to get defensive holding than DPI called IMO. Not to mention if no one is open enough Mahomes usually runs it. Unlike Brady he doesn't feel the need to throw those contested balls into tight windows as much. This seems strange on the surface, but it makes sense. If you want to have a serious conversation about it they should pull up every DPI that was called on TB and we can look at them. And pull up all the missed calls on KC. Of course then we need to look at every other TB play as well to see if there were missed calls on them too.

Flacco would be proud lol. But honestly, that system was a good thing for Brady. He is reluctant to throw deep and the Bucs demanded that he did so. At first it was rough and lead to much media discussion about how Arians is using Brady wrong etc, but eventually they melded and it was like Brady became addicted to throwing it deep. In one of the Buc's playoff games(can't remember which one atm) Brady stuck to the run on first down no matter how ineffective it was in a way I haven't seen here pretty much ever. Commitment to the deep ball and run was like yin to Brady's yang that he needed.

We needed the Bucs version of Brady for guys like Harry who is a 50/50 or draw pi guy but that isn't our thing under McDaniels.

I wonder if KC had a good number of them thrown that weren't accepted because they made first downs or scored on the plays anyway? I also wonder if Chiefs receivers were held and those were called before pass interference had a chance to be called?

Last edited:
Flacco would be proud lol. But honestly, that system was a good thing for Brady. He is reluctant to throw deep and the Bucs demanded that he did so. At first it was rough and lead to much media discussion about how Arians is using Brady wrong etc, but eventually they melded and it was like Brady became addicted to throwing it deep. In one of the Buc's playoff games(can't remember which one atm) Brady stuck to the run on first down no matter how ineffective it was in a way I haven't seen here pretty much ever. Commitment to the deep ball and run was like yin to Brady's yang that he needed.

We needed the Bucs version of Brady for guys like Harry who is a 50/50 or draw pi guy but that isn't our thing under McDaniels.

Many of these PI calls came in the first 5 games when Brady threw deep repeatedly. He actually stopped going deep as the season moved on.

Brady got 4 DPIs downfield in the first game alone.

The sour grapes from KC fans is amazing. Same for GB. They have so many 'yeah but' points to make that it is honestly getting sad at this point. I saw this before and frankly it was mostly BS. The Bucs got that many flags because of their players and playing style. As well as Brady putting it on his guys better than the previous QB. A lot of of DPIs were on deep shots to Evans. Maybe the defender would take their chance if Winston was still throwing the ball, but since it was Brady it psyched them out and made them a little grab happy. This is a reason why the Bucs had significantly less passing yards this year. A lot of big chunks were taken off the board on those penalties. It is the same reason some coaches lose their minds when they play Brady and do stupid thing.

As for KC getting only 4 that has a lot to do with how they play offense. Their guys don't make contested catches. They get open and beat you with speed. KC plays in a way that is more likely to get defensive holding than DPI called IMO. Not to mention if no one is open enough Mahomes usually runs it. Unlike Brady he doesn't feel the need to throw those contested balls into tight windows as much. This seems strange on the surface, but it makes sense. If you want to have a serious conversation about it they should pull up every DPI that was called on TB and we can look at them. And pull up all the missed calls on KC. Of course then we need to look at every other TB play as well to see if there were missed calls on them too.

Not to mention their offense’s basically a two man show. Watkins was injured and pretty much sucked. Hardman wasn’t any good.

Not to mention their offense’s basically a two man show. Watkins was injured and pretty much sucked. Hardman wasn’t any good.
Though true, I still have no idea how the game would go if the Chiefs could have fielded a healthier oline. JPP feasted all game. I don't have sympathy for the Chiefs though because we went threw injuries and distractions like deflategate heading into a super bowl etc. The only legit complaint imo was Honeybadgers int removal because of a ticky tac call.

How many picks did Mahomes get taken back on penalties? I’m not even a Bucs fan, but Brady is the goat, I’ll say.

Though true, I still have no idea how the game would go if the Chiefs could have fielded a healthier oline. JPP feasted all game. I don't have sympathy for the Chiefs though because we went threw injuries and distractions like deflategate heading into a super bowl etc. The only legit complaint imo was Honeybadgers int removal because of a ticky tac call.

Well the game would have been closer but i think the bucs would pulled it out. They dominated the on the offensive side of the football. They where very balanced. The chiefs DL didn’t do anything.

Many of these PI calls came in the first 5 games when Brady threw deep repeatedly. He actually stopped going deep as the season moved on.

Brady got 4 DPIs downfield in the first game alone.
Agree - check out the Super Bowl itself, that might as well have been a Patriots game plan on offense. They let Brady do what he was comfortable doing that game and it showed.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back