PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bortles

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHPats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I want to hear your guys' opinions on Blake Bortles' ability and what he brings to the table. I don't want to hear the talking heads from the media and ex-NFL jocks giving their "expert opinions." I'd like to hear your guys' opinions because a lot of you have some really great insights and analysis on the games and players, you guys really know football and I learn a lot reading these forums. So what's Bortles skill-set? What are his strengths and weaknesses? What do we expect from him? Lost in all of the talk about the Jax D is their QB, which is, as we know, a very critical position in the game of football. So let's hear your guys' thoughts :)

I’m not an NFL scout/talent evaluator. So, take this with a grain of salt. I’ve watched 3 Jags games this year and after every game commented to my company on how bad I feel for those WR’s he throws the ball to. That team is talented. They win in spite of Bortles. Sure, the guy has done what he has had to do to win, and I’ll give him credit for that. But, that coaching staff and his team mates have put him in some great spots to be successful and he has taken advantage. Take away those guys, and you force him to win the game, and he’s just not going to do that.

I expect chortles for Bortles.

Well he is athletic and can run out of the pocket, he has a strong arm, not real accurate. Best case he is a game manager who you hope doesn't turn the ball over.

Their passing game is based off play action where the Patriots set up the run with the pass often.

Well he is athletic and can run out of the pocket, he has a strong arm, not real accurate. Best case he is a game manager who you hope doesn't turn the ball over.

Their passing game is based off play action where the Patriots set up the run with the pass often.

Bortles is a good runner, so I would expect a lot of emphasis in practice this week in keeping the QB in the pocket.

Will our defense give up over 200 yards passing to bortles? It doesn't matter as long as we keep them out of the endzone. Gotta hold them under 21.

Bortles was very effective on 3rd down vs the Steelers, especially late. At least 2 or 3 times they ran twice to set up like 3rd and 5, and he converted with a pass. Also after the Steelers closed to 28-21, twice the Jags had drives that would have been 3 and out, and twice Bortles converted on 3rd down, gaining field position and time for the defense to rest. In a way, those 2 drives that did not result in points may have saved the Jags. Steelers got no pressure on him - he stepped up and hit key throw after key throw.

He’s the kind of guy who could back up ray Charles at qb

All mimsy were the borogoves, and the mome raths outgrabe.

When beetles fight these battles in a bortle with their paddles
and the bortle's on a poodle and the poodle's eating noodles...
...they call this a muddle puddle tweetle poodle beetle noodle
bortle paddle battle.

Bortles has a big arm but struggles with accuracy.
He was thrown to the wolves on a terrible team as a rookie. He had a promising year 2 and has declined since.
He is mobile. He easily gets flustered when a play breaks down or his reads are covered and throws a lot of picks in those situations as he seems to let the clock in his head force him to throw into tight situations or not see the field when he is moving and not see defenders.

In general I would consider him a young QB who has issues but potential but right now his head is messed up. He doesn’t want to take chances and seems to tuck it and run when a good throw down the field is needed but when the rush closes in he makes boneheaded decisions trying to get rid of the ball.
With B.B. ready to expose his weaknesses and force him into things he doesn’t want to do there is a pretty good chance that bortles will be the worst player on the field Sunday

I see him as a poor man’s flacco but one willing to run and use the read option as much as a mariota.

To me it’s the same gameplan as last week. Have marquis flowers spy on bortles, watch playaction, but if they contain/remove fournette/yeldon from the picture, playaction won’t be an option.

Also, i noticed he runs hot and cold so let us hope he goes cold this week.

Not a world beater but can make a play. I watched Seahawks game, he threw great 75 yard TD across the middle.

He’s a lot like Mariota. The whole jags team is supposedly a slightly better version of the titans but lost to them twice this year.

As I said before, he may not be flashy, he just does enough to win games, reminds me of that 2000 ravens team who literally carried Dilfer to a championship.

That defense has carried them all season, the run block has been excellent and Fournette has been having a pro bowl type season...so there you have it.

But again you got to realize, that defense gave up 40 points to the Steelers, a BB coached team will be disciplined, we may give them field goals, but it’s gonna be hard for them to score touch downs.

Lastly, the Steelers don’t have someone like Gronk. We have dual threat as a running game, Lewis and White. Hopefully our pass protection holds the first two qts, but the 3rd they should be gassed, they are not a cold weather team.

Bortles is a good runner, so I would expect a lot of emphasis in practice this week in keeping the QB in the pocket.

He is, but I dont think he is naturally a good runner I mean, he wasnt built for that but they had to add that element to his game because purely as a pocket passer he sucks. I dont think he can cause damage with his legs like Cam Newton or Russell Wilson can.

I expect BB to get into his head and force him to throw.

Guys an idiot he's more concerned with his bro life than his pro life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes