PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS BoB officially back

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Oops ... I was bouncing between posts and work, and got Hoyer on the brain. Hoyer for Scout Team Director - old an confused today I guess.
My bad. I'm the one that's confused. Lol

The big question is whether the offense can catch up to the top tier in the AFC, which is extremely good as we saw in the playoffs. There's no doubt it can, but it will take four or five special players to make that leap.
Yup, folks used to be 2 players away, as long as their names were Montana and Rice, or brady and Moss.

4 or 5 special players is a lot to add.
============
I don't think that we are anywhere close to the top tier of offenses in the AFC, nor will we be anytime soon.

That "fact" does NOT mean that we cannot compete deep in the playoffs if we have a top defense and top special teams (and, obviously, greatly improved coaching).

Yup, folks used to be 2 players away, as long as their names were Montana and Rice, or brady and Moss.

4 or 5 special players is a lot to add.
============
I don't think that we are anywhere close to the top tier of offenses in the AFC, nor will we be anytime soon.

That "fact" does NOT mean that we cannot compete deep in the playoffs if we have a top defense and top special teams (and, obviously, greatly improved coaching).
I'm slightly more optimistic about taking a big leap forward given all the cap space and draft capital to work with, combined with BB calling our Robert Kraft about spending.

They have enough chips on the table to strengthen the offensive line. They need both an interior lineman and OT. I'd like to see a proven veteran and a top-five at his position pick in the first round at #14 overall. It's a good year for offensive linemen in the draft with several marquee players from the big schools on the board. G-C Paris Johnson from Ohio State or OT Tyler Steen from Alabama should be on the board at #14. On the FA side, T Andre Dillard from the Eagles will be looking for a pay day.

Most people around here get all juiced up about skill players. Mac needs time and the backs need bulldozers. BB and Bill O'Brien should get a first rate OL coach and a couple of plug and play guys to give the skill players the help they need, especially the tight ends who had to spend too much time staying in to pick up blitzes instead of leveraging their YAC skills.

I'd also love to see a big ol' nasty fullback in the lineup to hammer the line on short yardage and block for Mac Jones. A James Develin or Sam Gash type would be great. Those guys loved contact and could both be counted on to catch a pass when the defense paid them little attention. Old school football still wins games.

Most people around here get all juiced up about skill players. Mac needs time and the backs need bulldozers. BB and Bill O'Brien should get a first rate OL coach and a couple of plug and play guys to give the skill players the help they need, especially the tight ends who had to spend too much time staying in to pick up blitzes instead of leveraging their YAC skills.
Get the OL working right and people will be amazed at how much better skill players suddenly become.

Seems like a lot of people don't think much of the move, I'm surprised

I think the move is good enough to get us back to having a winning record.

Obviously, roster wise, this team still has a ceiling, and they seem very schedule dependent. Against bad teams or backup QBs, at least our offense will be productive. Against good teams, more games will hopefully be like that Vikings game, where have a shot to win.

The Question is, will Mac be clutch?

Jules very positive about the move, found his insight interesting.

“He’s a tough coach,” said Edelman. “He’s going to tell you how he sees it. But the thing that I like about Billy O is it’s going to allow Coach Belichick to really focus on everything else on the team. It felt like little things were slipping away this last year, little details that you always see — special teams, situational-type football, a lot of brain farts.

“So Billy O being there, it allows Bill to kind of sit there and say, ‘Alright, I know what Billy O is. He’s a former head coach. I can bounce ideas off of him.’ But [Belichick] can think of the macro now. He can focus on the macro, and that’s why Bill’s the best, because he can usually do that. I think he had his foot in it last year and it was taking him away from those little things here and there.”

Seems like a lot of people don't think much of the move, I'm surprised

I think the move is good enough to get us back to having a winning record.

Obviously, roster wise, this team still has a ceiling, and they seem very schedule dependent. Against bad teams or backup QBs, at least our offense will be productive. Against good teams, more games will hopefully be like that Vikings game, where have a shot to win.

The Question is, will Mac be clutch?

I think it's a huge move. If you read the herald article we were barely running or practicing an NFL offense. So just getting back to 2021 competency is a playoff team.

Now the question is the ceiling. Can Mac get back on track and improve vs what he was his rookie year? We also need more talent on offense. what happens with Meyers? Is Meyers, Bourne, Thornton, parker with hunter Henry enough to compete in today's NFL?

Alot of questions.

I think it's a huge move. If you read the herald article we were barely running or practicing an NFL offense. So just getting back to 2021 competency is a playoff team.

Now the question is the ceiling. Can Mac get back on track and improve vs what he was his rookie year? We also need more talent on offense. what happens with Meyers? Is Meyers, Bourne, Thornton, parker with hunter Henry enough to compete in today's NFL?

Alot of questions.
I think BOB will utilize the TEs more, that will help, still like to see them draft a top WR.

He better bring in some of his own guys to muscle out the incompetent coaches in the offensive room, have a say in the draft, and the stature to say F off to the head coach who needs to stop being involved in offense, whether supporting QBs who don’t know the playbook (Cam Newton), installing his cronies who were failures as head coaches (and despised by those fan bases), and running new schemes that are less than successful.

Say “Matt Patricia!” really forcefully to a Detroit Lions fan and they automatically feel the stomach acid riding up the esophagus. He sucked that bad.

Do you think BoB watched all of the games over this year and last before he interviewed, or is that something he's diving deep into now?

Would love to be a fly on the wall while he watches game film

Two guys with O’Brien connections will not be rejoining him, as Tim Kelly is the Titans’ new OC and Charles London is the passing game coordinator and QB coach. Like Will Lawing, they worked for O’Brien both at Penn State and the Texans. (Unlike Lawing, they stayed in the NFL the past two seasons while O’Brien was at Alabama.)

Probably won’t see John Perry (former Texans WR coach) in NE either, as he was recently quoted in a Mark Daniels article in the context of a potential Hopkins trade.

George Godsey (former Texans OC and Pats TE coach, current Ravens TE coach) and Mike Devlin (former Texans OL coach, current Ravens assistant OL coach) could still be options depending on what happens with their OC search. Obviously, Devlin isn’t a candidate for the lead OL coach job in NE anymore.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back