PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blount: To this day I don't think the Patriots (and Eagles) have been able to replace me

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score

He is correct to this point - but not for much longer hopefully.

Blount did tend to disappear in the playoffs though against defenses designed to stop the run. His postseason stats against teams not named the Colts or Patriots aren't the greatest. Even Sony showed up in the postseason.

credit Joe for picking Harris

With that said - the Pats letting Blount walk in 2017 sure looks like a blunder looking back. Went with Lewis instead who is not an NFL feature back. And then there's Gillislee - oof.

Blount ran through our defense in LII although that isn't saying much when Jordan Richards is trying to tackle him

Eh... on one hand, he’s right. Harris looks great, but we don’t know if he’s going to be Blount for us yet. On the other hand, even though I’m disappointed with Sony (especially so as someone who loved him in the draft), he did come up big for the team in the 2018 run.

The Philthadelphia Fecals definitely haven’t replaced him, to date though. Doesn’t sound like a very fun situation to be in.

Blount did tend to disappear in the playoffs though against defenses designed to stop the run.
This is why they drafted Michel. They envisioned a dual threat back and were trying to get away from the obvious only runner back in Blount. Ironically, Sony is only a runner.
credit Joe for picking Harris
Who is Joe?
And then there's Gillislee - oof.
He benefited from the RPO offense in Buffalo with the threat of Tyrod Taylor running. BB was trying to jam a square peg (Gillislee) in a round hole (making him a LaGarrette Blount type power back). It was obvious Gillislee hated his role with the Pats as he was repeatedly frustrated after almost every carry.

Blount also had a huge fumble vs ATL. I think they replaced him fine, to which the sixth supper bowl would attest

I liked Blount as a complimentary player but he was pretty much a non factor in 6 of his 8 playoff games. He was huge in the 2 blowout wins against the Colts but was under 50 yards and 4 yards a carry in the other 6. Complete non factor against Seattle and Atlanta in the Super Bowls. He did unfortunately have a couple nice runs against the Pats. I would be disappointed if Harris does not have a significantly better career.

I don’t see how he can say he was never replaced when sony had one of the top 7 or 8 postseasons for a rb ever while helping us to a title. Blount was a decent starter on a cheap salary,and a great teammate, but theres a reason we let him walk twice when he couldve been back for peanuts, and both times 30 other gm’s seemed to agree as there was next to no interest.

Loved Blount...he was a truck...but it took him to long to get in a groove during games...he ran hot and cold to often. Wish we had him in 2017 though.

Iggles could have used him last night. No between the tackles runner on that team.

Well guess we can all have our opinion lol, love Blount. There aren’t many guys who loved playing here more than Blount did.

Harris is already better than Blount ever was to be honest, I think Harris will be one of the best backs in the league.

I remember Pot Roast shutting Blount down in the 2015 AFCCG and was happy to see the Pats pick him up....

...and then he didn’t make the team. LOL

With that said - the Pats letting Blount walk in 2017 sure looks like a blunder looking back. Went with Lewis instead who is not an NFL feature back. And then there's Gillislee - oof.

Blount ran through our defense in LII although that isn't saying much when Jordan Richards is trying to tackle him
Yep, if Bill had just kept Bluntman and never signed Gillislee (he had already signed Burkhead the previous month), then we could've kept pick #163 in that draft (a more-logical place to take Dee Wise anyway, which then would've left #131 available to use on George Kittle), and perhaps just maybe Blunt being here would've been enough to flip the result of SB52 (though I feel that the Chris Long switch had a bigger effect; and there was that whole Malcolm Butler thingy too...)

Last edited:

To be honest, we were fine in 2017 without Blount. Blount running through our defense was much more about the D than him. That D wouldn’t have been able to stop a 70 yo.

in 2018, Michel was a huge part of the championship and no one was talking about how much we missed Blount. 2019 was bad running wise but I think a combination of factor led to this not only Michel. I don’t think Blount would have had a different result last year.

Blount averaged 4.3 y/c in 2015 and 3.9 in 2016

Michel averaged 4.5 in 2018 and 3.7 in 2019

Overall, the same avg over two years.

Harris has a higher ceiling. Blount was always one of my favorites, but it was so annoying watching him try to make it out of the first level. Harris seems to make runs for himself a bit more.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back