Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What should we do with Bourne/Parker in 2023?

• Keep Parker, cut ties with Bourne

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Keep Bourne, cut ties with Parker

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Keep both

Votes: 63 80.8%
  • Cut ties with both

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
yes it would be nice to add another good receiver, whether it’s Higgins or Hopkins or Woods or somebody else, but that’s less important than solidifying the OL IMO.
Yes, we have, and should keep, Bourne, Parker and Thornton.
============
I think that we NEED a 4th productive receiver for 2023. As we know, all 4 won't likely be available for all our games, so four are necessary.

We aren't ADDING. We are replacing Meyers and Agholor.

Adding a Rookie who can play the Edelman Role (lining up in the slot or moving outside) would be best. You develop them behind Bourne while giving Thornton more reps on the outside opposite Parker and utilizing Thornton's speed with routes such as slants, GOs, Corners and Posts with the occasional out in/out/button hook thrown in. The Pats almost never hit Thornton in stride last year. He was running too many routes that required him to stop and sit. That just plays to the defense and away from Thornton's strengths.

Adding a Rookie who can play the Edelman Role (lining up in the slot or moving outside) would be best. You develop them behind Bourne while giving Thornton more reps on the outside opposite Parker and utilizing Thornton's speed with routes such as slants, GOs, Corners and Posts with the occasional out in/out/button hook thrown in. The Pats almost never hit Thornton in stride last year. He was running too many routes that required him to stop and sit. That just plays to the defense and away from Thornton's strengths.
The key isn't finding this rookie to be a backup slot receiver, although certainly a good idea.

The KEY is recognizing that Bourne should be our slot receiver. That was a HUGE issue in 2022.
==============
We have 3 starters, Parker and Thornton outside, and Bourne in the slot.

We will add an outside WR, who will be one of the corp of three.

Add, yes I do expect us to add a 5th/6th who will be on the roster or the Practice Squad. We have had Wilkerson and Nixon.

IMO, while it would be nice to have both, I think one goes. In my opinion, Meyers will be retained but will cost a little more than they ideally would have wanted to spend. Additionally, they’ll trade for a “number 1” guy like Hopkins or someone else (or draft a WR in the 1st). At that point you have Bourne and Parker contending for the number 3 role. Neither are super pricey but are still several million you could get back by moving and could get a draft pick for. Plus you still have Thornton. I doubt they’ll have Thorton as the 5th guy so someone will have to get moved, and my guess is it would be Parker who would probably net better compensation (though I’m a bit biased as I am still a little partial to Bourne and think he can eventually be a high-end number 2 guy…)

If they do not acquire a number 1 guy or if Meyers isn’t retained (or neither) then certainly I could see both guys staying but it feels like a risky proposition to have them both playing out the final year of their deals.

Parker is a possession receiver at $6M - very doubtful he leaves. Bourne and Thornton are cheap too. Is Meyers 3x better value? I think the Pats solve the OL problem this year and the WRs next year. Meyers will be too expensive and Hopkins is too old. The Pats need to find a slot guy in the draft who.is more athletic than Myers.

Parker is a possession receiver at $6M - very doubtful he leaves. Bourne and Thornton are cheap too. Is Meyers 3x better value? I think the Pats solve the OL problem this year and the WRs next year. Meyers will be too expensive and Hopkins is too old. The Pats need to find a slot guy in the draft who.is more athletic than Myers.
Just thinking aloud ...

I think possession receiver is used to mean one (or both) of two things: 1. a receiver who doesn't create a ton of separation but manages to catch balls, 2. a receiver who helps the offense maintain possession (particularly by extending drives with 3rd/4th down catches).

Parker qualifies as '1' but less so '2'. I'd also say he's a 50-50, contested catch receiver. And ideally a downfield/over-the-top receiver (even if that threat comes via contested catch ability rather than speed/separation).

I like him. I also think he's mentally tough, is a good cultural fit, and brings the right attitude. Did some good stuff with Zappe, too. On his salary, hard to see how you don't keep him (unless you stumble upon a capable alternative and Parker's value in a trade come August exceeds his value on the roster).

Weird to hold record against Parker but not Bourne. They were 1-6 when Bourne had more than 20 receiving yards.
This is true, but we know how impactful he was in 2021.

IF we take Zay Flowers @14 some might be pissed but I would be very happy. Flowers would be a #1 WR here instantly!

He might be the most Patriots type WR in the draft. I know he isn't the exact same player that Edelman was, but he certainly could play the Edelman role. I don't know if Flowers should go that high, but he would probably be the best selection for the Pats if they are drafting a WR on day one. They could probably trade down and get draft capital and still draft Flowers in the 20s.

I think Bourne is going to excel in O'Brien's offense. He did really well in McDaniels' system and I felt they under used him in 2021. He is built for this type of offense. He is a quick guy who can get YAC. I don't see him going anywhere.

And Parker is a very good receiver when healthy. His problem is staying healthy. But at $5.7 million base salary, it would be stupid to let him go unless they can use him as trade capital to get an elite WR.

Just thinking aloud ...

I think possession receiver is used to mean one (or both) of two things: 1. a receiver who doesn't create a ton of separation but manages to catch balls, 2. a receiver who helps the offense maintain possession (particularly by extending drives with 3rd/4th down catches).

Parker qualifies as '1' but less so '2'. I'd also say he's a 50-50, contested catch receiver. And ideally a downfield/over-the-top receiver (even if that threat comes via contested catch ability rather than speed/separation).

I like him. I also think he's mentally tough, is a good cultural fit, and brings the right attitude. Did some good stuff with Zappe, too. On his salary, hard to see how you don't keep him (unless you stumble upon a capable alternative and Parker's value in a trade come August exceeds his value on the roster).

Parker ran a 4.45 sec 40 at his combine, so at almost at 6'3" tall, Parker is quite fast. For example, Tee Highins ran a 4.54 sec 40, so Parker is faster than Higgins (who posters want to trade for). So the notion that Parker does not create separation is based on what?

Just thinking aloud ...

Good points about Parker’s mental makeup and cultural fit. I liked what I saw from him last season in those departments.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back