PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brad Penny

ausbacker

TB12
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Has the writing been on the wall for some time with Brad? His pitching has been less than impressive to start off this season.

Anything wrong with him or just going through a slump at the moment?

Last edited:
He is dreadful. DFA and give the spot to Bowden or Buchholz.

Don't know if it'll help, but the dude needs to lose about 50 pounds.

First loss of the year for him and you guys already want to get rid of him?

He was brought in as a placeholder for Smoltz, any positive production from him(prior wins) is a plus for them. He won't win every game and certainly won't lose them all.

He was brought in as a placeholder for Smoltz, any positive production from him(prior wins) is a plus for them. He won't win every game and certainly won't lose them all.

8.66 ERA and 1.98 WHIP. Teams with that in their rotation do not make the playoffs.

I'm not advocating getting rid of him, I'm concerned with the quality of his pitching. He doesn't seem to have any control at the moment, and I was asking the question why?

8.66 ERA and 1.98 WHIP. Teams with that in their rotation do not make the playoffs.

Those stats are only 14 innings worth.

The Sox made the playoffs just fine with 76 innings worth of 6.75era and 1.763 whip from Buchholz last year.

I'm not advocating getting rid of him, I'm concerned with the quality of his pitching. He doesn't seem to have any control at the moment, and I was asking the question why?

I don't believe he's lost control yet to the point to be concerned, I believe he didn't get the right calls on some of his pitches. To me he could have pitched through the trouble and had some confidence put into him which would turn things around.

Those stats are only 14 innings worth.

The Sox made the playoffs just fine with 76 innings worth of 6.75era and 1.763 whip from Buchholz last year.

Bucholz is a bad example after what happened to him after his injury...before it he was decent, after it he was poor.

Bucholz is a bad example after what happened to him after his injury...before it he was decent, after it he was poor.

That wasn't it. He was never really pitching well for an extended period of time last year. Injuries weren't his problem last year. It was all in his head.

That wasn't it. He was never really pitching well for an extended period of time last year. Injuries weren't his problem last year. It was all in his head.

He was doing alright before, 2-3 record with an ERA around 5.2 or so.

It's still early, but some of us saw this coming. Well, maybe not this bad. If you look at his career splits on the road (his two home parks have been Florida, and the Dodgers, both pitchers havens), and against AL competition, they aren't good. I believe the era in those situations is a touch over 5. He's got a live arm though, and it is only May 1st, so who knows. Maybe he'll make adjustments, and if he doesn't, he's no big loss to the Sox.

Brad Penny reminds me of Bob Stanley ... can't get out of his own eff'n way in the early part of the game.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back