PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bourne Again

n6249c

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I liked this article about KB at the Big Brothers Big Sisters golf event, and it got me wondering about his potential upside.

we all know he had his best season in the NFL last year, his first with the Patriots. It’s normal to see a jump in performance from players for their second year in the system, so I’d expect some improvement this year. Now I’m reading this about his training and emphasis on becoming more explosive and I think it’s very likely he hasn’t come close to his ceiling yet. That leaves the question, how good could he be? What do you think?

“I really focused on my explosion,” Bourne said. “Just jumping — reaction jumping. Like, if the ball’s high in the air, I have to be able to just react. I can’t think about it. My mind and body have to be in sync. That’s one of the biggest things (I worked on).”

He added: “(I’m playing) kind of the same role, just using me in a lot of different ways. But a lot more explosion. I feel like I’m a lot stronger. I’m getting better as the years go on, man, and I’m just a lot more comfortable with New England. Just playing with a lot more confidence this year, so we’ll see how it goes. I’m excited.”
Why Patriots' Kendrick Bourne Expects 'Better' 2022 For Him, Mac Jones

He needs to be the primary slot WR bumping Myers to #4.

I have high hopes for him. Very high, even. Going more by his performance last year + age + second year in system + qb is no longer a rookie.

Not really giving much weight to any offseason storylines about being stronger or whatever, since guys are always saying that. Never heard a guy say he didn't work on anything during the offseason and that he feels super weak but is hoping for the best.

He needs to be the primary slot WR bumping Myers to #4.
Would slot be limiting him? Could he compete with Parker for his role? Maybe be the #1 WR overall?

Would slot be limiting him?
I say this so Parker and Agholor/Thornton are on the outside.
Could he compete with Parker for his role? Maybe be the #1 WR overall?
I'm sure he could compete for the #1 WR as Parker is not a sure thing.

Now I’m reading this about his training and emphasis on becoming more explosive and I think it’s very likely he hasn’t come close to his ceiling yet. That leaves the question, how good could he be?
Same "explosion" trainer as N'Keal?

Would slot be limiting him? Could he compete with Parker for his role? Maybe be the #1 WR overall?
6ie2af.gif

Could someone explain what you think a #1 receiver is? I am not sure you all are using the term correctly.

Hey, all I need to know about Kendrick Bourne is this: With a ROOKIE QB, NEW offense, playing ONLY 30% of. the offensive snaps; he produced 800 yds of passing yds. So if he gets say 50% of the offensive snaps, with a better QB, in an offense he knows a lot better, it isn't a big stretch to predict that Bourne will improve on those offensive numbers.

But here's the thing. Bourne ISN'T going to be the #1 receiver on the Pats which guarantees him 10-15 targets a game. That's the beauty of NOT having one. The defense cannot load up the defense on any one receiver. The Pats have at least 4 proven NFL quality WR's, 2 legitimate TE targets. 3 solid RB targets including (health willing) one who is among the greatest 3rd down RB's in the history of the game. Maybe a little hyperbole in that last sentence, but White certainly helped define the role of "3rd down RB" over the last decade.

The Pats look like they have a QB who is smart enough to deal with a game specific offense that will try and exploit match ups created by formations, motions and play calling to gain advantages each week. In that kind of offense when you don't have to force feed a #1, A guy like Bourne will get say just 5-10 targets a game and your QB is likely to have UNDER 30 attempts/game than over. This will again be a run first offense or at least running it 45-50% of the time a game. The key to the Pats passing offense will be how EFFECTIVE it will been helping them move the sticks, reduce TO's and score points.

In an offense like that, individual stats are diminished (except in fantasy football) because you try your best to create as many redundancies into the personnel so the offense doesn't become bogged down when the inevitable injuries occur. Of course most of the back ups WON'T be as good as the starters, but they have to be good enough to fill in their spots AND be somewhat productive. For example if Bourne goes down for a couple of games, I'm confident a guy like Meyers would be an adequate fill in. If Agular goes down, I'd like to think Thornton could fill in as a plus talent, but with a rookie's inexperience. If Parker went down, I'd like to think one of our TE's could fill the need for having a big receiver in the mix.

TC will actually decide how those roles will ACTUALLY be filled, I only used those names to help paint the picture of what the Pats offense has successfully accomplished for most of the 2 decades with Brady where he had a true #1 for only 2 years.

Listen and get used to it. The mediots will look at whatever the roster ends up to be and determine that the Pats will rank around 15-20 in relative talent compared to their peers. But that is INDIVIDUAL talent, and we should all know by now that in the game of football the sum is often GREATER than the individual parts, because football, in the end, still IS the greatest TEAM sport.

Somewhere along the line the mediots started to make it ALL about the individual stars and highlight plays and soon it wasn't about the Pats vs Colts, but rather Brady vs Manning, AND eventually we bought it,

Remember back in the early days of the first dynasty when other fans and a lot of us would go to the each other's boards and do the comparative of how we match up at TE, LT, LG, etc game. Within a few years we stopped doing that game (which I was happy, though having fans of other teams come to our board and us going to theirs without trolling is something I miss). The reason we stopped is we all realized that those sorts of INDIVIDUAL comparisons were meaningless to start with. Yet now we are falling back into that myth. Ryan Clark says Miami's talent is better than ours and we have to start a long thread about it shouldn't have gone on for more than a page.

In the end it will ALWAYS be on a given Sunday, which TEAM is better, NOT what the individual talent is one deep.

Last edited:
Could someone explain what you think a #1 receiver is? I am not sure you all are using the term correctly.
I agree with PFK that the Pats generally do not have a true number 1 receiver, but I’m going to answer this anyway.

to me the #1 WR is the guy that gets first attention from opposing DCs. They guy they make their top priority when game planning, the one they devote the most resources to stopping. He’s also the one guy who is most likely to go off and make the big plays, game changing plays, if not held in check.

Ken is right, in the Patriots’ offense there is no true number one because they spread it around. It used to be axiomatic that TB12’s favorite receiver was the one that was open (before Moss ruined that outlook). But there’s still usually one guy that gets the first look, especially when the chips are down. That’s the guy who is the number one.

in short, the top dog.

Trying to use Bourne in the Deebo role. Judge comes in and scraps 20 years of Bill's playbook to put in his version of a Shannahan scheme. What could go wrong?

Trying to use Bourne in the Deebo role. Judge comes in and scraps 20 years of Bill's playbook to put in his version of a Shannahan scheme. What could go wrong?
Bourne is a completely different type of player than Deebo.

Edit: ok never mind… I forgot they are both wide receivers.

Hey Bourne, tell Mac to organize another backyard practice on some field soon. Get all the pass catchers out there. Then I wanna see Tyquan unleashed on the field. Coach is going to regulate him to 3rd team during camp for a while. Work his way up like everyone else mentality. I wanna see a preview of this kid now!

Seems like the offense would transition to more passing. More 4 - 5 wide. More opportunities deep. I cannot imagine rushing more.

WR - Pats kept Agahlor and added Thornton and Parker. All 3 have downfield capabilities. Add Myers and Bourne.
TE - Henry is a 600 yard TE easy.
RB - White returns and Montgomery has receiving experience.

When Brady came in, the Pats started focusing on the spread. Passing on 1st down all you need is 5 yards. That puts you in a manageable 2nd and 5 where you can take a shot downfield or run. If you hit deep great, but if not you still have a manageable 3rd and 5 where a run or pass is a viable option.

Too many time McDaniels would run on every 1st down starting a new drives. Too many times the Pats gained a couple of yards. The offense was predictable and it seemed like NE was always in 2nd and long or 3rd and long downs.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back