PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bob McGinn And His Scouts

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Always a great read this time of year, here are the anonymous scouts discussing the OL.

Here's Laken Tomlinson:

3. LAKEN TOMLINSON, Duke (6-3½, 319, 5.26, 1-2): Four-year starter at RG. "If there's a first-round guard in this draft and he's not a conversion it's Tomlinson," one scout said. "He's a plug-and-play, start-first-day right or left guard. He plays better than (Chance) Warmack. He's big, athletic, he can pull, he can block at the point, he's smart. He might be a great center, too, if you tried him there." Born in Jamaica, moved to the U.S. at 10. "He wants to be a doctor," said another scout. "Some people want to be sure he's committed to football, which I think he is. The kid loves football. Has played a ton of football. High character. Has ambitions outside football." Graduated from Chicago Lane Tech. "He looks better on the hoof than any subject in the draft other than Scherff," a third scout said. "Great kid, smart (Wonderlic of 23). But how many Duke linemen have there been? You can't name them. Plus, he gets over his toes. He's top-heavy."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...-offensive-linemen-b99486136z1-301296461.html

I really liked this description of Rashad Greene:

13. RASHAD GREENE, Florida State (5-11½, 180, 4.49, 2-3): Led leading receivers with 24 on the Wonderlic. "Smart, smooth, exceptional route runner, very good hands," one scout said. "He's like Robert Brooks." Rewrote the Seminoles' record book, finishing with 270 catches for 3,830 (14.2) and 29 TDs. "One of our scouts said he'll get picked behind a bunch of receivers but he might wind up having a better career or numbers than a lot who are picked ahead of him because he's so steady," said another scout. From Albany, Ga. "There's nothing special about the kid," said a third scout. "He's a pretty good football player but he's 180 and you don't see any real speed or quickness."

I know nothing about him - haven't had time to follow the draft this year - but thought it was cool anyway

I know nothing about him - haven't had time to follow the draft this year - but thought it was cool anyway

Speak to @patsinthesnow about him. He loves him.

Jaelen Strong was the one that interested me. I haven't been that interested in him, but this piqued my interest:

. JAELEN STRONG, Arizona State (6-2½, 218, 4.43, 1-2): Fourth-year junior spent two years in junior college before arriving in Tempe. "Reminds me of Larry Fitzgerald except he's faster," said one scout. "People can't cover him on the back shoulders and fades because he has amazing talent to leap like Fitzgerald had. He's excellent ball tracking, hands, jumping, in traffic. Became a star playing with a very average quarterback. I thought he'd run 4.55. It shocked me." Scored the highest on the Wonderlic (22) of the top 12 WRs. "A big, physical, jump-ball type receiver," another scout said. "He can outsize defensive backs and is good with the ball in his hand. Limited as a route runner." Played late in the season with a wrist injury that has led one team to reject him medically. Finished with 157 catches for 2,287 (14.6) and 17 TDs. "If you watch him play, he looks more like a possession guy," a third scout said. "I don't see the great fanfare in his play. He's adequate. I don't think he's sensational." From Philadelphia.

Found this:

which reminded me of Ochocinco... which is the same thing I said about Philip Dorsett, but whatever.

Always a great read this time of year, here are the anonymous scouts discussing the OL.

I just read this again more carefully. IMO the takeaway message is that this is a pretty good year to need a guard, and a lousy year to need a left tackle.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back